Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strabane young mother gets 3 months for stealing 10quid pair of jeans

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Listen ten per cent of anglos profit is laced with fraud I dont buy the whole ten euro theft person needs to be made an example of, that is a ridiculous short sighted and backward attitude to crime prevention. The who fact that bankers did and probaly still do engage in fraud and get away from it will in itself cause people to see the law as some kind of joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

newmug wrote: »

I'm sorry, but you're looking at this from the wrong angle. A thief is a thief, whether its £10 or £1 million. Thieves need to be kept away from the rest of us, and taught not to steal. Obviously if its a bank robbery, you'd have to factor in breaking and entering or attempted murder aswell.

Well ... people steal all the time without noticing it. I dont just mean robbing shops. There are other ways that are considered stealing (like fraud) welfare fraud even is an example, businesses cook the books (thats stealing from the governement) then theres borrowing things (without the intention of leaving them back)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

I'd imagine lady jail is nicer than strabane.

Only a theory.

People who commit silly crimes like this should be paraded in con gear while doing community service. That way they are giving back to the people rather than saying ok you stole £10 we will make an example of you and spend £20,000 (that we take from the people) and put you in jail!

If they were made clean up thier town (as community service) in con gear they would be humiliated into not doing it again.

Back to devling with you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Proper order. Who cares of it was only 1000 quid worth. If everyone got a slap on the knuckles for 1000 quid then everybody would be out doing it and all that would add up to a lot more than just 10 quid

seanybiker wrote: »
    Proper order. Who cares of it was only 1000 quid worth. If everyone got a slap on the knuckles for 1000 quid then everybody would be out doing it and all that would add up to a lot more than just 10 quid

I dont agree her theft didnt affect as much as the fraud and theft commited by anglo, a country should have a decent legal system before frivilous prosecutions like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

This is the kind of crazy double standards i just cannot understand. Who cares the value was only £10 she robbed, she didn't plead guilty, she deserves everything she gets. I caught a guy on sunday robbing a £7.99 pair of ear phones and rang the police and one of my friends called me a mangey bastard. He ****ing robbed from us!? I don't care how little the value. You can't leave one person off otherwise everyone will think your a soft touch.

I'd love to hear the OP's views if he was the person that owned or managed the shop...

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Debthree

Einhard wrote: »
    So why not slap a 3 month prison sentence on the schoolkid who steals a Yorkie?

But Yorkies are not for girls and the shoplifter is a girl. I'm confused. :confused:

This is the kind of crazy double standards i just cannot understand. Who cares the value was only £10 she robbed, she didn't plead guilty, she deserves everything she gets. I caught a guy on sunday robbing a £7.99 pair of ear phones and rang the police and one of my friends called me a mangey bastard. He ****ing robbed from us!? I don't care how little the value. You can't leave one person off otherwise everyone will think your a soft touch.

I'd love to hear the OP's views if he was the person that owned or managed the shop...

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0318/bray.html double standards like this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

I've never heard as harsh a hand down as that before. Sounds like Iran or somewhere. A pair of jeans, Jesus. Peados and druggies get less. So what if she didn't admit it, it's still over the top. Judge wants to have a good look at himself. And by the way i'm usually the other way, saying that's to little time!!

• Advertisement

This is the kind of crazy double standards i just cannot understand.

I agree with them being punished but 3 months locked up?

Yes they should be reported. But Jail is not a good solution for this "petty crime". If she had a handgun while she was stealing these jeans then yes..

I agree with them being punished but 3 months locked up?

Yes they should be reported. But Jail is not a good solution for this "petty crime". If she had a handgun while she was stealing these jeans then yes..

True im not against crimes being punished but the time should fit the crime!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

WTF like. Drug dealers and even the odd rapist gets a suspended sentence.

This girl had no previous convictions, she clearly wasn't stealing for profit as the resale value would be at max about 3quid and in reality zero.

It'l cost god knows what to put her in prison for 3 months. What was the judge thinking?

