Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home insurance claim query

Options
  • 03-02-2011 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hi,
    My washing machine is leaking and has flooded my utility room, ruining the floor and sum of the floor in the kitchen. I was advised to claim from my Home Insurance. Rang today and they said I have an excess of €600 on burst pipes, which this particular claim doesnt come under I dont think, as its the pipe under the actual machine :rolleyes: anyway she is sending out an assessor and this has me very nervous?? all I want is my floor repaired and machine working?? will I be covered does anyone think? any advice at all??

thank you :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

best thing to do is wait and ask the assessor..... its his job to let you know what caused the damage and you can check with the insurance company if you are covered.

if the insurance company are not covering you - you could look at legal action against the installer or washing machine manufacturer.....if its a pipe which is part of the machine and that was not installed properly or was defective then you could possibly have a case.

How long have you had the machine installed ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Mo MO

have washing machine now about 4 years? was given to me as wedding present so i dont have receipt or anything like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

your house insurance most probably covers you for the damage caused by the leak. It does NOT cover the washing machine itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

It does fall under the burst pipe definition, which is escape of water from a fixed water apparatus. As Ravima advised, the damage caused by is covered but not the machine itself if it is wear and tear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Mo MO

oldyouth wrote: »
    It does fall under the burst pipe definition, which is escape of water from a fixed water apparatus. As Ravima advised, the damage caused by is covered but not the machine itself if it is wear and tear

How can a pipe within the actual machine be classifed as a main pipe leak?? its a completley separate issue is it not. there is not way the dmamged caused with be over my excess of €600 if thats the case. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Mo MO wrote: »
    How can a pipe within the actual machine be classifed as a main pipe leak?? its a completley separate issue is it not. there is not way the dmamged caused with be over my excess of €600 if thats the case. :(
    Who said anything about a main pipe leak? That's the way it is, sorry for your trouble

Advertisement