Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sourcing Beta testers?

• 03-02-2011 3:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I have a project going in to development soon, and it's the kind of thing that could really do with some testing by a sizable group of users to ensure the service works the way it should.

Sign off on the project is dependent on the developer building the service to a satisfactory level of quality, so it's important in that regard as well.

Anyway, I was wondering is there any site or service out there that lets you publicly invite people to Beta test a new site? Or are there other strategies used by those launching new sites to build that initial user base who would be generous with their feedback?

Many thanks for any input!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

What about a class of students studying software testing like mine? If you PM me details I'll talk to the lecturer about it - don't worry; we're not 17 - 20 year olds - it's a post graduate course with all sorts of out of work professionals getting a grounding in IT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

What about a class of students studying software testing like mine? If you PM me details I'll talk to the lecturer about it - don't worry; we're not 17 - 20 year olds - it's a post graduate course with all sorts of out of work professionals getting a grounding in IT

And how exactly are you better than 17-20 year olds?

Ha I knew someone would pick me up on that - attention span, accountability, understanding that every inaction has a consequence - I used to be one so I think I'm qualifed to have an opinion, however if you are one you don't qualify for an opinion as you don't have the benefit of hindsight for your situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JuggleBall

Ha I knew someone would pick me up on that - attention span, accountability, understanding that every inaction has a consequence - I used to be one so I think I'm qualifed to have an opinion, however if you are one you don't qualify for an opinion as you don't have the benefit of hindsight for your situation

This has to be a troll account :confused:

JuggleBall wrote: »
    This has to be a troll account :confused:

So you accuse anyone with a particular opinion of trolling; how about countering my argument with something a bit more intelligent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

it's a post graduate course with all sorts of out of work professionals getting a grounding in IT

great idea but you there is really several types of testing

1: you have your basic does it actually work without blowing up testing. Anyone can do this. Simple enough
    2: are all the spellings correct, messages etc. Again a lot of testers can do this assuming someone has provided a list of correct message etc
    3: does it work and are the results correct. This is more tricky and normally requires some degree of domain knowledge
    4: does it scale testing? what happens when I get 100,000 requests all at one go.
    5: redundancy testing? what happens when a nic fails, hd failure etc
    6: General can I break it testing

so a lot of different testing.
    OP if its web based why not release to a small number of users and get them to use/test the service?

If its web service that are certain things you can to automate the testing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Not to mention maturity, a proven track record in the work place, responsibility. I could go on.

Absolutely not a troll, a well put together argument for hiring people off this course imho. I'm not putting down people looking for their first jobs, but henryporter has a point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭but43r

Don't see his point. It depends on the person at the end of the day. You could have someone who is 17 and has all those qualities and you could have a 30 year old with none of those qualities. Very immature posting something like that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

but43r wrote: »
    Don't see his point. It depends on the person at the end of the day. You could have someone who is 17 and has all those qualities and you could have a 30 year old with none of those qualities. Very immature posting something like that....
    I have to totally agree.

henryporter if you deserve an opinion then everybody else deserves an opinion whether they are 5, 10, 17 or 30.

How can you put a figure on the attention span of a group when it will vary depending on the subject matter and the person in question?

Does a 30 year old who has spent their whole time on the dole have a proven track record in the workplace or what about a 30 year old who has been fired from numerous jobs over disciplinary issues? Again this depends on the individual in question.

Anybody could put forward arguments as to why 30 year olds are better then 17 - 20 year olds but somebody else could come forward and put forward arguments just as good if not better in favour of the 17 - 20 year olds. This is all a matter of opinion and probably a little off topic too.

Advertisement