Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What subject is medicine most like?

• 03-02-2011 10:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭

I do all three sciences and I'm kind of getting worried because I really don't like what we've done in biology so far, which is a bit of plants and a bit of human biology. We haven't really gone near the cell a whole lot, but I did a huge project on apoptosis for biology in 4th year that was fascinating.

I really enjoy chemistry and physics because theres lots of understanding and interesting questions, but biology is like just endless learning off by heart and theres no why is that that way. I mean it says in the book that the kidney deals with hydrogen ions, do we ever find out how the body makes them into ions or is that just the end of it? I'm worried I'll end up in a course filled with endless rote learning. Is that the case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Biology *is* just that - rote learning, really, and I imagine stuff like physiology in medicine and perhaps anatomy have a lot of learning off too. I wouldn't be too discouraged though, nobody really likes rote learning (okay, not true, some people prefer, but can they say they love it?). But it's not learning by rote just for the sake of it, it's just that it's not difficult to understand the material on LC biology course, you just must learn it. But if you're interested in biology, you shouldn't find it too bad. However, as they say, 2 outta 3 ain't bad. :)

(Oh, and also, no, I don't think you do get to find out how the body makes hydrogen ions. But if you're interested, that's all do with the control blood pH (acid-base homeostasis), and I think you'll find if you looked it up it'll relate to some of the acids and bases stuff and Le Chatlier's Principle in chemistry, if ye've done that in chemistry. :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I do all three sciences and I'm kind of getting worried because I really don't like what we've done in biology so far, which is a bit of plants and a bit of human biology. We haven't really gone near the cell a whole lot, but I did a huge project on apoptosis for biology in 4th year that was fascinating.

I really enjoy chemistry and physics because theres lots of understanding and interesting questions, but biology is like just endless learning off by heart and theres no why is that that way. I mean it says in the book that the kidney deals with hydrogen ions, do we ever find out how the body makes them into ions or is that just the end of it? I'm worried I'll end up in a course filled with endless rote learning. Is that the case?

I probably won't be able to give too much information as I'm only in my 2nd year, but I haven't come across any plants yet! :P Human biology in the LC course is like a starter for a lot of the anatomy and physiology we do, so if you find it interesting you're getting a taster of some of the pre-clinical years theory.

We studied the cell (structure, genetics, cell cycles, etc) in biochemistry but we've only done 1 semester of that, theres only a small amount of biochem this semester. It'll come back in next year with Genetics and Molecular Medicine, and pathology in the following year.

For most of the exams so far, it has been a mixture of understanding the material and rote learning, I'm afraid! But its enjoyable at the same time, it is interesting and it doesn't feel as tedious as some rote learning for LC. For your particular question about the kidney, theres a lot of overlap between different modules and you'd find that something that is mentioned briefly in one area will be delved in deeper in a different area.

Any specific questions feel free to pm, but you'd probably get more information from older students on all that sort of thing on the Health Sciences Education forum :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Is there anywhere I can find sample papers of the exams? I mean I don't mind rote learning if its interesting, its just with biology at LC it feels like we are skimming over the surface and missing all the interesting parts like diseases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Is there anywhere I can find sample papers of the exams? I mean I don't mind rote learning if its interesting, its just with biology at LC it feels like we are skimming over the surface and missing all the interesting parts like diseases.
    You'd need a Trinity ID number or something I'd imagine. I can splurt out my Xmas test though if ye want?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

BTW, you don't do many diseases in the first year, perhaps second too. All about the healthy body. Though 3rd->5th are all about the diseases; good times!

• Advertisement
Advertisement