Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pharmacology textbook

Options
  • 03-02-2011 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭

I've spent the past two and a half years borrowing friends' copies of Rang and Dale so I figure it's time to get my own book.

Thing is I really don't like R+D so was wondering if anyone could recommend another pharmacology textbook?

Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Sitric

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

I've been looking through amazon reviews...the Lange one gets good ones but some say the latest edition isn't very good.

Also looking up lippincott which rang and dale haters seem to prefer but others say there's a lot of mistakes in it.

We're only allowed four books from the library which is why I'm resorting to reading reviews/forums :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

at least have a read through the ebook of the different alternatives.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭SomeDose

I used Rang & Dale to get me through 3 years of clinical pharmacology / therapeutics in a pharmacy degree, so I guess I can't really criticise it. However, I also had the thick end of 1000hrs of lectures so probably wasn't ultra-reliant on a core text.

I suspect there may be slightly better resources out there though. Does it have to be strictly pharmacology-only? I used Walker & Edwards (Clinical Pharmacy & Therapeutics) as a reference text for a PgDip, as it provides a more disease-focussed and therapeutics angle than the pure pharmacology texts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭Chunky Monkey

at least have a read through the ebook of the different alternatives.

You're right, I'm going to take out a couple over the weekend and compare, the reviews are all contradicting each other, so that's not gonna work.
    SomeDose wrote: »
    I used Rang & Dale to get me through 3 years of clinical pharmacology / therapeutics in a pharmacy degree, so I guess I can't really criticise it. However, I also had the thick end of 1000hrs of lectures so probably wasn't ultra-reliant on a core text.

I suspect there may be slightly better resources out there though. Does it have to be strictly pharmacology-only? I used Walker & Edwards (Clinical Pharmacy & Therapeutics) as a reference text for a PgDip, as it provides a more disease-focussed and therapeutics angle than the pure pharmacology texts.

I'm in year 3 medicine but unfortunately, pharmacology isn't really taught here so I need a good book. I don't want to go into too much detail, just know the jist about the MoA and main indications/contraindications (but in a bit more detail than the BNF). That Walker and Edwards book sounds more like what I need, I'll check it out, thank you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I'm doing some exams at the moment and I'm finding Goodman and Gillman to be quite good. It's a bit wordy and doesn't have the same number of pretty pictures as Rang and Dale, but it's got a lot of good content. Lippincott was also good as far as I remember (or was that Biochemistry..).

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

I use both the Katzung (Lange) and Rang & Dale books (they were cheap together off the internet :D ).

In my opinion, the Lang one is harded to read and is heavy on the details. I don't like the way they discuss each part of the drugs separately (Chemistry of all SSRIs, followed by Pharmacokinetics of all SSRIs, followde by Pharmacodynamics of all SSRIs, you get the idea). I prefer to read all about one drug, then move on to the next. The Lange layout makes it hard to look up just one drug.

I personally prefer the R&D because it's easier to understand. It seems scant on information compared to the Lange, but it's got all you need to know (and much more than the lippincott, which I also have).

I hope this helps.

Advertisement