Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dry Cleaner Disaster

Options
  • 03-02-2011 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi,

Just a word of warning to staff in the IFSC, be viligant about the dry cleaning places that you use, I have just picked up a worn once french connection dress that is completely ruined. The hem has been pulled down and there are large pulls on the front of a silk dress - the owner had the cheek to tell me that i must have done it myself!!!

Be careful!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Name and shame

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Please do not name and shame.

OP - can you give us a little more detail? We have had similar threads here in recent past, so if you give us more detail then we may be able to offer better advice

• Registered Users Posts: 43 workstoomuch

Hi Guys,

The dress was left in on Tuesday with some minor fake tan stains on the neck and underarms....

I return this afternoon to find that the hem has been torn down on the dress, and on further inspection, the stitching looks suspiciously like it was pulled.

The dress is silk and had two large pulls down the front of it and there is now what i assume to be either a water or chemical stain towards the mid - top of the back of the dress, essentially ruined, after one wear........

The woman (and she doesnt deserve to be called as such) has the nastiest attutide I have ever seen when i asked why the hem was pulled down and there were pulls on the dress - I would happily name her and her business, but its in the IFSC fairly centrally and should be avoided at all costs

Also - the charge to ruin my dress was €16, which she rather graciously didnt charge me, but threw my dress in a ball in a bag and flung it at me - charming

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

A friend of mine who had a summer job in a dry cleaners adviced me when handing in items for dry cleanimg to get the staff member to say "dress in perfect condition with no tears, beads missing etc with makeup stain on collar".

I get them to write it on the ticket and their copies. Saves a lot of hassle if something like what happened to you happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Hi there. I do not mean to hijack the original thread but seeing that no response has been provided, thought I'd share my story.

Recently, I handed in a woollen jacket to be refreshed/dry-cleaned in Newbridge. I collected the same a few days later. When I attempted to wear the same, I realised that the Hugo Boss jacket had shrunk at least 2 sizes, it had not been pressed on the outside and the lining was very creased and around the sleeve area of the lining it was obvious that some kind of colour had run into the lining.

I went back and spoke to two of the women at the reception who assured me that they only collect the goods and the manager were not based in the shop. This was when I requested that I speak to him However, they took the jacket to ‘see what could be done’.

I was called in the next day and told that ‘the jacket looked longer this time’. I went in and aside from the jacket been pressed, the shrinking was still there and obvious signs of colour run (which to me would indicate that it was washed in a normal cycle washing machine). The jacket did/does not fit.

Again, I was told by the staff that they would talk to manager. The next day, I got a call to say the manager wanted a receipt from the shop and that you would then sort the ‘issue’ with the shop or manufacturer as the piece of clothing was cleaned based on the instructions on the label!! Now, the jacket was purchased just over a year ago and this was its first cleaning as it was not worn much
    As we all know, once a woolen item gets shrunk, no traction or ironing will restore it to the original shape. I have shown the jacket to at least 5 people in the office I work and they all saw the damage caused.
    What do I do? The manager seems unrealistic and devoid of any common sense. Jacket is still with them but have taken a few pics of it just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Sounds like the chemicals had an effect on the jacket.

It should be no problem to sort this out with Hugo Boss, the store will just pass it to the buyers and they will confirm the jacket had the right label.

You should get a refund from either the dry cleaners or Hugo Boss depending on who was in the wrong. It is usually the dry cleaners who sort all this out.

I often had queries in the high st fashion stores I worked in.

If this doesnt happen you will have to go through the small claims court, but I don't think they can refund more than the price you paid for the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Sounds like the chemicals had an effect on the jacket.

It should be no problem to sort this out with Hugo Boss, the store will just pass it to the buyers and they will confirm the jacket had the right label.

You should get a refund from either the dry cleaners or Hugo Boss depending on who was in the wrong. It is usually the dry cleaners who sort all this out.

I often had queries in the high st fashion stores I worked in.

If this doesnt happen you will have to go through the small claims court, but I don't think they can refund more than the price you paid for the service.

Thanks for that. what happens if one does not have a receipt. I kept the receipt for a few months and threw it out after. Contacted CC company but it seems I paid using cash as they could not find anything referring to the retailer.
    Would it be OK to go in to the retailer and explain the circumstances-i.e. explain that jacket bought there, no receipt and that the same was damaged. Hopefully, they will agree to send jacket for confirmation

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Not even the receipt, just the details of the item.

I would just do a statement of ' A wool coat in our shop would cost €199' dated and signed. Or I would print the coat off the website as it would have the price and logo of the store. This would happen if the dry cleaner was going to cover the item.

I would def approach retailer, nicely :) .

We had a puffa jacket type thing with the wrong care labels and we were getting people back about it nearly 3 years later, so when you mention the coat they may know of it straight away. As I say I worked for high st retailers with own brand products so I don't know about Hugo Boss.

Advertisement