I stopped reading the article after I saw 'Londonderry?' Hate it when I have no clue whatsoever where a place is....

walshb wrote: »
    'Londonderry?'

?? Doesnt exist anyways :D

walshb wrote: »
    I stopped reading the article after I saw 'Londonderry?' Hate it when I have no clue whatsoever where a place is....

Like when someone in atlantis stole a new toga

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Dudess wrote: »
    If that's true, I doubt you thought it was "proper order" at the time.

Ridiculously harsh punishment - just like "bleeding heart" is a ridiculously stupid phrase.

no its not harsh, the stupid bitch should have pleaded guilty. she got exactly what she deserved

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Well ... people steal all the time without noticing it. I dont just mean robbing shops. There are other ways that are considered stealing (like fraud) welfare fraud even is an example, businesses cook the books (thats stealing from the governement) then theres borrowing things (without the intention of leaving them back)

Eh, no they dont. Some scumbags do. They ALL deserve punishment, bankers included. Cowen, Ahern, and banking friends deserve the rest of their natural lives in a concrete tomb. This scummer got away light with 3 months IMO, but all thieves are as bad as each other.

I never really understood the meaning of the label "Liberal". I couldnt understand why some people thought being "liberal" or free was a bad thing. But after reading some of the posts on this thread the penny has dropped!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭therunaround

how does it cost 20k for a 3 month prison stint?i have no idea but lets say 300 prisoners and 100 staff.cost of staff for 3 months maybe 3 grand each a month thats 900k.divided by 300 thats 3000.could house that person for 3 months for 20 quid a day equals 1800.i know im probably way out but wheres my missing 15k?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Holybejaysus

There is nothing wrong with this sentence, IMO.

It's all the other light sentences that we should be focusing on, not this one. This type of sentence should be the norm, not the exception.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Costs a lot of money to run a court, you have the judge, clerk and different officers.
    Plus there is often a backlog of months, sometimes high profile cases take years.

If she had pleaded guilty I doubt she would have seen jail time.
    If the punishment for pleading guilty and not guilty were the same then everyone would waste courts time

And did I read this case took 5 days? How??

Costs a lot of money to run a court, you have the judge, clerk and different officers.
    Plus there is often a backlog of months, sometimes high profile cases take years.

If she had pleaded guilty I doubt she would have seen jail time.
    If the punishment for pleading guilty and not guilty were the same then everyone would waste courts time

And did I read this case took 5 days? How??

Wasting courts time eh, surely you would have to prove the defendent was purposly wasting the courts time and not simply stating her belief that she was innocent. Either way that excuse is garbage and the legal system that supports it is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

I'm sorry, but you're looking at this from the wrong angle. A thief is a thief, whether its £10 or £1 million. Thieves need to be kept away from the rest of us, and taught not to steal. Obviously if its a bank robbery, you'd have to factor in breaking and entering or attempted murder aswell.

FAT TONY: Is it wrong for a starving man to steal a loaf of bread to feed his family?

BART: No.

FAT TONY: And suppose he has a large family. Is it wrong for him to steal a truck load of bread to feed said family?

BART: I guess not.

FAT TONY: And suppose his family don't eat bread and he steals a truck load of cigarettes to sell so that he might buy appropriate food for his family. Is that wrong?

BART: Hell no.

FAT TONY: I like you Bart. You're gonna fit in well wit me and the boyz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Wasting courts time eh, surely you would have to prove the defendent was purposly wasting the courts time and not simply stating her belief that she was innocent.

So maybe she believed it was not actually herself that took the jeans when she took them?

robbie7730 wrote: »
    So maybe she believed it was not actually herself that took the jeans when she took them?

I dont know her motives funnily enough but I also know you have to prove that you know what her motives are to punish her for time wasting. Even if the judge proved she was wasting time three months is indicitive of the idiot that handed down the sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

She broke the law and she is being punished for it. I see no problem at all with her serving jail time, particularly as she had been in trouble before and ignored the Judge's warning.

It's her own fault and I feel no sympathy for her. Fine example to set her children too.

