Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fingal Gone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

stovelid wrote: »
    If they set up down the road from us, you wouldn't give a shit.

Your gripe with Fingal is a turf war which is fair enough, but don't dress it up otherwise.

I have no gripe with Fingal over a turf war. None at all. I'm pretty sure they took none of Shels fans. I don't really care if they did. The fans attitude on here was hilarious when everyone knew it was going to be just like Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

A lot of league of Ireland fans are pathetic.

A lot of premiership fans are pathetic.
    A lot of SPL fans are pathetis.
    A lot of Bundesliga fans are pathetic.

Whats your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Started what 'as usual'? Are you or ar you not a club rich in history?

A simple yes/no answer is all that's need.

As rich as our short life cycle has brought us. What LOI team do you support? Not a LOI - EPL debate, just a general question. Have you seen how hard they have tried to get fans to come to games and then to sustain that fanbase, it's not easy in any league never mind the LOI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

FreeOSCAR wrote: »
    It's a loss to the league
    Its really not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

A lot of league of Ireland fans are pathetic.

There's always worse. You could be a plastic cockney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

SantryRed wrote: »
    Get over yourself. This is fantastic news and shows people who may think they can set up a club and walk the PD, that this can't happen!

Just shows that you are not a football fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

As rich as our short life cycle has brought us. What LOI team do you support? Not a LOI - EPL debate, just a general question. Have you seen how hard they have tried to get fans to come to games and then to sustain that fanbase, it's not easy in any league never mind the LOI.

Shels since 1989.

I actually think new clubs is good for the league in terms of generating excitement for a new generation in a new catchment area.

However you can hardly blame the fans of established clubs from crying foul at the beginning then sniggering when it goes tits up. That's simply the point I was making about the club not having a long history and that being the reason why (as well as the financial stuff obviously).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

CiaranC wrote: »
    Its really not.

You are only saying that because you couldnt beat us :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Just shows that you are not a football fan.

Not a football fan? :pac:

After that, I'm done with this thread. Delighted though :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭TerryTibbs!

But I am not and even that would be better than some of the bitter petty people who post here. It is just an observation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

with a user name like terry tibbs id say he is only a 16 yer old plastic cockney;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Paulw wrote: »
    A fairly large backer pulled out. The club are still trying to seek funding.

Care to name who this backer was?

Just to the Fingal fans, we told you so!

Shels since 1989.

I actually think new clubs is good for the league in terms of generating excitement for a new generation in a new catchment area.

However you can hardly blame the fans of established clubs from crying foul at the beginning then sniggering when it goes tits up. That's simply the point I was making about the club not having a long history and that being the reason why (as well as the financial stuff obviously).

Ok fair enough, I took your point the wrong way.

The other fans of established clubs have had their clubs act the exact same way as Fingal even more so. The amount of money certain players from Shels, Cork, Bohs, Drogheda and Rovers were on before they copped on was incredible. If any other club had Gannon and co backing them they probably would have made use of it.

The LOI is still not heeding to the warnings, Fingal are probably gone but any other fans sniggering, who are they to judge when they could be in the same situation in the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

You weren't so smug when Ollie evaded the tax man and ran up debt. At least this statement is honesty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Im only saying it because SF were a franchise parachuted into the league to replace Shelbourne, in an area which already has too many teams, using a stupid unsustainable model supposed to operate without any fans, exactly the same as Dublin City before them. Their demise is/was inevitable.

You cannot just create a football club out of thin air, a football club is a living, breathing organic entity and needs to grow roots first. Its hard enough to survive with a hundred years of history and tradition behind you.

I feel genuinely sorry for the guys who made a go of it, but its not a loss to the league. Putting Fingal in the league in the first place was a mistake.

• Advertisement

I think Fingal fans new this wasn't sustainable, I think they just thought gradually reducing the wages would do the trick, which they have been over the past 15months. Kick in the teeth this stuff happening early but the team is full of talented players which will find other teams here and abroad.

darsar wrote: »
    You weren't so smug when Ollie evaded the tax man and ran up debt. At least this statement is honesty.

And the tax Ollie evaded, all his debts he bulit up, all players wages were paid in the full. If Fingal fold their debts will be the Governments problem, at least we do things the moral way, sure as of last season (not sure of this season) we're still paying off debts Ollie left behind.
    CiaranC wrote: »
    Im only saying it because SF were a franchise parachuted into the league to replace Shelbourne, in an area which already has too many teams, using a stupid unsustainable model supposed to operate without any fans, exactly the same as Dublin City before them. Their demise is/was inevitable.

