Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fingal Gone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Was at the two games in tolka in 2007, both cracking games but I don't remember any trouble or many ramblers fans. Think one of the games was a tuesday and therefore a lower than usual atendance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Ya cobh does have a few scumbags but from my recollection shels are hardly a bunch of angels. The amount of times shels have been to cobh and cobh have been up to dublin there were numerous attacks by shels fans.

I saw two shels lads get of a train a few years ago on their way to a shels-cobh match down in cobh and they were roaring drunk and throwing up all over the place so that wouldn't suprise me either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I saw two shels lads get of a train a few years ago on their way to a shels-cobh match down in cobh and they were roaring drunk and throwing up all over the place so that wouldn't suprise me either.
    Do you realise what you sound like there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

They came from the train, Joe! Drunk as skunks, Joe!

CSF wrote: »
    Do you realise what you sound like there?

If i'd added "and their all like that" then you'd be right, but i didn't.

• Advertisement

Naaah, you didn't say that.. you didn't say anything relatively CLOSE to that..

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Our Commercial Manager left us for Fingal, his 1st day was monday his last today :eek:

Wrong, he had already left Pats. He didnt leave Pats to go to Fingal.

I think you're missing the point entirely. Being drunk and a bit boisterous does not equal attacking people.

Naaah, you didn't say that.. you didn't say anything relatively CLOSE to that..

:cool:

So you're saying they have no scumbags supporters at all. Wow what a perfect little world your living in.

So you're saying they have no scumbags supporters at all. Wow what a perfect little world your living in.

You'd want to get your mind-reading licence renewed, mate.

• Advertisement

I'm not here to judge the personalities of every individual Shels fan, but since we've dropped down to the First Division(not that we were ever bad), there aren't any instances of opposition fans or locals being attacked at our home or away games. We've a few 14/15 year old scrotes who'll sometimes act a bit hard, but they certainly wouldn't have the balls to throw a punch. Harmless wannabeism is the most we have.

You'd want to get your mind-reading licence renewed, mate.

You obviously never got yours in the first place since you assumed i thought all shels fans were scumbags.

Anyway if people say there was no trouble at the shels-cobh match in tolka, fair enough.

You obviously never got yours in the first place since you assumed i thought all shels fans were scumbags.

Anyway if people say there was no trouble at the shels-cobh match in tolka, fair enough.
    So you don't want to back up any implications that we do have scumbags attacking people?

So you don't want to back up any implications that we do have scumbags attacking people?

I wasn't the one who claimed there people being attacked.

I wasn't the one who claimed there people being attacked.
    No but you did accuse someone of perfect little world for thinking that isn't happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Wrong, phil left us for fingal.

http://stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=4115

Seriously back under the bridge your fun has ended.

I never tried to read your mind, I merely read between the lines of your post.

There's scumbags in Drumcondra, some of them drink too :eek:

Happy?

No but you did accuse someone of perfect little world for thinking that isn't happening.

No i said that he didn't think ye don't have any scumbag supporters at all. You even said yourself theres a few youngfellas that act the maggot.

I never said anything about people being attacked was true. You're really trying to twist my words and find meaning thats not there.

No i said that he didn't think ye don't have any scumbag supporters at all. You even said yourself theres a few youngfellas that act the maggot.

I never said anything about people being attacked was true. You're really trying to twist my words and find meaning thats not there.
    Well no, I'm not trying to twist your words, just the person you said that too had made no implication that Shels had no idiots/scangers (whatever you wanna call them) so in that sense it was a pretty weird and random thing to say if you weren't implying something more sinister.

Well no, I'm not trying to twist your words, just the person you said that too had made no implication that Shels had no idiots/scangers (whatever you wanna call them) so in that sense it was a pretty weird and random thing to say if you weren't implying something more sinister.

Well given he was accusing me of tarring all shels fans with the same brush it wasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think I preferred it when Shels fans were going after Fingal...

Looking forward to the game next week CSF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

baz2009 wrote: »
    To the Fingal fans - will ye supports another LoI team or just be a neutral?
    Nah..I'm just gonna sit in a darkened room pouring cheap whiskey down my throat from my SFFC mug.

dfx- wrote: »
    I think I preferred it when Shels fans were going after Fingal...

Looking forward to the game next week CSF?
    The footballing part yes, no better team to test ourselves against than the champions. The probable sh*te we'll have to deal with before and after it, not so much. Hopefully it gos down without incident.

born2bwild wrote: »
    Nah..I'm just gonna sit in a darkened room pouring cheap whiskey down my throat from my SFFC mug.
    March 4th, Shelbourne v Waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

March 4th, Shelbourne v Waterford.
    I was at your 1-2 loss to them last October. Thought I was looking possible opponents for 2011. Arse. I am not a happy camper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Meltdown of thread begins. Time to close methinks. All the best lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Ebbs wrote: »
    Pat Flynn works, others are in college for the most part.

