Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on maternity medical benefit for new Mummy to be

Options
  • 03-02-2011 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Should a doctor charge you if your pregnant for a visit with regard to your pregnancy? I was told that we were entitled to 6 free gp visits relating to my pregnancy including the initial consulation. That was the advice the HSE gave me however when I went to the doctors this morning they charged my boyfriend 60 euro for my bloodwork. Dont get me wrong Im not a tight wad here but we're both hard workng people and we pay taxes like everyone else does so it was nice to know we were getting something back and been able to use our money for other things. Has anyone got advice on this?
    By the way they wouldnt do a pregnancy test on me just blood work but the tests ive done at home were all positive and I havent had a period since early december?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I was charged for the initial consultation... but maybe you're able to claim it back if a pregnancy is confirmed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

I think the maternity hospital were referring to combined care.

There is information on it here Citizens Information - Maternity and Infant Care Services

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 506 ✭✭✭common sense brigade

veru odd. why did he do bloods, surely all he had to do was a test. thats all my doctor did. i was charged nothing from first consultation with my doctor right through to baby being 6 weeks old. ennis co clare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

What kind of bloodwork?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Both times I have paid for the initial visit.
    Neither gp has done my bloods but it seems normal practice for some gps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

same here...it's usually the initial visit you pay for and nowt else :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭newmammy2011

I also paid for my initial visit!
    Doc didnt do a test....just took my word for it that Id gotten a positive test!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 nikkiplc2001

On my first visit, the doc did a test and he said once it comes up positive I would not have to pay for any GP visits to do with pregnancy from here until 6 wks after baby is born!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

When i made my GP appointment i told them it was to confirm pregnancy... i've never paid for the first visit and this is my 4th . . . :) Some surgeries do charge for the first but not all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Have you filled out a form that you get from your GP to send to the HSE so you can get combined care during the pregnancy? Once thats sent in then the GP gets whatever it is for payment for you during the pregnancy. Not sure about specific number of times you can go etc, I know you get free GP care for you and babes for 6 weeks after the birth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement