Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FM104 the worst station in Dublin

• 03-02-2011 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

The only radio station we can tune in in work is FM104 and I've grown to hate it. The breakfast show repeats jokes that are not even really that funny in the first place ad nauseum, much like music by a seemingly tiny set list of artists including Rihanna, Katy Perry, Usher and as much auto-tune infested music as possible with a few half decent tunes thrown in but at long spaced intervals. Even Christmas FM had more music variety. Five Hits in a Row (without interruptions) after the news has interruptions between each song to tell you they won't interrupt them.Anyone else have strong feelings about this or any other station?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

I had exactly the same experience. One of the lads at work had it on all the time. I grew to hate it. Almost to the point where is would put me in a bad mood!!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭lyverbird1

TheBody, as I read your response, funnily enough, Rihanna started playing. This station has made me despise her music. One day I heard Rude Boy five times between 7am and 3pm. At this point, silence would be preferable. If I didn't have to answer the phone from so frequently, I would wear earplugs permanently to block out the torture...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

lyverbird1 wrote: »
    The only radio station we can tune in in work is FM104 and I've grown to hate it. The breakfast show repeats jokes that are not even really that funny in the first place ad nauseum, much like music by a seemingly tiny set list of artists including Rihanna, Katy Perry, Usher and as much auto-tune infested music as possible with a few half decent tunes thrown in but at long spaced intervals. Even Christmas FM had more music variety. Five Hits in a Row (without interruptions) after the news has interruptions between each song to tell you they won't interrupt them.Anyone else have strong feelings about this or any other station?

Must be a case of [EMAIL="F@ck"]F@ck[/EMAIL] ME 104

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Can't be that bad if it's No. 1 in the JNLR's...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jaydeep

TheBody wrote: »
    I had exactly the same experience. One of the lads at work had it on all the time. I grew to hate it. Almost to the point where is would put me in a bad mood!!

Stations like 104 service a demographic of society who dont really care about radio, they just want music. Their listeners are happy with wall to wall pop and dj's that have anything to say but the stuff they are selling " dont forget we have a bla bla ... if you wanna win a bla bla .... on the way your chance to bla bla ... text me now on ...." thats about it.

It's a simple case of using your intelligence and finding a station you like.

104 have being the biggest operation in Dublin for 15 years, they wont change their foumula becase you dont like them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭Faq

I find in Waterford we have the same problem with beat 102/1.4 all non stop pop repeat of the breakfast show all day long reports of the news every 5 mins + ad's saying slogans like "we play your music now" makes me angry hearing the same 5 songs all day can get annoying but at work no choice it the only station left on its a radio station designed for 15 year old girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Girl in work moved.........we now have Nova......i'm happy:p

Bard wrote: »
    Can't be that bad if it's No. 1 in the JNLR's...

The Sunday World sells 270K papers, doesn't make it a good paper.Popular doesn't always mean a quality product.

The Sunday World sells 270K papers, doesn't make it a good paper.Popular doesn't always mean a quality product.

Certainly not, no. But popular means that a lot of people think it's good and therefore they must be doing something right and keeping their target audience happy.

They may not always be my cup of tea, and listenership levels may not be a gauge of quality, but considering their popularity, I'd say calling them the *worst* station in Dublin is a bit strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

shockin stuff from dis station 2nyt feckin jedward wer on it :/

• Advertisement

Certainly not, no. But popular means that a lot of people think it's good and therefore they must be doing something right and keeping their target audience happy.

They may not always be my cup of tea, and listenership levels may not be a gauge of quality, but considering their popularity, I'd say calling them the *worst* station in Dublin is a bit strong.

I wouldn't call them the worst either, i just don't like them and would be one of my last choices on the dial.

mrDerek wrote: »
    shockin stuff from dis station 2nyt feckin jedward wer on it :/

Sorry i didn't read your post as i refuse to read text speak. Its full words or nothing;)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaybee747

It does be on in the backround in work and I can't stand it.The guys in the morning Jim Jim and the other 2 at night are just not funny in anyway,shape or form.
    But to be honest most radio stations are gone the same route,they all have a "funny" duo on in the morning that talk sh1te all morning long.Most don't play much music either.

Only decent one on these days is Nova but there playlist is limited to about 10 compilation albums that's on repeat but atleast it's music.

So in conclusion, FM104 worst station, I'd say no worse than 2FM,98FM,Q102 but all equally as bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

" a lot of people think it's good"
    "listenership levels may not be a gauge of quality,"

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

jaybee747 wrote: »
    It does be on in the backround in work and I can't stand it.The guys in the morning Jim Jim and the other 2 at night are just not funny in anyway,shape or form.
    But to be honest most radio stations are gone the same route,they all have a "funny" duo on in the morning that talk sh1te all morning long.Most don't play much music either.

Only decent one on these days is Nova but there playlist is limited to about 10 compilation albums that's on repeat but atleast it's music.

So in conclusion, FM104 worst station, I'd say no worse than 2FM,98FM,Q102 but all equally as bad.

I like FM104, they are good at what they do . Don't forget they do have to make money so advertising will always form part of the radio station. I agree with all stations going the same route, breakfast afternoon show. The phoneshow now, I do get crack from that. You do get a high amount of goons ringing in..

It's not 'a bit strong' if that's the opinion you have!

It's not 'a bit strong' if that's the opinion you have!

Er, yes it is. Saying you hate it and that it's the worst in Dublin is a bit strong/extreme whether it's your opinion or not. Your opinion is a bit strong... especially as you said:
    I've grown to hate it

Can't really get much stronger a feeling than that!

Er, yes it is. Saying you hate it and that it's the worst in Dublin is a bit strong/extreme whether it's your opinion or not. Your opinion is a bit strong... especially as you said:

Can't really get much stronger a feeling than that!

It's all about perspective, I suppose, from my perspective my opinion is not over the top or strong so I think we will just have to agree to disagree. In the meantime I shall try to block out Rihanna a bit better, which is easier said than done, especially as I hear her on average seven to eight times during the working day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭blueshed

if you think FM104 is bad then you must never have heard SPIN 103.8

now that is the worst excuse of a radio station ever.

It's all about perspective, I suppose, from my perspective my opinion is not over the top or strong so I think we will just have to agree to disagree.

I never said you were "over the top" - or, for that matter, that you were wrong. Just said that your opinion was a bit strong - and surely by any perspective "hate" is about as strong a feeling as you could express about anything.

I still stand by my assessment that being No. 1 in the JNLR's means that while they may not be your or my cup of tea, they're clearly doing something right...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

The Cd player in my car is broken so im stuck with the radio.Irish Radio is that bad that I recently just drive to and from work in silence every day. I just had enough of it last week and havent turned the radio on since. Pure and utter SH*TE.

I never said you were "over the top" - or, for that matter, that you were wrong. Just said that your opinion was a bit strong - and surely by any perspective "hate" is about as strong a feeling as you could express about anything.

I still stand by my assessment that being No. 1 in the JNLR's means that while they may not be your or my cup of tea, they're clearly doing something right...

I didn't disagree with you on that point either re the ratings! Yes, clearly they are doing something right for a lot of people, just not for me (and others!), so given the enforced listening circumstances I find myself in every day which may give me a different perspective, I also stand by my apparently 'strong' feeling of hating the station!

I didn't disagree with you on that point either re the ratings! Yes, clearly they are doing something right for a lot of people, just not for me (and others!), so given the enforced listening circumstances I find myself in every day which may give me a different perspective, I also stand by my apparently 'strong' feeling of hating the station!

Fair enough :) \o/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

but considering their popularity, I'd say calling them the *worst* station in Dublin is a bit strong.

I dont think its strong at all. I could think of a lot stronger things to say about FM104. Its an awful radio station, no two ways about it. FM104 is radios equivalent of the X-factor.
    Nova all the way.

blueshed wrote: »

I once accidentally heard it in my car. Once was enough. Food for thought there, it could be worse than FM 104 but I'm not brave enough to listen to it again...

:eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭Mike O' Brien

FM104 is a well polished, professional outfit and does what it does very well.
    Sounding good of late too imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

And so back to the origninal posters issue. They can't stand Fm104 because they have to listen to it on a comuninal radio shared with other work colleagues.

Would it not be a better idea to ask everyone in your work area to consider a rota so to speak on the radio? Works in most civilised work places.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Andre80Johnson

I like them, well only the phoneshow but it's relaxing to hear it before heading to bed.

bbability wrote: »
    And so back to the origninal posters issue. They can't stand Fm104 because they have to listen to it on a comuninal radio shared with other work colleagues.

Would it not be a better idea to ask everyone in your work area to consider a rota so to speak on the radio? Works in most civilised work places.

As I said in my original post's first line, it's the only radio station that we can tune in. An unfortunate quirk of building location perhaps - believe me, if it were possible to tune in ANYTHING else, it would be done. Oh great, here's Adele's new song for the fourth time today...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,593 ✭✭✭✭L1011

blueshed wrote: »

Spin's audio doesn't make my ears bleed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 King Size

MYOB wrote: »
    Spin's audio doesn't make my ears bleed though.

I believe FM104 changed their processing to Optimod late last year. Sounds very good to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,593 ✭✭✭✭L1011

King Size wrote: »
    I believe FM104 changed their processing to Optimod late last year. Sounds very good to me.

I've avoided listening for a prolonged period of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭cherrycool

The reason a lot of these stations play the same chart songs over and over is because they have to. I work for a radio station, and our commercial license is very restricted; songs are categorised, and the most popular songs in the charts right now are Category A, then the ones that have been around for a few weeks are Category B, then a few months is C, and really old songs are D ... etc. We have to play a certain number of A songs per hour, so if there's only a few songs in that category that week, they're going to end up on repeat. Its crap, but that's the way commercial stations go - if you don't like it, don't listen to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭todolist

The standard of Radio in Dublin is abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Chickenwing

Gotta love the phoneshow though !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

cherrycool wrote: »
    The reason a lot of these stations play the same chart songs over and over is because they have to. I work for a radio station, and our commercial license is very restricted; songs are categorised, and the most popular songs in the charts right now are Category A, then the ones that have been around for a few weeks are Category B, then a few months is C, and really old songs are D ... etc. We have to play a certain number of A songs per hour, so if there's only a few songs in that category that week, they're going to end up on repeat. Its crap, but that's the way commercial stations go - if you don't like it, don't listen to them.

I certainly wont. Phantom and Nova are the only two worth listening to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

As I said in my original post's first line, it's the only radio station that we can tune in. An unfortunate quirk of building location perhaps - believe me, if it were possible to tune in ANYTHING else, it would be done. Oh great, here's Adele's new song for the fourth time today...

It's the only station you can tune in? That's bizarre no? Why not turn it off?
    If people are allowed to listen to music at work then they should be required to do so with earphones. I wouldn't put up with it.

Advertisement