• Advertisement

I dont know her motives funnily enough but I also know you have to prove that you know what her motives are to punish her for time wasting. Even if the judge proved she was wasting time three months is indicitive of the idiot that handed down the sentence.

I dont think the judge does have to prove she intentionally wasted court time to decide to give a more harsh sentence. He offered for her to plead guilty, she did`t, so he gave her a sentence for being convicted of the offence, its at his descretian what sentence to give, without having to mention wasting court time as a reason. Anyone is entitled to plead not guilty. But if you walked in and stole jeans and were caught, then its likely your guilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I never received a beating that bad that I had to stay in bed for a week, I said I would have if I stole a yorkie. Its not abuse, its discipline. It seems some people on here need a serious dose of it!
    Wo... scary. It is of course abuse. Assault = discipline? Wow. :confused:

I dont think the judge does have to prove she intentionally wasted court time to decide to give a more harsh sentence. He offered for her to plead guilty, she did`t, so he gave her a sentence for being convicted of the offence, its at his descretian what sentence to give, without having to mention wasting court time as a reason. Anyone is entitled to plead not guilty. But if you walked in and stole jeans and were caught, then its likely your guilty.

Ah right so basically the right or wrong of the crime, innocence or guilt ect. The birmingham six should have all pleaded guilty so because the judge would have gave them less time. Time wasting in court is a three month offence it seems.:rolleyes:

Anyway all a moot point, what happened there is not a legal system. you dont lock up people for the price of ten euro and not lock up the bankers who commited fraud. Its not a good way to have people respect the law.

Ah right so basically the right or wrong of the crime, innocence or guilt ect. The birmingham six should have all pleaded guilty so because the judge would have gave them less time. Time wasting in court is a three month offence it seems.:rolleyes:

Anyway all a moot point, what happened there is not a legal system. you dont lock up people for the price of ten euro and not lock up the bankers who commited fraud. Its not a good way to have people respect the law.

Well if you walk in, steal items, get caught, your guilty. If your in a court and offered to plead guilty at the start, and decide not to take it even though you know your guilty, then are found guilty, you may get a longer sentence.

If you are found not guilty then no sentence. Its up to the individual to say if they are guilty or innocent at the start. If you are not actually guilty and know you did not commit the crime then you would fight your case. I would think the woman here knew she took the jeans.

The birmingham bombings were murder cases, so its a life sentence anyway. And i dont think there is any real connection between these cases. If the birmingham 6 knew they did not do it then why would they plead guilty. They were not caught walking down the street with bombs under their arms i presume. It was unreliable evidence used to convict them. Not an obvious caught in the act scenario like the OP case likely was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Yunnie wrote: »
    it will cost up to £20,000 of the taxpayers money to keep her in jail for 3 months, NI,s justice system is a joke

where are these figures found, i can't understand how it costs this much for someone to sit in the slammer for 3 months. Could someone not stay in a decent hotel for this price, not disagreeing just want to know.

• Advertisement

KilOit wrote: »
    where are these figures found, i can't understand how it costs this much for someone to sit in the slammer for 3 months. Could someone not stay in a decent hotel for this price, not disagreeing just want to know.

She probably wont be in jail 3 months anyway. A few weeks likely. Or might not end up going in at all.

Its the cost of running a given prison divided by the number of inmates in the prison on the last day of each year. Its about right at €20k for 3 months alright. It was dearer a couple of years ago.

If it was a first offence she should have been given community service which would have at least been useful.

If it was a first offence she should have been given community service which would have at least been useful.

You could well be right, i too thought it a little harsh for the offence if it was the first ever offence. But does a first offence just mean one you were convicted of? Who knows what else she has been doing before.

But if we do go stealing for a first time and get caught, its surprising we would be shocked at getting a custodial sentence. And the fact people are surprised maybe suggests sentencing in general is too light.

You could well be right, i too thought it a little harsh for the offence if it was the first ever offence. But does a first offence just mean one you were convicted of? Who knows what else she has been doing before.

