Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Party - What can managment company do?

Options
  • 03-02-2011 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭

I could not find an answer to this actual question searching, but it must have been asked before, so sorry.

I'm an owner occupier of an apartment in town, and I have a bloke in my spare room under rent a room scheme. I was away for the night one night last week, and he had a mad party.

Now all the evidence of party was gone by time I got back, so I dont really care tbh, life is for living [as long as you clean up after yourself!] - but we got a letter of warning in thru door the other night, so a couple of neigbours complained.

Now none of my 3 or 4 neighbours around me have ever made a single effortto get to know us, despite repeated efforts on my part. So I dont care about them either [which is one of the bad things about apartment living I guess].

What I am wondering is what the management company can do to me, lets say we have another party [we wont, for a while anyway], and folks complain? Can they do anything to me [the owner] apart from a harshly worded letter and maybe an annoying phone call?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

In theory, yes they can take action. This can include court action for breach of contract (of your Lease Contract).

In practice, it is not easy for them to do anything.

In saying that, annoying your neighbours is never a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

The reality is they can do very very little apart from letter-writing.

The only real risk is the Gardai come knocking if some sort of anti-social problems or similar are reported.

What exactly did the letter say, and who was it from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Probably nothing. I would read the terms and conditions of the management companies duties as the purchase agreement may make reference to noise in the evening and night but generally they would need to make an application to environmental health if it continued as I understand it.

Best way forward is to let your neighbours know in advance with a note and when it will end. It's all give and take but the last thing you want is someone playing load music in retaliation late at night to get back at you when you have work the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

You sound like a lovely landlord ;)

Your tenant, tour responsibility. Make sure that he doesn't repeat this. If your neighbours know how to apply the law then the lad could be gone pretty quickly and it could cost you some money.

The gards aren't responsible for this kind of offence but they might visit you anyway.

Several years back I had a similar situation and got my neighbours evicted within two months. I then took the landlord/landlady to court and won the case and compensation I originally sued for.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Throw the letter in the bin, Its a warning notice. Just dont make it a habit.

I got one in my last place. Funny thing is it wasnt my apartment having the party so I fecked it in the bin.

Stop worrying move on. The will forget about it. But as soon as they have a session make sure you complain back.

Swings and roundabouts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Stop worrying move on. The will forget about it. But as soon as they have a session make sure you complain back.

Swings and roundabouts.
    Yup, thats what I have done.

I told him dont do it again, and just forgot about it.

He knows he has it pretty easy, and other landlords would give him all manner of trouble over many things. So he will be a good boy :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Be careful that he doesn't do it again. Repeated noise complaints can lead to a noise abatement order being imposed against your property which would make it difficult to sell.

In fairness - one noise complaint is one too many IMO. In high density living everyone deserves peaceful enjoyment of their home, and it sounds like your neighbours had anything but on the night concerned. An apology might not go astray.

Advertisement