Well if Pat Flynn works, that makes it two, as Pat Flynn wasn't the player I was on about.
    Ya cobh does have a few scumbags but from my recollection shels are hardly a bunch of angels. The amount of times shels have been to cobh and cobh have been up to dublin there were numerous attacks by shels fans.

Already answered, but I've never seen more than 8 Cobh Fans in Tolka for a match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

Well if Pat Flynn works, that makes it two, as Pat Flynn wasn't the player I was on about.

He did last season anyway, since he resigned I havnt seen him working but thats just speculation :P Who's the other?

As for the thread; as a rovers fan on my moral high ground, I can safely say both clubs have a handful of undesirable fans ;) But thats life.

He did last season anyway, since he resigned I havnt seen him working but thats just speculation :P Who's the other?

Graham Barrett, he was getting paid by the FAI. Head of Coaching in Wicklow Schoolboys or something along those lines was his job description afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Pineapple stu

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Wrong, phil left us for fingal.

http://stpatsfc.com/news.php?id=4115

Seriously back under the bridge your fun has ended.

Read your forum. He only joined Fingal last week .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I'm hardly lauding the Fingal model here. But they're also not alone in their problems, just don't have the fans to drag them out of it.
    Every single club in the LOI has a basal level of income that they can be virtually guaranteed to receive every season, be it from season ticket sales, TV money, sponsorship, or whatever. Why can’t clubs budget so that they spend less than they receive (and preferably reinvest the profit in the club’s infrastructure)? Why is that so difficult to achieve?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

you going back to supporting ucd?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

djpbarry wrote: »
    Every single club in the LOI has a basal level of income that they can be virtually guaranteed to receive every season, be it from season ticket sales, TV money, sponsorship, or whatever. Why can’t clubs budget so that they spend less than they receive (and preferably reinvest the profit in the club’s infrastructure)? Why is that so difficult to achieve?

It's a very good question, but not just confined to the LOI. I think fan pressure - or perceived fan pressure - has a lot to do with it here. Clubs reckon that, to build a really solid business, they need to be the dominant team in the country, which leads to undue financial risk taking. The alternative is that these clubs are run by egomaniacs or people who just don't know what they're doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

You could ask the same about most teams in any league in any sport.

The LoI is no better or worse than any other pro league, or other Irish sport

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭celticutd87

Fingal had good ambition fair enough but i suppose it goes to show that you cant rely on a wealthy backer who may pull out at any minute.

Now im not gonna criticise them because my team cobh ramblers came very close to the wall when we went beyond our means 2 years ago after promotion and we got demoted. Id be fairly fearful if we came up because our team is full of ameteur teens who arent being paid. Manager is only one getting paid. Up the ramblers!

• Advertisement

I'm not sure I'd agree with that, but it's beside the point - the fact that other sports clubs are doing a **** job of managing their finances doesn't take away from the fact that keeping expenditure below income levels shouldn't be all that difficult. It's common sense for any business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

But why does the LOI have teams going to the wall on an almost seasonal basis ? This does not include clubs like Cork City, Shelbourne, Drogheda United, Derry City, and Bohemians, who were punished with relegation, or their financial situation was so bad that relegation was a guarantee.

Id like to know how many major league football superpowers have a league which is as financially precarious as ours. To suggest that the manner in which the aformentioned teams have operated is ultimately the same as Man United or Real Madrid would be ludicrious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Het-Field wrote: »
    To suggest that the manner in which the aformentioned teams have operated is ultimately the same as Man United or Real Madrid would be ludicrious.
    Both those teams have hundreds of times the debt of any LOI team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Exactly. Why are all English premiership teams in the red? They simply spend more than they earn chasing success in the hope of massive financial reward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

CiaranC wrote: »
    Both those teams have hundreds of times the debt of any LOI team.

Unlike many LOI teams they have

-Huge property assets
    -Playing staff worth Hundereds of Millions
    -A regular influx of revenue due to participate in the Champions League
    -A regular influx of decent domestic prize money.
    -Huge international following, and all the ancilliary merchandising benefits which come with it.
    -Weekly attendances of almost 70,000 punters per week
    -Domestic merchandising

Their model is more sustainable then that of many League of Ireland clubs. To break these teams, you would have to break all the aformentioned positive traits. The likes of Shelbourne used the Real Madrid model, but were never going to be in the position to service their debts, as their fanbase was mainly from North-County Dublin, the playing assets were good, but not worth the money required to pull Shelbourne from the mire. Equally, the attendances were not great, the prize money on offer was not great, and the chances of Champions League qualifications were poor.

When you look at the situations that prevailed at Bohemians and Shelbourne, and that at Rea Madrid and Man Utd, you will see that they are rather different, and cannot be compared.

• Advertisement

But why does the LOI have teams going to the wall on an almost seasonal basis ? This does not include clubs like Cork City, Shelbourne, Drogheda United, Derry City, and Bohemians, who were punished with relegation, or their financial situation was so bad that relegation was a guarantee.