But if we do go stealing for a first time and get caught, its surprising we would be shocked at getting a custodial sentence. And the fact people are surprised maybe suggests sentencing in general is too light.

Good point maybe so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

The courts are getting soft. When I was in Zambia in 1979 a 70 year old man got four years for stealing four pounds of salami.

Cue the "soft" "salami" jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭creaghadoos

I'd imagine lady jail is nicer than strabane.

Only a theory.

i've never been in lady prison but i have spent a lot of years in strabane and i would tend to agree.

a lot of people asking why the case took 5 days to hear.

i have tried buying jeans with a woman, never mind stealing them and then trying to prove that i didn't. they were probably running in and out of court trying on the jeans and asking if her arse looks big

i have a mental image of her and a friend in the shop and asking would she get much wear out of the jeans and her friend saying you'll get a few months from them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

3 months is a long time. I was in foster care before for almost 3 months and it seemed like an eternity.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭reddevilfan

Remember the front of the herald a while back that stated a man steals from shop recieves sentence, gardai does hit and run walks free

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭creaghadoos

CorkMan wrote: »
    3 months is a long time. I was in foster care before for almost 3 months and it seemed like an eternity.

her husband has the child

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

How did this get into the crown court? Surely a matter for the magistrates (equivalent to the Irish District Court).

• Advertisement

Wo... scary. It is of course abuse. Assault = discipline? Wow. :confused:

scandalous isnt it.... making him stand in the naughty corner having him think about what he done would teach him manners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

aDeener wrote: »
    scandalous isnt it....
    Yes, administering a severe beating to a child (or anyone) is scandalous - as you know. It's what the Ryan Report is about n' stuff...
    making him stand in the naughty corner having him think about what he done would teach him manners
    :confused:

Can't see where I said or even implied that that's (a) what I would consider an appropriate punishment for a kid stealing, or (b) the only alternative. Severe beating... naughty corner... ocean in between.

Most people, thankfully, don't think it's ok to inflict injuries on a child (and I don't include a light smack, which is miles away from a beating) as a form of discipline.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

It strikes me as a reasonable sentence for theft, and not pleading guilty. She wasted 5 days of court time. 3 months isn't that long really, and it's unlikely she'll even do all of it. If she didn't want to be parted from her darling child then she shouldn't have plead not guilty (or even better, not stolen in the first place).

Just because sentencing is out of whack at the other end of the scale, doesn't mean we should let petty crimes off too lightly.

Yes, administering a severe beating to a child (or anyone) is scandalous - as you know. It's what the Ryan Report is about n' stuff...

Can't see where I said or even implied that that's (a) what I would consider an appropriate punishment for a kid stealing, or (b) the only alternative. Severe beating... naughty corner... ocean in between.

Most people, thankfully, don't think it's ok to inflict injuries on a child (and I don't include a light smack, which is miles away from a beating) as a form of discipline.

my apologies, i assumed you were one of those who faints in horror at the thought of a gosson getting a clip on the butt of the lug for acting the maggot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

aDeener wrote: »
    my apologies, i assumed you were one of those who faints in horror at the thought of a gosson getting a clip on the butt of the lug for acting the maggot

Pity it wasn't, for bad grammar.

Anyone who steals deserves a severe beating.

When I was arrested for shoplifting, I got a date with the liasons officer and a warning that if I did it again, I'd get a conviction and never be able to travel properly.

Never did it again and always get a receipt now.. Standard stuff. 3 months is crazy but she should have pleaded guilty.

When I was arrested for shoplifting, I got a date with the liasons officer and a warning that if I did it again, I'd get a conviction and never be able to travel properly.

Never did it again and always get a receipt now.. Standard stuff. 3 months is crazy but she should have pleaded guilty.

Tell me to fcuk off if you want, but can I ask what in the name of infant-level intelligence possessed you to shoplift?

Lack of money in second year of college.. I used to get sandwiches and wedges out of Dunnes. I don't particularly care what people think anyways.. it was 4/5 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Yunnie

KilOit wrote: »

UTV news when they covered the story.

Advertisement