Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wilton Shopping centre Redevelopment

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

charlemont wrote: »
    Why ? Should I be ?

No but its obvious you are not because if you lived in bishopstown you would be looking forward to this redevlopement.

If you don't live in bishopstown yet you are still vigorously against this idea then really i don't care. Of course you are entitled to your opinion but its easy to live in a well catered for region of cork city like mahon or douglas or ballincollig yet actually almost begrudge another area its chance of renewal.

Im sure the same doomsday talk preceeded the ballincollig shopping centre & the Blackpool shopping centre yet the same people complaining probably frequent these places every day.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

No but its obvious you are not because if you lived in bishopstown you would be looking forward to this redevlopement.

If you don't live in bishopstown yet you are still vigorously against this idea then really i don't care. Of course you are entitled to your opinion but its easy to live in a well catered for region of cork city like mahon or douglas or ballincollig yet actually almost begrudge another area its chance of renewal.

Im sure the same doomsday talk preceeded the ballincollig shopping centre & the Blackpool shopping centre yet the same people complaining probably frequent these places every day.:rolleyes:

I don't live in any of the above areas, Blackpool SC is the only large shopping centre on the whole Northside so it has a clear catchment area and is not hindered by close proximity to similar centres, Yet Wilton is only 3 miles 5 Kms from the two centres in Douglas, If I lived in Bishopstown id be more worried about more traffic lights and congestion related to this redevelopment. Another poster made a good point about the demographics in Bishopstown, Very similar to Ballintemple so who will actually spend all the money there ? Its just another car based traffic clogging project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Well as one of those kids who grew up in the 60s in Bishopstown (now living nearby) I think it's very sad to see the decline in the area. The Celtic Tiger by-passed Bishopstown & it got left behind in the 80s. It's very run down, lots of derelict sites, where the Celtic Tiger died, & student houses. The price of property was definitely a drawback to young families but that was fuelled by the demand from hospital & CIT staff.
    I for one would love to see Wilton redeveloped as a decent shopping centre but I have reservations about the apartments given the Dennehy's Cross development isn't going anywhere. I think the scale of the proposed development is too optimistic. Better a smaller scale centre with all units occupied than a large one half empty. Take a walk around the town centre in Ballincollig, it's a ghost town.

Yet Wilton is only 3 miles 5 Kms from the two centres in Douglas

So bishopstown folk have to travel 3 miles to enjoy the very infrastructure that is being proposed in this project? Are you serious? Think it about it, does that sound fair?

Yeah thats great for business in douglas but not so good for bishopstown based businesses.

So bishopstown folk have to travel 3 miles to enjoy the very infrastructure that is being proposed in this project? Are you serious? Think it about it, does that sound fair?

Yeah thats great for business in douglas but not so good for bishopstown based businesses.

So what is it ye good folk of Bishopstown cant get at the moment ?
    This just smacks of 'Your neighbourhood has it so my neighbourhood wants it too'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

Wyldwood wrote: »
    Well as one of those kids who grew up in the 60s in Bishopstown (now living nearby) I think it's very sad to see the decline in the area. The Celtic Tiger by-passed Bishopstown & it got left behind in the 80s. It's very run down, lots of derelict sites, where the Celtic Tiger died, & student houses. The price of property was definitely a drawback to young families but that was fuelled by the demand from hospital & CIT staff.
    I for one would love to see Wilton redeveloped as a decent shopping centre but I have reservations about the apartments given the Dennehy's Cross development isn't going anywhere. I think the scale of the proposed development is too optimistic. Better a smaller scale centre with all units occupied than a large one half empty. Take a walk around the town centre in Ballincollig, it's a ghost town.

Do I know you lol? I was there at the same time. I totally agree with you so so sad. You put it far better than I ever could....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

This just smacks of 'Your neighbourhood has it so my neighbourhood wants it too'.

I don't know a single person IRL from the area that's for this development. Everyone recognizes the folly for what it is, honestly how could anyone who's lived in this country recently think that a shopping centre of all things is a stimulus for community involvement?

Thats funny i was getting a bit of hint of good oul begrudgery from your posts.

Thats funny i was getting a bit of hint of good oul begrudgery from your posts.

Ha, No Iv nothing against Bishopstown myself, My earliest memory of Cork as a young child is visiting Roches Stores while my mum was over at the Regional, If Bishopstown and the west of the city itself had a higher population and density Id be all for it.

Ha, No Iv nothing against Bishopstown myself, My earliest memory of Cork as a young child is visiting Roches Stores while my mum was over at the Regional, If Bishopstown and the west of the city itself had a higher population and density Id be all for it.

We'll have to agree to disagree fella.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,277 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

No but its obvious you are not because if you lived in bishopstown you would be looking forward to this redevelopment.

Does Bishopstown need more student apartments or a 140+ bedroom hotel? Does it need more empty office space and more empty retail units? Does it need more cars clogging the roads and does it need traffic lights instead of the Wilton roundabout? Redeveloping the place is no problem but the scale of this thing is a joke. Just like the abomination that is the new Douglas Village Shopping Centre this thing is also a massively overscale development. Cork's southside is becoming just an endless strip of over sized shopping centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Look guys the thing with these plans is they always apply for the absolute most they can pack onto the site , they expect alot of the time to be knocked back , and even if they did get the go ahead they would probably phase the work out over a good few years.

You cant say look at the empty apartments in x,y,z.
    Its not applicable these guys are planning for the later half of this decade, by then there might be a need again for another student block etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

Dunno why people are objecting to the roundabout being changed. Will make everyone's driving test an awful lot easier <.<

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Aug2009

SlimCi wrote: »
    And the old Bishopstown shopping centre is a disgrace and the Viscount was closed down. Felt very sad to see the place like that, it would be great to see it get a new lease of life but not sure if the older community there would be too interested in cinema and bowling, however with an influx of young families, things would I'm sure improve for the better.

;)From what I hear Bishopstown credit Union bought the Viscount. It would be great to get a pillar of the community like BCU get involved. Perhaps a rejuve is on the cards aferall.

To be honest, I think the people are lucky it was bought in the first place but doubly lucky that it was an organisation like BCU that bought it. Cant think of a better neighbour!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

God thats great news because between there and the old shopping centre the area looks completely run down! Wonder what will happen to the old premises down the road then...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Glad to hear the Credit Union bought the Viscount, it was one of the local eyesores recently. I wonder what Dunnes are up to with the old shopping centre. All the tenants have now moved out, pharmacy & butcher gone recently. Think it's only fit for demolition but is handy for a quick shop as it's never very busy.

Advertisement