Very few LoI clubs acually do go to the wall though. They get through, which is the experience for 99% of professional sports teams. The fact the FAI are taking action against miscreants is a good thing.

Dublin City are the only LoI team to go completely bust in living memory. And that was a strange setup
    Id like to know how many major league football superpowers have a league which is as financially precarious as ours. To suggest that the manner in which the aformentioned teams have operated is ultimately the same as Man United or Real Madrid would be ludicrious.

Its not. The principal is the same. Clubs are using money they don't have to chase success. The only difference is the ability of Man U and Real Madrid to borrow more or stave off creditors.

The English pyramid is littered with financial casualties, from the top flight to the regional leagues. So is Scotland. As is Italy. As is Spain.

Three GAA county boards have gone bust and been bailed out in the last couple of years, including Hurling cup final winners Tipp last year. Its not even unique to football.

Unlike many LOI teams they have

-Huge property assets
    -Playing staff worth Hundereds of Millions
    -A regular influx of revenue due to participate in the Champions League
    -A regular influx of decent domestic prize money.
    -Huge international following, and all the ancilliary merchandising benefits which come with it.
    -Weekly attendances of almost 70,000 punters per week
    -Domestic merchandising

Their model is more sustainable then that of many League of Ireland clubs. To break these teams, you would have to break all the aformentioned positive traits. The likes of Shelbourne used the Real Madrid model, but were never going to be in the position to service their debts, as their fanbase was mainly from North-County Dublin, the playing assets were good, but not worth the money required to pull Shelbourne from the mire. Equally, the attendances were not great, the prize money on offer was not great, and the chances of Champions League qualifications were poor.

When you look at the situations that prevailed at Bohemians and Shelbourne, and that at Rea Madrid and Man Utd, you will see that they are rather different, and cannot be compared.

The only difference is scale.

Bohs owe €4m. Man United owe £700m.

Bohs owe about a years turnover. Man United about 3.

Bohs own an asset worh about 5 times their debt. Man United own an asset valued at about 1% of theirs.

So I suppose you are right. The situations are not comparable. English clubs are run far worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I should apply the EPL supporter justification of overspending to my own life. To wit: it's fine to run up astronomical levels of debt that I will probably never, ever clear off because I can meet the repayments.

The idea that the EPL bubble economy will never burst is also presumptious. Anybody here of a certain age can remember even teams like United with 20k at games and I don't see why we automatically assume that this won't ever be the case again.

If a club like Leeds can hit the wall, so can others, even at the highest level. The fact of the matter here is that about five or six of the biggest clubs in the world are always being held up as an example on here - just as the same clubs are always used to define what consitutes football to the millions and millions of other supporters in the world.

There's also a few LOI supporters (basically from two clubs) on here that are of the opinion that because their own precious clubs are now stuck in the first division - through no other fault than their own - that nobody should ever support LOI again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Pure_Cork

stovelid wrote: »
    There's also a few LOI supporters (basically from two clubs) on here that are of the opinion that because their own precious clubs are now stuck in the first division - through no other fault than their own - that nobody should ever support LOI again.

What fans of what clubs are you talking about?

But why does the LOI have teams going to the wall on an almost seasonal basis ?
    As opposed to the UK, for example? Clubs in the lower leagues across the water run into financial difficulties all the time, but it doesn’t make headlines because they’re not in the Premiership. Hell, even Portsmouth running into serious difficulty last season doesn’t seem to have prompted any sort of major debate.

Pat Flynn works, others are in college for the most part.

Just on this, any idea what he does? Nearly sure I seen him after college in the Londis just off the Belgard Rd making up a Powerade drink stand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Just on this, any idea what he does? Nearly sure I seen him after college in the Londis just off the Belgard Rd making up a Powerade drink stand.

Think he works for Coca-Cola.

stovelid wrote: »
    Think he works for Coca-Cola.

Must have been him so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

As opposed to the UK, for example? Clubs in the lower leagues across the water run into financial difficulties all the time, but it doesn’t make headlines because they’re not in the Premiership. Hell, even Portsmouth running into serious difficulty last season doesn’t seem to have prompted any sort of major debate.

The correlation between winning competitions and getting into severe financial difficulty is much higher over here though. This stuff is happening to our most successful clubs on the pitch. Over and over and over.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

A constant flow even

Luton, Leicester, Southampton, Portsmouth...

Halifax 2008
    Rotherham 2008
    Southampton 2008
    Luton 2008
    Stockport 2009
    Salisbury 2009
    Bournemouth 2008
    Darlington 2009
    Chester 2009
    Crystal Palace 2010
    Portsmouth 2010

http://thisispop.wordpress.com/2010/01/19/football-clubs-in-administration-maps-and-stats/

• Advertisement
Advertisement