Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sharing gas bill with Landlady

Options
  • 03-02-2011 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

I have an opportunity to move into a basement apartment at a pretty good rental price, here's the rub - There's no heating control - it's on the same line as the landlady who is above. Now, she has said heating is on for 2 hours morning 3 in the evening, which is about what i'd want anyway.
    I asked her what the average gas bill was, she just got back to me to say it's 2000 per year. Is this not un-naturally high for heating around 10 rooms? everything bar the heating is electric (or at least it is in the basement apartment)
    What to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

for heating 10 rooms that doesnt seem high to me.

I spend about €2,000 a year in heating (kerosene home heating oil) granted oil is more expensive but equally Im not heating 10 rooms.

I dont think thats over the top but then agian ive never had gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭StopWatch

D3PO wrote: »
    for heating 10 rooms that doesnt seem high to me.

I spend about €2,000 a year in heating (kerosene home heating oil) granted oil is more expensive but equally Im not heating 10 rooms.

I dont think thats over the top but then agian ive never had gas.

Good to know.
    Though, you have control of when you want your heating on. I will not. Which is a bit strange.
    But its good to hear what other people are paying, helps to know if i'm being ripped off or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

The massive drawback is no control. Whether your too hot or too cold doesn't matter because you have no control. Need to dry some clothes? Can't because she has all the buttons. This sounds like a poor converson job which was once one property.

I wouldn't move in. Also, what is the ratio of size and space compared to her property? You say 10 rooms. 5 each? or is upstairs bigger. If so is she paying a higher share?

I'd be interested in the legal side of this as even though you may have a seperate entrance in my mind this is still a shared house because all of the services are fed from her property. I wonder if her mortgage company even know what she's done.

I'd also be interested in the Health and safety aspects as being able to isolate hot water services in the event of a leak may not be possible either.

Is the electric shared as well from a fuse board on her side? If so very dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭jelly&icecream

Does the gas boiler heat the water as well?

Is the basement apartment roughly the same size as the landlady's apartment? Does she live there alone...if there's more than one person and the water is also heated from the gas this would affect things. Make sure that the bill is split equitably.

If you are going down this route make sure you get a meter reading when you move in and that you will need to see the gas bills when they come in. Make sure regular readings are been given back to bord gais to keep the bills accurate also.

The benefit is that if something goes wrong with the heating it's likely to be fixed sharpish!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭StopWatch

To give a better idea, it's an old Georgian Home. Top level and basement are converted into separate apartments, rest of house is unused and closed off.
    Older Lady who owns building lives at top of house, i would live in basement apartment. Strange situation but it's a large space at a low price
    It;s quite the conundrum

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

StopWatch wrote: »
    To give a better idea, it's an old Georgian Home. Top level and basement are converted into separate apartments, rest of house is unused and closed off.
    Older Lady who owns building lives at top of house, i would live in basement apartment. Strange situation but it's a large space at a low price
    It;s quite the conundrum

I've rented similar before, and if I was looking for accommodation, would have no hesitation in doing the same again. 2k per annum- which obviously will be shoehorned into Oct-April works out at ~350 a month over the winter months and then most probably only the connection fee for the summer months. This is a winter bill of EUR175 for you- and perhaps 10-20 a month in the summer. Seems a little on the high side- but if the rent is low, I'd bite their hand off.........

• Registered Users Posts: 78,392 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The amount seems quite steep. She will get more benefit than you as heat rises.

Consider paying based on the proportion of the property you occupy or even a fixed amount each month. Give the landlord the risk.

Is there a BER certificate? Which is legally required.

Advertisement