Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fingal Gone?

• 03-02-2011 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭

The jungle drums are alive with the sound that Sporting Fingal have folded after failing to secure an investor.

Anyone confirm or deny?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Jesus, that would be one of the fastest rises and falls ever. Heard nada down here yet anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

I go for a jog in ALSAA at lunchtime where they train and I haven't seen them there recently. I know the clubs are on a break but I thought they'd be back training now??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Gone I heard. Press release later this afternoon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

How long did Dublin City last -> 2003 - 2006?

In other news, plane with one wing crashes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

bohsboy wrote: »
    Gone I heard. Press release later this afternoon.

If you reckon they are gone, I'm sticking a tenner on them for the league.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

It was on the cards sonnet or later. Hard for the supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Statement in about an hour. Our Commercial manager left us last week to join them, epic job hes done :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Sporting Fingal has been seeking to restructure over recent months ahead of the 2011 campaign.

It had developed what it believed to be a viable business plan on a reduced and prudent scale having secured new investors and some sponsors. A number of commitments which would be crucial to its viability have, in very recent days, not materialised.

The club has regretfully, for the first time since it’s inception in 2007, not been in a position to pay players’ wages at this point and are urgently attempting to resolve the issue.

The FAI and the players’ union, PFAI, have been informed of the situation.

They a real club now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Hope its true!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Yeah, it's official now.

A financial backer pulled out in the last few days.

The club is still seeking to fill the gap, but at this rate it's not looking good.

• Advertisement

And this, of course, will have a big knock on effect for Bohs (renting Dalymount).

That could very well mean two clubs gone from the Premier Division. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Its their fan I feel sorry for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Paulw wrote: »
    Yeah, it's official now.

A financial backer pulled out in the last few days.

The club is still seeking to fill the gap, but at this rate it's not looking good.

any link or this just word on the street??

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Its their fan I feel sorry for.

It's the players I feel sorry for.

I got the official press release (I'm on the media email list). It went out about 15 min ago to all media outlets.

The club is not gone YET ... they are still seeking alternate funding, but it just doesn't look good, and they are being upfront about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Not great news at all
    dan1895 wrote: »
    Hope its true!!!
    Just curious why?
    Also curious why?

What have Gary O' Neill, Raffaele Cretaro and Barry Murphy got in common?

They know a good thing when they see it.

Seriously though. some decent players there that will easily find clubs, especially Williams, Finn, O Neill and O' Brien.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Who pulled the plug on funding? Gannon?

Trilla wrote: »
    Not great news at all

Just curious why?

Also curious why?

Its not like they were in the league on merit. Got formed, got lots of backing, Kilkenny went bust and they were straight into the league rather than working their way up! Haven't liked them since day one.

flanzer wrote: »
    Who pulled the plug on funding? Gannon?

Gannon was gone since last Oct. He was not involved at all this year.

I doubt it will be made official who pulled out. There were a number of investors this season, to share the load, rather than all money coming from a limited number of sources.

A fairly large backer pulled out. The club are still trying to seek funding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

dan1895 wrote: »
    Hope its true!!!

Why? Nobody should be salivating over a club folding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

That_Guy wrote: »

They aren't just any old rich in history club though.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

At this rate they'll stop using promotion/relegation at all in the LOI, and just have the most finacially stable clubs in the premier league, or should that read the least financially unstable clubs.

Sad state of affairs to be in really. Much as I was never much of a liker of them, any team folding is bad for the league and the domestic game in this country.

Them being allowed in was bad for the league, this was always on the cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Xavi6 wrote: »

Same as City so :D

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    Dublin City???? Look what happened to them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

City ain't rich in history. Just rich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

For Fingal yes. From Day 1 people were saying they will be bust in a few years. The FAI ignored all of this and even went as far as commending how the club was run. It makes a mockery of the license system and the FAI. Them out of the league is a good thing by me. Also the tax payer have been funding a lot of this club and the convenient side jobs some of the players have for the council and the houses they live in. As usual in a situation like this i feel sorry for the players. Hopefully they were not under the illusion that this was sustainable forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

Still crying over the fact that somebody had the neck to put a rumour up about your beloved club?

