Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Sat Nav Please

Options
  • 03-02-2011 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭

Looking for cheap and cheerful Sat Nav for Mrs Scout!

Basically looking for decent Ireland maps first and foremost!

Overwhelmed by range of SatNavs out there - Garmin website has so many!

Saw Silvercrest one in Lidl yesterday for €88 - any advice appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

scout353 wrote: »
    Saw Silvercrest one in Lidl yesterday for €88 - any advice appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Don't bother, IMO. You'll get a better Garmin on sale for close to this money.

If you don't know what you want it's impossible to assist. Almost all units by anybody would do you, apparently.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There are two brands you need to stick with. Garmin or TomTom.
    Anthing else is a waste of money. You won't get map updates or software update after a very short period of time.

You can view Garmin devices here.
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134

and TomTom devices here
    http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products...tion/index.jsp

Compare between them & see what suits your needs & your price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

gbee wrote: »
    Don't bother, IMO. You'll get a better Garmin on sale for close to this money.

If you don't know what you want it's impossible to assist. Almost all units by anybody would do you, apparently.

Thanks for the answers.

All I want is a unit that has just Irish maps and is reasonably priced.

Seems like it is Garmin V Tom Tom so I'll have a look. It just looks like there are so many models to choose from. As you said GBee, if I can get a Garmin for around the price of the Lidl one then that's the choice!

From reading here, it seems that Garmin maps are better for Ireland, correct?

Thanks for the links KK

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

scout353 wrote: »
    From reading here, it seems that Garmin maps are better for Ireland, correct?
    Its a matter of opinion . I find little between them TBH.
    Tom Tom has the benefit of being able to correct some errors on your maps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

Navman any good?

• Advertisement

Merch wrote: »
    Navman any good?

Again the device is fine. Its the maps are the problem & how often you get updates. Tom Tom & Garmin are the only ones where you are sure of regular updates.

I got an update with my garmin and it was useless, I could see no changes and junctions in place for years not changed.

I think a good feature for GPS would be the ability to add an update, some kind of record feature,possibly confirm it online, allow said company to confirm it and update, means all users update the system for the company??

I think a good feature for GPS would be the ability to add an update, some kind of record feature,possibly confirm it online, allow said company to confirm it and update, means all users update the system for the company??
    Maybe something like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If you have an iPhone save yourself a fortune and buy a sat nav app. You only pay for the software.....

KoolKid wrote: »
    Maybe something like this?

Yes if only someone did something like that :)
    I thought that was a limited feature, must look into getting one of those Tom Toms

Re iPhones, I may go the route of an android phone eventually, I rather have individual devices to do individual things, never found multi function phones that were cameras/gps anygood

So OP from my own experience Garmin was good, but personally not that pleased with updates, the feature mentioned re updating Tom Tom sounds good.

• Advertisement

Re iPhones, I may go the route of an android phone eventually, I rather have individual devices to do individual things, never found multi function phones that were cameras/gps anygood.

Something like the X-10 Android [or better] and the iPhone 4 are pretty good.

As example my iPhone seems to be keeping up better for map updates and one can jump to satellite view too, pretty neat.

However, service is not available with any robustness on any network in Ireland, so at this time an iPhone cannot replace a SatNav which can see satellites.

In built up areas with good reception the iPhone is more accurate and will work indoors ~ but still not a replacement [yet].

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭championc

I got an update with my garmin and it was useless, I could see no changes and junctions in place for years not changed.

Navigon seem to be quite up to date with their maps. Q4 2010 had the correct M1 / M50 junction layout. However, I got Q1 2011 yesterday and sadly both the Finglas and Blanch junctions are still as they were originally. Lucan and Red Cow changed in maps ages ago.

So certainly, Navigon generally VERY up to date

Not really up to date if Finglas & Blanchardstown junctions with the M50 are still not updated:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭championc

Maybe I should have written it with GENERALLY written in capitals. I will certainly expect them to be up to date in Q2 2011. Navigon release 4 updates annually but you probably worked this out already.

So which other GPS suppliers have 2011 maps yet ? And for those that don't but maybe have 2010 updates, do they all have Red Cow, Lucan and M1/M50 junctions up to date ? And maybe more to the point, does any supplier have 2011 maps with Blanch and Finglas updated ?

Both Garmin and Tom tom have their 1st 2011 maps released.
    Tom tom had the new M50 intersections updated since last year.
    Whose maps are Navigon using?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 socheallaigh

I am looking for a good sat nav as well. Haven't used one before but some of the Garmins I see in taxis look pretty nifty.
    Basically I want maps for ireland, uk and europe. And under e300. Any recommendations?

The TomTom GO1000 live will fit your budget there.
    Also getting 1 years free live services.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Gonna jump on this thread if that's okay, heading to the states and don't want to throw my money away with an extended rental period for a Sat Nav.
    Please recommend me a good quality Sat Nav with American maps, europe too I suppose.
    I know nothing about Sat Navs so is this guy okay with this map?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »
    Europe/dp/B0021L9BJC/ref=acc_glance_ce_ai_ps_t_1"]this guy[/URL] okay with this map?

Short answer is yes. But I'd recommend you get better as many features are implemented in the US. Alternatively you car rental will probably have inbuilt anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭mossie

championc wrote: »
    Navigon seem to be quite up to date with their maps. Q4 2010 had the correct M1 / M50 junction layout. However, I got Q1 2011 yesterday and sadly both the Finglas and Blanch junctions are still as they were originally. Lucan and Red Cow changed in maps ages ago.

So certainly, Navigon generally VERY up to date

Navigon maps are the best I've seen but they are let down by erratic navigation. I've had one for a couple of years and it never suggest routes that I know to be the shortest or quickest. it always seems to route around every little village even if it adds 10km to the route. i had a long email correspondence with Navigon but they consider this to be a "feature" rather than a bug.

• Advertisement
Advertisement