Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

disposal of old electrical items

Options
  • 03-02-2011 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭

i have a couple of lamps and a couple of old sky boxes i wish to get rid on.

i know you cant put them in a normal bin,anyone know where i cant get rid of them.

i remember reading about some collection of old electrical items in Tesco car park but i haven't seen anything in a while about it.

so any ideas where i can get rid of this stuff.

Does the dump in newport take it and do i have to pay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

There's a recycling place about 2 miles outside ballina out the killala road, its on the right hand side, i think its called rathkipp? Left electrical stuff in there meself and was free (only had a few items, they might charge for a trailer load?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

You can bring them to the recycling centre in Newport or in Ballina. Charge is €3 per vehicle. (I know you're not recycling the car!! :D)

You could also try putting them on adverts.ie (free section). If they are working someone might be glad to take the boxes off you as a fta box.

I was'nt charged €3 in ballina, was i supposed to pay:confused::eek: They have me on camera anyway they can post out the bill:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Maybe it was a while ago sone you went to Ballina. The recycling used to be free but the charge was introduced perhaps a year or a bit more ago. Not a correct step in my opinion but there you go.

It was about a year ago surely when i think back, jees time is flying:eek: won't be getting a fine in the post so:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

The charge is €3.40 including VAT for recycling per car but AFAIK this doesn't apply to electrical goods - I think the WEEE levy covers the recycling cost of any electrical items.

Irishgeo, there is a large section for recycling of electrical items, big and small in the recycling centre in Derrinumera. I presume the same applies in the centre in Ballina

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

mayo.mick wrote: »
    There's a recycling place about 2 miles outside ballina out the killala road, its on the right hand side, i think its called rathkipp? Left electrical stuff in there meself and was free (only had a few items, they might charge for a trailer load?)

lol its called rathrouen and its on the Killala Road. Rathkip is the other direction lol
    Yes you have to pay now for recyling which to me is wrong. I normally recycle stuff but am not going to bring any recycling up there seeing as I bring household waste there and it costs me 6 something per bag. Not a good move that as people will just lump everything into the one bag so very little recycling will be done. I would continue to bring jars, bottles, cans etc to the bottle banks in town for free!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Irishgeo there are always people looking for sky boxes. Are they working? You should put them on the free section in adverts if you want to get rid of them they may be of use to somebody??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

steph1 wrote: »
    Irishgeo there are always people looking for sky boxes. Are they working? You should put them on the free section in adverts if you want to get rid of them they may be of use to somebody??

ill be having a clear out sale soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Do you have to present your old receipts to the recycling centre or do you have to pay the recycling charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Receipts for what? If it has a plug it's free to recycle.

Advertisement