Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AutoCAD 2002 Scaling problem

Options
  • 03-02-2011 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭

Hi Boardies,

well the problem seems to be i can't scale my drawing (new enought to this), so if anyone could give me a step by step process of doing this i would be very greatful.

Thanks

Spades

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Is the problem you can't plot your drawing to the correct scale?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭spadesaspade

thats it exactly, need the drawing to fit an A3 page

There's a few ways of doing this. The easiest, if you're new is, drawing an A3 size sheet and scaling this sheet sized rectangle up until the object fits within, then plotting at that chosen scale on an A3 size sheet.

The correct way to do it is by using the Layout Tab. This is a small bit more complicated. Here's a link

http://www.we-r-here.com/cad/tutorials/level_2/2-8.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you need it to fit on to a page, but the scale doesn't matter,
    then just print,
    Select your printer from the drop down
    select extents or window (bottom left) and click fit to page

If you need it to be a set scale, use the zoom, scale command
    F1 will show you

thanks guys for your posts, i will give them a shot, can you tell me where i find out if the drawing is 1:500,1:2500 etc..
    thanks

• Advertisement

After you plot the drawing measure it with a scale rule. This scale ruler should have various different scales on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭steve_kav

Just draw a rectangle Bottom left (0,0) top right (420,297) and fit your drawing into this box, when you plot use a window and use this box as the window, make sure you check the boxes fit to paper and centre the plot. It should fit A4, A3 or any of the standard A size paper.

This is what I do and I hope it works for you, also note that I am using autoCAD 2011 at the moment so the options might vary slightly but I dont think there is much difference if any at all.

how do i know what scale to write on the drawing when printing it?? 1:100 or 1:2500 etc???

how do i know what scale to write on the drawing when printing it?? 1:100 or 1:2500 etc???

draw it exact size then keep scaling it down untill it fits into the 420x297 box, take note of how much you needed to scale it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

Better off to scale up the box rather than scale down the drawing guys. Scale the box a factor of by 50,100,200,500 or any of the recognised scales, and then when you print it that is the scale you put on the drawing (so if you scale up by 50 then it prints at 1:50 and so on)

This is assuming that you're drawing at 1:1 (which you should be).
    Also check your units (metres or millimetres)

The size that steve has shown above is set to print landscape on an A3 sheet (A4 landscape is 297x210)

• Advertisement

Supertech wrote: »
    Better off to scale up the box rather than scale down the drawing guys. Scale the box a factor of by 50,100,200,500 or any of the recognised scales, and then when you print it that is the scale you put on the drawing (so if you scale up by 50 than it prints at 1:50 and so on)

This is assuming that you're drawing at 1:1 (which you should be).
    Also check your units (metres or millimetres)

The size that steve has shown above is set to print landscape on an A3 sheet (A4 landscape is 297x210)

Excellent ive always been scaling the drawing rather than the box, scaling the box will make things much easier.

About using a 297x210 box, that shouldnt make any difference because its the same box scaled down to half size. As long as you press fit to paper you can make the box any size you want as long as its within the same scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Supertech

That is of course correct Steve :) happy printing

Advertisement