You cannot just create a football club out of thin air, a football club is a living, breathing organic entity and needs to grow roots first. Its hard enough to survive with a hundred years of history and tradition behind you.

I feel genuinely sorry for the guys who made a go of it, but its not a loss to the league. Putting Fingal in the league in the first place was a mistake.

+1 Awaits though people saying that Fingal weren't a replacement for Shels!:rolleyes: Forza Shels!!!!!!!!
    I think Fingal fans new this wasn't sustainable

Well from reading Fingal fans comments for the couple of years on here and on foot.ie they weren't questioning their finances tbh.

Well from reading Fingal fans comments for the couple of years on here and on foot.ie they weren't questioning their finances tbh.

Probably not on a public forum but in reality they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

But I am not and even that would be better than some of the bitter petty people who post here. It is just an observation.

cockney.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Can I just point out that I never said we would definitely work and if people want to check out older posts on the matter, be my guest. I always argued that we may not survive but dont be so willing to write us off straight from the start. That has always been my argument.

It seems now that the club is in major trouble and may fold unfortunately. (Hopefully not).
    Iv only ever posted on here with the intention of trying to promote the club and engage with other loi fans. Iv sometimes gotten into some of the most ridiculous arguments iv ever had and allowed certain obvious trolls to get to me. Something I dont really do anymore as I soon realised this is exactly what they want.

There has been some vary fair criticisms from what I would call decent posters with obvious concerns and as I became more and more familiar with what it was like to be a LOI fan, I began to understand these more and more and the reasons for them.
    It was the lies that where posted about the club that I had a problem with and it was these I argued against and not whether we would definitely be viable or not. Basically because I didnt know for sure if we would. I hope we would and also hoped to become an established club with a decent fan base and that was all I did. I still hope.

Can I just finish by saying Iv loved being a LOI fan for the past 3 years and hopefully more to come and if the club go ill be gutted. All the best to the rest of the clubs in the league and hopefully an end to all this uncertainty for ourselves and the rest.

PS. SCREW YOU ALL:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Lamper, just remove one of them "f"'s from your username and come down to Tolka ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

It's funny seeing LOI fans telling off so called barstoolers for supporting English clubs when they then are glad to see one of there own clubs fold.

Yes SF may have been a new club and may have had its downfalls, but sure news about Bohs and other clubs in past few years can only be bad for league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

To the Fingal fans - will ye supports another LoI team or just be a neutral?

baz2009 wrote: »

there's one too many of the letter S in your post. :p

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

That_Guy wrote: »
    Why? Nobody should be salivating over a club folding.

There's a chance there's more posts in this thread than the amount of people negatively affected by the sudden collapse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

In the LoI, winning a match = winning a battle.

Surviving is winning the war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Des wrote: »
    there's one too many of the letter S in your post. :p

At the end of 'supports' or 'fans'? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

The new Sporting Fingal of course ;)

Lamper, just remove one of them "f"'s from your username and come down to Tolka ;)

Not gone yet.

But to answer your question. I couldnt support another club that wasnt a Fingal club. I would probably go to some games as a neutral maybe but even the idea of doing that feels a little souless to me right now. :(

Maybe a few Glebe North games should be attended :) if all goes pair shaped.

Not gone yet.

But to answer your question. I couldnt support another club that wasnt a Fingal club. I would probably go to some games as a neutral maybe but even the idea of doing that feels a little souless to me right now. :(

you were going to be travelling to d7 for matches anyway.

And Tolka is nearer to the Santry Siro than Dalyer is.

• Advertisement

But to answer your question. I couldnt support another club that wasnt a Fingal club.

Which one of yous was a Dublin City fan before they went bust too?

you were going to be travelling to d7 for matches anyway.

And Tolka is nearer to the Santry Siro than Dalyer is.

Yeah but thats the club I supported and was hoping we would get back to Fingal sooner rather than later. Just like some older fans of Shels come over the liffey to support Shels in Tolka. Not really their spiritual home but they support the club. (this is not a dig btw). Im sure a lot would love Shels to move back im guessing.

Plus with the rivalry between the two club in div 1 there is no way I could support shels or even watch as a neutral. Plus GAV sells programmes at the matches and id feel this overwhelming urge to happy slap him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

I really hope this is the end.

