Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent Allowance tenants - yes or no

Options
  • 03-02-2011 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Am currently advertising my apartment for rent and just had a call from a couple who are both in receipt of rent allowance. They have a baby as well

We never had any previous tenants who were getting rent allowance, so am just wondering what are people's experience generally of 'rent allowance' tenants?

I guess there's no guarantee that working tenants would look after the place any better, but at least they have jobs ...

How much can people get on rent allowance anyway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Am currently advertising my apartment for rent and just had a call from a couple who are both in receipt of rent allowance. They have a baby as well

We never had any previous tenants who were getting rent allowance, so am just wondering what are people's experience generally of 'rent allowance' tenants?

I guess there's no guarantee that working tenants would look after the place any better, but at least they have jobs ...

I'm working at the moment and I expect to be on rent allowance soon. I'll still be the same person after I apply for rent allowance. I think it more depends on the person than on applying the Rent Allowance label to them. There's 450,000 unemployed in the country at the moment, not all of them are likely to smash your apartment.

Ask for references from previous landlord, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭StopWatch

Your judgement of character comes into play here. I myself am looking to rent and have started realising people are against tenants on rent allowance, but that is the situation i'm in at the moment. Not all people on R.A are layabouts, or dole scroungers, or scumbags, but that is the assumption. So i guess i would hope you'd judge the character of this couple and if they're a fit then you know they have a gauranteed income every month from the state to cover the rent

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You really should'nt discriminate.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

References and follow up checks are a must, Judge the tenants on character and dont take the references at face value. Follow them up with a Phonecall.

The less past history they can provide the less I would be willing to risk a lease agreement with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Penguino

I working the lettings industry. People on RA are as good as people paying themselves.

You will notice that you get more RA in different parts of the city

Check references, see how much they get paid in RA and make a judgment call based on their character. Keep in contact with tenants after they have moved in too, after all they are minding your most expensive asset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Confused_73

Thanks for the feedback.

I think it certainly is down to personal character. As you say there are a lot of people in this country on social welfare thanks to our governments incompetence, and people should not be judged on that. I try and make it a point not to discriminate against anyone

The ability to pay the rent is my chief concern, to be honest, so I guess I'll need to see how much rent allowance they qualify for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Ask for a month's deposit and 1 month rent upfront (even though the rent allowance comes in arrears). You will save yourself a lot of heartache. If they can't pay that, then don't take them.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,515 ✭✭✭✭ted1

now a days your safer. As you don't have to worry about them not being able to afford the rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Due to the economic climate im on RA need to move asap however when i made appointment to see a place was told no as i was on RA and the person didnt want bank knowing she was getting income :confused: tried to explain its nothing to do with bank but she was having none of it

when you look at daft there really isnt a lot of choice for decent places with RA all decent places say no RA shocking really as the LL is guaranteed rent and more and more ppl find themselves in dire need of it

when politicians come a knocking on my door im going to grill them on legislations stopping ppl refusing RA there is nothing we can do about the bail out but we can make living here easier for those of us who cant go abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

As others have said, ask for references (from any prospective tenants) and follow up on them. You'll also need to rely on your instincts - if something doesn't feel right, then it probably isn't.

I've lived with an RA tenant who was a tenant from hell, refusing to pay rent and bills, instead spending the cash on clothes and nights out. However, if you read other threads here, you'll see that not all RA tenants are like that and many are just in a difficult situation rather than being 'scumbags'.

As has been mentioned above, make sure that you get a deposit plus one month's rent in advance, even though RA is paid a month in arrears. It could help solve a lot of problems later on in the tenancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,650 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think a big problem with RA is that the money goes to the tenant, and not the landlord, which makes it not really "guaranteed".

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭amtw

The amount of Rent Allowance a person gets depends on a number of factors such as the area of the country they are renting in, the size of the family and the amount of income they have. Most people on RA are great, treat them exactly as any other tennant, check references etc and get a deposit. Be aware though that because they have to identify a property before they can apply for RA there can be a delay before they are in receipt of the payment. Again this differs from area to area depending on which Community Welfare Office they are dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

its mad how few people are willing to accept people on RA...

I just did a search on daft.

South Dublin City
    Minimum 3 beds
    Maximum 1500 per month

154 results...

did the same search with "only places that accept rent allowance" ticked....

24 results... Unreal!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Korvanica wrote: »
    its mad how few people are willing to accept people on RA...

I just did a search on daft.

