Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sky sales men

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Um... You make it sound like you only contact the cusomer after you install the dish and run the cables??? If not, why?

the majority of customers were women who had no idea that sky was being installed.
    I call to the house, they say ok, come in, ill ring my husband at work. She comes back a few minutes later and says ah perfect go ahead.

I install.

husband arrives home.

problem created.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭seaniemoylan

ah the old sky sales door to door people....

personally i would spit on them if they called to my house.

reason:

I was a satellite engineer for sky. I would do installations and repairs. Often i called to someone's house, mounted the dish, ran the cables down, fitted the box, paired the box and packed up my van. asked the person to sign form etc and was told sorry, the agent who called to the house few weeks ago said you would also put in a magic eye for me.

I would then reply back saying no, this is a "personal" arrangement between me (the engineer) and you. I charge €20 for the eye and €5 per 2 meter's of cable i run.

fair price tbh.

I would then get a load of abuse thrown at me, and often enough it would involve me ringing sky, telling them the situation and eventually removing the dish, cables and box.

all at MY own expense since i was self employe'd / contracted.

so yea, i hate them god damn mother ****ing sky sales people who promise you the world to get a sale, gete their commission and **** over the engineer who gets paid **** all for doing his job anyway.

what is this magical eye you speak of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

strandsman wrote: »
    ...(1) why two men selling together?

It can happen when there are two legit salesmen. Either one can be learning, or its a cheap ploy trick. Aka, two people telling you "need" a better box / upgrade sounds better than one telling you. There can also be some dirty tricks too.
    (2) is it a scam?

Always a possibility. Who ever is at the door. A sky scam seems a less unlikely choice to pull of a scam tho. Far better things to scam people. However, its a great scam in the sense if a person is just trying to get entry into your home to suss the place out to rob.
    (3) is the signal changing? has anyone come accross this before? how can i contact someone in sky to ask if there are sales men in the area.

The singal isnt changing.
    This does not automatically scream imposters tho. Could also be a cheap trick. They stated your "old" sky box wont pick up the signal as better (etc) as a new box would. thats working someone 101.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

You must not actually like good TV. Fair enough.

X-Factor will be back for you at some stage :pac:

Probably on Sky Atlantic, and repeated 5 times a day with the other crap.:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

ah yes.. heard of you people too... the "people who stop us falling asleep at the keyboard":P

i think ill stalk you down and "mount" your dish.

I had a bit of trouble with me azimuth:(, but it's sorted now thanks:P.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

Theres actually nothing i dispise more than this. I have to lock my patio door because i had a salesperson before actually open my patio door(even though theres a bell outside) , knock on my front door and when they didnt get an answer they opened the door and called down the hall:mad: My Husband actually shoved him out the door again:mad:

I did have sky call before and they actally started banging on about they were cheaper bla bla bla, and i said no your not im getting it for X amount from X Company and they actally asked to see a bill!!!:eek:

Nothing i hate more than cold callers, if its not Sky/Airtricity/Election Candidates then its People selling Sofas and perfumes and throwing bloody catalouges in my letterbox:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

what is this magical eye you speak of?

you run a co-ax cable from rf output 2 on the back of your sky box into another room. then plug the cable into a magic eye and then the magic eye plugs into another tv. there is a sensor hanging off the magic eye that sits on top of the tv, and allows you to control the sky box (which is in another room) from the new room on the second tv.

http://www.leehaxbysatellites.co.uk/images/magic_eye_example.jpg

bout they were cheaper bla bla bla, and i said no your not im getting it for X amount from X Company and they actally asked to see a bill!!!:eek:(
    That's so they can get the account number and cancel it on you

Advertisement