Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling like you're going to pass out

Options
  • 03-02-2011 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

I've given up smoking before. Lots of times in fact :rolleyes:, but this symptom is new to me, and I'm finding it problematic.

I find myself feeling very light-headed and like I might pass out, at fairly random times, when I haven't smoked for a while (not that long). I'm certain it's from not smoking, because I'm not aware of any other potential cause, and it goes away when I have a cigarette.

Has anyone experienced this? How did you deal with it? Did you ever actually faint, or just feel like you might?

Logically, I think it would most likely be over-oxygenisation; like hyperventilating mildly. Moving out of a city centre to somewhere a lot greener probably doesn't help, if that's what it is. Damn oxygen. I need smoke and car fumes.

Based on the over-oxygenisation theory I tried breathing less. It helped a bit (perhaps just psychologically), but I still feel the need to breathe normally, and then it comes back.

At the moment I just smoke a cigarette when I feel this way - so trying drip-down, rather than cold turkey. I find drip-down doesn't work so well for me otherwise though - I find it easier psychologically to decide I'm not going to have any, than to decide I'm going to have slightly fewer the whole time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭turnsoutIwas

I get that too (and have it now) but I read somewhere that it is due to sugar levels in your blood. Nicoteen regulates your blood sugar levels but when you deprive your body of nicoteen it takes it a few days for it to figure out how to do it without nicoteen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

I get that too (and have it now) but I read somewhere that it is due to sugar levels in your blood. Nicoteen regulates your blood sugar levels but when you deprive your body of nicoteen it takes it a few days for it to figure out how to do it without nicoteen.
    Yeah that occurred to me today as I experienced it again. I hope cigarettes haven't been masking adult onset diabetes or something. Eating lots of sweets is another vice I've indulged lol

So my body is learning how to regulate sugar levels and how to do number twos without cigarettes. Hm, smoking really simplifies dealing with needs. Fatigue/hunger/stress/poor concentration/constipation - all can be easily sorted by having a cigarette.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

Fatigue/hunger/stress/poor concentration/constipation - all can be easily sorted by having a cigarette.

Fags also cause the above eg: tiredness due to lack of proper oxygen, hunger - well okay not that one, stress - when you don't have any or no money to buy them or looking for money to buy them or feeling sick, etc / when you have a craving for them they break concentration / don't know about consipation. Like you I am experiencing the light headed feeling as I have just quit, I hate the feeling but it usually passes after a week of no fags and then you get back to normal (if you stay off the fags) and the above doesn't become such an issue.

Advertisement