Fingal was my first LOI club. Was getting bored with the english game and crap that was coming from Sky (plus Leeds relegations:o) Still love me leeds though. So when I heard about the club starting up I had intended to go from day one. Whether A championship or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭S.R.F.C.

Apolgies if it's already been asked but what will you do if this is the end, will you follow another club here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I hope Cobh will be promoted up if Fingal go bust. I'd love to see a Cork derby in the first divsion this season.

As for Fingal it's not a big surprise whats happened though i thought they might get through the coming season before it all caved in.

Yeah but thats the club I supported and was hoping we would get back to Fingal sooner rather than later. Just like some older fans of Shels come over the liffey to support Shels in Tolka. Not really their spiritual home but they support the club. (this is not a dig btw). Im sure a lot would love Shels to move back im guessing.

Plus with the rivalry between the two club in div 1 there is no way I could support shels or even watch as a neutral. Plus GAV sells programmes at the matches and id feel this overwhelming urge to happy slap him ;)

I don't think you have enough bitterness to be a Shels supporter anyway.

I actually agree with you for probably the first time ever.:D

Awh sure if yous are still around we have our friendly in Tolka later this month.;) Don't really sell programmes these days either *touchwood*.
    Fingal was my first LOI club.

Didn't say it was you, but it's one of the Fingal lads who post on here.

S.R.F.C. wrote: »
    Apolgies if it's already been asked but what will you do if this is the end, will you follow another club here?

Answered about 5 or 6 posts back

• Advertisement

I hope Cobh will be promoted up if Fingal go bust. I'd love to see a Cork derby in the first divsion this season.

Always liked away trips to Cobh (minus the local pikies), and they'd usually have pretty decent attendences, would be a better team to have in the 1st Division than Salthill or Mervue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

You're going to enjoy this Gav!
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62906095&postcount=6
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

They aren't just any old rich in history club though.

Whereas Bohs, Shels , Rovers, Pats etc were founded with a hundred years of history under their belts?

Everyone has to start somewhere and this attitude towards a club just becuse its new is petty and small tbh.

At what stage should people have stopped foundign clubs that would suit everyone?

Whereas Bohs, Shels , Rovers, Pats etc were founded with a hundred years of history under their belts?

Everyone has to start somewhere and this attitude towards a club just becuse its new is petty and small tbh.

At what stage should people have stopped foundign clubs that would suit everyone?

You've either missed the point or don't know much about LoI.

Why were Fingal leap frogged into the 1st Division? They were meant to be a replacement for Shels when we were on the brink.

The Genesis Report pointed out we needed a bigger spread of teams, making a new Franchise in Fingal doesn't make sense.

And also there was 5 teams in Dublin alone whos attendences weren't great at the time, and then go and throw in a 6th team 30 mins from two already established team.

I think it's more to do with the fact that they were a new club bloated with Gannons money is the problem. It was a club built on quicksand.

Contrast them with Wexford Youths who started in the first division around the same time as Fingal. I know Youths have Mick Wallace as a backer but he's focused on building the club up in a sensible manner and they have a lot of players that have come up through the ranks.

It's Fingals approach of throwing money around recklessly from the beginning that annoyed most people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

To answer the question posed a page back, Ill most likely be heading to Shels or Bohs. Iv never actually been to Tolka although always wanted to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Galway United for the Setanta Cup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

To answer the question posed a page back, Ill most likely be heading to Shels or Bohs. Iv never actually been to Tolka although always wanted to.

How could you possibly go to Shels after all the early grief they gave us. :eek: :D

If no new Sporting Fingal arises from this apparent mess, I might leave it to fate and look out for the first team I see bothering to advertise themselves in Swords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Not gone yet.

Sorry for your pain Lamper. I always enjoyed your posts promoting Fingal like a proper football fan. Keep note of those extracting the urine now, 'cos (unfortunately) I think more clubs are heading the same way and it'll be your turn then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

dsmythy wrote: »
    How could you possibly go to Shels after all the early grief they gave us. :eek: :D

If no new Sporting Fingal arises from this apparent mess, I might leave it to fate and look out for the first team I see bothering to advertise themselves in Swords.
    Which would probably inevitably be us.

CSF wrote: »
    Which would probably inevitably be us.

Shels? Advertise anywhere other than right outside Tolka Park? :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement