Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grushy at a wedding

Options
  • 03-02-2011 2:18pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone remember the grushy at weddings years ago?
    The father of the bride or one of the groomsmen basically threw a load of coins into the air (for luck or something) and the kids would scramble for them.

Havent seen it done in a while now, just wondering if it was a Dublin thing or common everywhere?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

yeah i remember wedding on the road years ago where we (all the kids) would stand waiting. it was like a food drop in africa once the money was thrown out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭cosmic

Gaspode wrote: »

Yeah, it was the best! Free money!

Although we used to call it Gushie

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

just wondering if it was a Dublin thing or common everywhere?
    Definitely heard of it happening in Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

only ever saw it once after a wedding in Ballyfermot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

We called it a gushie. In school, when anyone was giving away unwanted pogs/football stickers/Pokemon cards/whatever, they'd shout "gushie!" and throw their stuff up in the air.

Haven't heard it since school, but I'd say most of my mates would know what I was on about were I to mention it.

Never saw it at a wedding, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I remember one epic one, it included 50p's, loads of them. Every grushy after that one was a disappointment. Including my own :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Never at a wedding but was a primary school classic along with the immortal Pile On.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

When I was a kid in the late 70's and early 80's it was fairly common in the area I grew up in. The father of the bride (when coming out of the house and about to get into the car with the bride) would thrown a load of coins in the air. It was great laugh trying to get as many coins as you could

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Roddy Doyle's book A Star Called Henry has a grushie at a wedding in the 1880s, it could go that far back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

gazzer wrote: »
    When I was a kid in the late 70's and early 80's it was fairly common in the area I grew up in. The father of the bride (when coming out of the house and about to get into the car with the bride) would thrown a load of coins in the air. It was great laugh trying to get as many coins as you could

i am born and bread in Finglas and this brings back memories of my youth. we used to wait outside the church when we were kids for the grushie and 9 times out of 10 we would get one. as a poster said above it was like a food drop. good post bringing back a bit of nostalga.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

i am born and bread in Finglas and this brings back memories of my youth. we used to wait outside the church when we were kids for the grushie and 9 times out of 10 we would get one. as a poster said above it was like a food drop. good post bringing back a bit of nostalga.

Me too. The Annunciation. Or sometimes just hang around outside the brides gaf. Used to be killings ha ha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

The father of the bride or one of the groomsmen basically threw a load of coins into the air (for luck or something) and the kids would scramble for them.

Havent seen it done in a while now, just wondering if it was a Dublin thing or common everywhere?

I remember people having gushies at weddings im from the south inner city loved the free money and going to the shop afterwards to get our 10p bag of sweets :D the good old days loved it
    thank you for the reminder of childhood memories forgotten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭bernyh

I thought this was a Scottish thing, we got married 3 years ago and my husband had never heard of it before (he's a Dub).

Although in Scotland we call it a "scramble" and it's traditionally done outside the brides house by the brides father.... used to love it when I was a kid.... straight down to woolworth's with the proceeds!

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Pimlico

I'm from Inner City Dublin and I remember grushies well, I'm only 28 but when we were kids if anyone around the area was getting married the Father of the Bride would always throw out loads of coins, and suddenly there would be a swarm of kids jumping on the ground after the money.

I actually remember getting a coin in the eye once during a grushie, didnt faze me a bit though was too concerned on collecting all the coins :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

SteoL wrote: »
    Me too. The Annunciation. Or sometimes just hang around outside the brides gaf. Used to be killings ha ha.

Typical Westies!! haha, ah no only joking! The Annunciation is an amazing church! In Blanchardstown we used to wait outside the house and then go to the church too, just in case :p

Advertisement