South Dublin City
    Minimum 3 beds
    Maximum 1500 per month

154 results...

did the same search with "only places that accept rent allowance" ticked....

24 results... Unreal!

Now try with when you have pets.

astrofool wrote: »
    I think a big problem with RA is that the money goes to the tenant, and not the landlord, which makes it not really "guaranteed".

It is guaranteed most RA tenants go by the book and add their part to the rent and send it by DD or in person to LL (I say most as just like ppl who are not on RA they can choose to give the rent or not) under no circumstances should it go to the LL directly not until we have effective laws regarding standards of accommodation that are to let and an effective system regarding behaviour of LL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

I'm sure a lot of those who won't accept RA are doing so, so they can stay off the 'radar' .. The landlord has to sign forms when renting out a place to RA tenants.

I accept RA and the tenants I have at the moment are saints. The rent doesn't always come in on the agreed date, but I do get it every month, and they take better care of the place than I did when I lived in it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Theres an irony in complaining about the sweeping generalizations of RA tenants, then doing exactly the same about LL's.

edellc wrote: »
    It is guaranteed most RA tenants go by the book....

How is it guaranteed?

BostonB wrote: »
    Theres an irony in complaining about the sweeping generalizations of RA tenants, then doing exactly the same about LL's.

I know so glad you picked up on that :p

and its guaranteed the same way a LL rent is guaranteed from a non RA tenant

edellc wrote: »
    I know so glad you picked up on that :p

and its guaranteed the same way a LL rent is guaranteed from a non RA tenant

So not guaranteed at all.

What happens if a RA doesn't hand over the rent to the LL. Can the LL claim the arrears from anyone?

I have empathy for anyone on RA. From a practical point of view, the RA doesn't pay all the rent. So a RA tenant really is struggling out of the gate, to pay the deposit and the difference of the rent. Then if there's any unexpected bills, they are really struggling. Theres a better chance that someone working has a little bit more margin to cover such occasions, and won't need to dip into the rent for it. Who's to know, its all a gamble and you have to play the odds.

That said at the end of the day its all about the person themselves, and references help a lot there. The whole system lack speedy processes and protections for both tenants and landlords.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭MistyCheese

Honestly, it might be best if you stay away from Rent Supplement recipients altogther. If you're already wary of the group as a whole before you've even met anyone from within that group then it can only lead to trouble. Any little thing that ever goes even slightly wrong during the tenancy will be "because they are Rent Allowance tenants" (even if it's not - at all) and this will be used to retroactively justify your reluctance.

People who receive Rent Supplement (yes, they actually are people) deserve a landlord/lady who doesn't have preconceived notions about what kind of tenant they'll be before they've even met.

There should be no "preconceived notions"about tenants or landlords.

It works both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

astrofool wrote: »

I pay part of my rent with RA, it goes directly into my LL account, I never see it, I add the rest myself on the 25th of the month!

I prefer it that way and I have no doubt my LL does too!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    I pay part of my rent with RA, it goes directly into my LL account, I never see it, I add the rest myself on the 25th of the month!

I prefer it that way and I have no doubt my LL does too!
    I'd say a lot of people on this forum would like to know how that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

the_syco wrote: »

I was asked by the CWO for the tenancy lease. He photocopied it and in it was her bank details. I got a letter telling me it would be paid directly into her account. I have never had to worry about it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lesserspottedchloe

wow really? In the current climate there are a LOT of people out there who have no choice but the R.A? No disrespect but where have you been the last 3 years? Many of my friends who are good, honest educated young people are on R.A as well as the small minority of trouble makers who also recieve the benefit (just like everything else in this world). I understand that you're just being careful with your own livelyhood but I'm fairly sure you can't measure a persons character by how many hours a week they're lucky enough to be employed for? Good luck in finding a tennant. :)

I think I am in the process of having the rent changed to be paid directly to my, though I'll believe it when I see it. This month though, the cheque was made out to me, so it was the first time that I received the amount that was meant to be paid to me (not with a bit shaved off the top). One thing I worry about though, is what happens if somebody's rent allowance is cut off?

You'll get no rent.

yeah, I figured...this was mentioned as something that might happen if my tenants weren't paying the full amount over to me. I don't see how this would be better for me! What kind of other reasons to people get cut off for? I mean, is it something that happens often? It is something that worries me, I have to admit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

the_syco wrote: »

I asked my CWO could it be paid directly to LLs bank account, yes was the answer and she said they actually prefer it that way.
    As always, it depends on CWO but there is actually a form for it.

Advertisement