Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working Hol to Oz in late 2011/2012

Options
  • 03-02-2011 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi all,

was just looking for some advice, am plannin to go for the 1yr working hol with the gf late this year possibly new year '12.

Just wanted to ask everyone should we go for our visas through USIT or arrange it all ourselves and cut out the middleman. Before anyone says it have read all the threads but even tho USIT charge that bit more for the WHV you do get your travel insurance plus bank a/c and the big plus for me was the thought that they have a Sydney Office for support. Anyone any comments on USIT, should I bother with them or go my own way?

Could I also ask, by my calculations should have in and around €7-8K, herself prob €5k to go with, if the casual work situation is as bad as has been mentioned how far do you think this will stretch?

Will not be applying for a 2nd yr WHV as am 30 so dont really need to do rural work (wouldnt mind it tho if stuck) so are there casual jobs in the cities, namely Melbourne / Sydney or should we try the West? The emphasis is on the holiday and travelling more specifically a year away from my boring office job so really want a memorable trip without getting tied down for too long in any one place.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Hi all,

was just looking for some advice, am plannin to go for the 1yr working hol with the gf late this year possibly new year '12.

Just wanted to ask everyone should we go for our visas through USIT or arrange it all ourselves and cut out the middleman. Before anyone says it have read all the threads but even tho USIT charge that bit more for the WHV you do get your travel insurance plus bank a/c and the big plus for me was the thought that they have a Sydney Office for support. Anyone any comments on USIT, should I bother with them or go my own way?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

I'm in the same boat as you, travelling over in a couple of months with the girlfriend. I'm 22 with a hospitality degree tho, looking to go over to get some good aussie hotels/restaurants on the CV :D

Anyway we're planning on doing everything ourselves, and heres why:

Aside from the fact its cheaper, I've had bad experiences with visa companies. When me and the girlfriend were working in America the insurance we had to take with the visa company was piss poor and didn't cover here when she had a bad injury - hence I believe travel insurance is very important and you should get your own so you get the best possible cover.

Most of things offered by USIT are free - bank account, tax file number. Also what happens if the bank you have to become a member with (via USIT) is nowhere your new place of residence in Sydney?

Talking to people on these forums the visa companies don't offer that much help when you get to Oz - one guy got this tax file number from USIT 3 weeks after he arrived.. by that stage he had already gone out and got it himself!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 hawesome145

Nice one, thanks for the advice. Heres hopin we dont come back single eh?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Also what happens if the bank you have to become a member with is nowhere your new place of residence in Sydney?

Dunno about your other points but this one should be grand. What bank do they set you up with? I lived in Sydney a few years ago. The big banks that I can remember are ANZ, Westpac, St. George.
    You'd have to live somewhere really weird not to be near any of those three.

Those three are like our AIB & Bank of Irelands (except they're not bankrupt). Their bank cards work in all ATMs. I think they might have a fee though if you use them in a competitors bank, I can't remember now.

Dunno about your other points but this one should be grand. What bank do they set you up with? I lived in Sydney a few years ago. The big banks that I can remember are ANZ, Westpac, St. George.
    You'd have to live somewhere really weird not to be near any of those three.

Those three are like our AIB & Bank of Irelands (except they're not bankrupt). Their bank cards work in all ATMs. I think they might have a fee though if you use them in a competitors bank, I can't remember now.

Not sure, but I know that they do charge a fee for using competitors ATM's.. But at the end of the day insurance only costs around €120 (multitrip.ie) and a WHV visa is roughly €170 when converted so your saving a few bob by not going with a visa company.. I'd say your better off going it alone in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Before anyone says it have read all the threads but even tho USIT charge that bit more for the WHV you do get your travel insurance plus bank a/c and the big plus for me was the thought that they have a Sydney Office for support. Anyone any comments on USIT, should I bother with them or go my own way?

You'll get cheaper and better travel insurance elsewhere
    If you can't manage to set up a bank account on your own, then you'll have a hard time even navigating the flight stop-over.

I agree with the person who mentioned a branch near you,

mickoneill, the atm charges add up. you could easily live somewhere where there is no atm for your bank handy.

• Advertisement

Nice one, thanks for the advice. Heres hopin we dont come back single eh?

Ha, it would just be my luck for my girlfriend to run off with an aborigine :eek:

Haha or Alf Stewart. Flamin Gullaaaa

Have read a few threads and alot of people are recommending Commonwealth for a bank a/c, free charges etc, suppose I may check that their cards work in other ATMs tho. Whats the usual procedure for your lump sum you bring over? Do you leave it in your Irish bank a/c or move it over to your Australian one when you open it. You would probably get crucified by the Irish banks with ATM charges for withdrawing all the time would you?

Plus anyone any ideas on how much money to bring as mentioned in my first message?

Thanks again all.

Haha or Alf Stewart. Flamin Gullaaaa

Have read a few threads and alot of people are recommending Commonwealth for a bank a/c, free charges etc, suppose I may check that their cards work in other ATMs tho. Whats the usual procedure for your lump sum you bring over? Do you leave it in your Irish bank a/c or move it over to your Australian one when you open it. You would probably get crucified by the Irish banks with ATM charges for withdrawing all the time would you?

Plus anyone any ideas on how much money to bring as mentioned in my first message?

Thanks again all.

Most people are saying €5000 is a good number to start of with. Remember that if you want to start renting you may need to pay up to two months rent as an advance. Check out this site for tenacy laws

http://www.rentalagreementsdiy.com.au/tenancy_laws_in_australia.php

In regards to money I am only going to bring a small amount of cash over. Just enough to get by y'know? Remember with internet banking you can transfer money to your Oz bank account. AIB only charge something like €15.

By the way with Commonweath you can set up a bank account before you even get to Oz. So you could have your money sent to your Oz bank account before you even get there. You will still have to go into a brank when you get there and show them your passport etc to get your bank card.

Brilliant help thanks a mil boyo. Should be out of contract with the iphone by then so will get an Ozzie simcard and do all my internet banking with that. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hollysf

You have to do the rural work and apply/get for the 2nd year visa before you turn 31..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,354 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ha, it would just be my luck for my girlfriend to run off with an aubergine :eek:
    :eek::eek:
    Aubergine.jpg
    alot of people are recommending Commonwealth for a bank a/c, free charges etc, suppose I may check that their cards work in other ATMs tho.

All banks' ATM cards work in other banks' ATM machines, but you get charge $1 or $2 for doing so.
    Commonwealth don't have no charges either

Advertisement