Want to start looking closely at your own fanbase for these emerging rumours.

Pauleta wrote: »
    Hopefully they were not under the illusion that this was sustainable forever.

Some appeared to be, unfortunately.

• Advertisement

City ain't rich in history. Just rich.

Hence why i said they are the same as Fingal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

Only people I feel sorry for are players and staff. The two fans, I laugh at you.

Hilarious. Any chance of not derailing the thread? Bad enough with EPL v LOI bollox as it is without bringing it up for no reason.

FYI - MCFC founded 1880, SF founded 2007. History lesson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    Only people I feel sorry for are players

The same players that have turned good contracts down at other clubs to sign for a club that everybody knew would end up like this??
    I hope to meet some of these players, I have some magic beans to sell

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Regardless of history etc, it's not good to see a club die.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

The two fans, I laugh at you.

Nice.

• Advertisement

doncarlos wrote: »
    The same players that have turned good contracts down at other clubs to sign for a club that everybody knew would end up like this??
    I hope to meet some of these players, I have some magic beans to sell

It's never nice to see someone being laid off, regardless of how naive they were.

Can't wait the see what The Lep and the other fella come out with though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Only people I feel sorry for are players and staff. The two fans, I laugh at you.

Uncalled for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

It's never nice to see someone being laid off, regardless of how naive they were.

True in any other industry, but being a football supporter allows ones nastier streak and lack of compassion come out. I don't think any of us would ever apologise for it either! :D

dsmythy wrote: »
    Uncalled for.

Are you the third fan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

What a gob****e of a post from a so called moderator. If it was posted by a normal poster then fair enough but a moderator. Have a word with yourself there good boy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

We're at a point now in this modern day where clubs get bought for billions regardless of their culture/history...so even though it means something to a fan of such a club, I don't think there is much difference between turning a small club or underachieving or average team into leading contenders overnight or doing it with a completely new one.

Thats not a go at the Manchester City situation at all, just using it as an example. Same can be said for lots of clubs.

Its never nice to see a club die, especially in our own country.

Also I'm beginning to see what my mates go on about when they read the LOI threads. A lot of biterness, childish and quiet frankly stupid comments/remarks. Theres a few in this thread

What a gob****e of a post from a so called moderator. If it was posted by a normal poster then fair enough but a moderator. Have a word with yourself there good boy.

I'm a moderator in the maths forum. In here I'm a normal poster. Report my post if you like.

Hilarious. Any chance of not derailing the thread? Bad enough with EPL v LOI bollox as it is without bringing it up for no reason.

FYI - MCFC founded 1880, SF founded 2007. History lesson.

You started it pal as usual. No thread derailing here, I'm a Fingal fan, take your sly digs else where.

I'm a moderator in the maths forum.

Looks like someone at a certain football franchise could of done with your expertise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Get over yourself. This is fantastic news and shows people who may think they can set up a club and walk the PD, that this can't happen!

SantryRed wrote: »
    Get over yourself. This is fantastic news and shows people who may think they can set up a club and walk the PD, that this can't happen!

If they set up down the road from us, you wouldn't give a shit.

Your gripe with Fingal is a turf war which is fair enough, but don't dress it up otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

He was commenting on the poster saying he laughed at the fans. Way out of line it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

A lot of league of Ireland fans are pathetic.

You started it pal as usual. No thread derailing here, I'm a Fingal fan, take your sly digs else where.

Started what 'as usual'? Are you or ar you not a club rich in history?

A simple yes/no answer is all that's need.

I didn't think it was fantastic news when Shelbourne went down, or Rovers or Derry, Cork, Drogheda, potentially Bohs and now Fingal. Fair enough some teams deserve a dose of reality but I never wish the demise of any club. Any fan of a a LOI club taunting another is the pot calling the kettle black. Mistakes made, all these other teams were given a second chance, unfortunately Fingal probably won't be.

It's a loss to the league, themselves and Sligo played the best football bar none and it's a shame cause if they do go, they will be missed by me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement