Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

phone scam/hacker threat- is it possible?

• 03-02-2011 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

got a call from a fella with a typical english name and a very strong asian accent about my computer problem.
    when i said it was great that he was calling about my computer problem he asked what did i want him to do..??:confused: I reminded him that he rang me, and if he didnt know what to do....:o
    i knew it was a scam but thought id try get some contact details off him. call was dropped but he rang back. he was ringing from a south east asia call centre.
    eventually i got annoyed when he said the call centre head office (and contact details) were based in
    -"Australia. ....no sorry the UK"
    what part of the UK?
    -"Sydney"
    Sydney, the UK?
    -"right."
    :mad:Then I lost it and told him it was a scam and he was a joke. I couldnt understand all he said but basically he told me I was right and then he told me he was going to hack my computer!!:eek:

Now I dont know that much about pc security, but how would one hack my pc? :confused:
    should i worry about him having my phone number? can it be done through my internet provider connection? Do i need to worry about that, or is it only through virus, malware, enabled remote access etc?

what precautions need to be taken?

cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

its a scam.........

rule 1 of internet
    if u didn't order it yourself its probably a scam
    rule 2 of internet
    banks & legit websites DON'T email u asking for log in details
    rule 3 of internet
    if it sounds too good to be true it usually is too good to be true
    rule 4 of internet
    the prince of Nigeria does not have an inheritance to temporarily hold in YOUR bank account
    rule 5 of internet
    don't click links in emails/social networking sites from people u don't know asking u to "check this out" or something similar along those lines. (also hover but dont click on links from those that u do know to see where they lead... you can often tell if you got a dodgy link)
    rule 6 of internet
    be paranoid... failure to be gets your computer f@#ked up
    rule 7 of internet
    Microsoft don't phone up home users to tell them they have a bug or virus

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement