Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This forum has gone to $hit

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bourgeois

People are going to come here and ask questions no matter what you do.
    Some guys are pi$$ed at answering these questions non stop-then let someone else answer them.

The people asking these questions don't want a generic answer-they feel that their set of circumstances is unique and their question will have a different answer from everyone elses.

How much traffic to this forum is from newish users looking to ask questions on visas and that? I'd say the majority.

I suppose its better than the "wheres the best Irish bar in town" sh!te.

I don't post here that often. I pop in to see whats happening every so often. TBH the place is dead most of the time apart from the "lazy" questions as ye like to call em.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

Anyone saying a forum is crap, I would question what their input has been into the forum.
    Different people asking the same question or similar often might infuriate some people but this is 1 country and people coming here are going to have similar questions to ask.
    Why limit answers to those questions to a handful of people and make that a sticky? A handful of people can't give totally accurate un-biased opinions or information.

If someone asks how much is a flight from X to Y that is just pure laziness.

If people are not happy with the forum may I give a suggestion, have a couple of sub forums like british expats - Immigration/Visas etc (for people wanting to come here) & The Barbie (for people already here)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Anyone saying a forum is crap, I would question what their input has been into the forum.
    Different people asking the same question or similar often might infuriate some people but this is 1 country and people coming here are going to have similar questions to ask.
    Why limit answers to those questions to a handful of people and make that a sticky? A handful of people can't give totally accurate un-biased opinions or information.

And that is why they should be using the search function because chances are that the answer is already there for them.

If someone asks how much is a flight from X to Y that is just pure laziness.
    If people are not happy with the forum may I give a suggestion, have a couple of sub forums like british expats - Immigration/Visas etc (for people wanting to come here) & The Barbie (for people already here)

The problem with the subforum idea as suggest above is that you essentially cut the forum in half and establish two communities. However people coming over need the people already here so if they're posting in two different places then you lose that high level of support that does exist.

I don't the issue is people creating threads, it's lazy people creating threads before they bother their arse to look beyound page one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

Xavi6 wrote: »
    The problem with the subforum idea as suggest above is that you essentially cut the forum in half and establish two communities. However people coming over need the people already here so if they're posting in two different places then you lose that high level of support that does exist.
    can't it be configured so that the main forum would also show all threads from subforums? that way there's no split, you see everything in the main forum, but you can still filter out specific information in a sub forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Spirow

I use google to search this forum all the time.
    Typing site:boards.ie and your question here... works a treat
    For example
    http://www.google.com.au/search?q=site%3Aboards.ie+Where+can+I+get+an+Australian+visa&btnG=Search&hl=en&source=hp&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

I know, I know...many of you will already know this but it is a great tool for people looking for specific information on a site.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I will help with a NZ FAQ if you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Good stuff jank

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

Spirow wrote: »
    I use google to search this forum all the time.
    Typing site:boards.ie and your question here... works a treat
    For example
    http://www.google.com.au/search?q=site%3Aboards.ie+Where+can+I+get+an+Australian+visa&btnG=Search&hl=en&source=hp&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=

I know, I know...many of you will already know this but it is a great tool for people looking for specific information on a site.

Wow, i never even knew this existed.

:eek::o

Advertisement