Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courier payment for return item

Options
  • 03-02-2011 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

I'm having an issue with a UK vendor that I purchased an item from over the internet.

Basically, I am returning the item and their website returns policy states -

"Returning Goods
    Please contact us BEFORE doing anything. Due to the fragile nature of the majority of our goods, we use our own distribution network for deliveries and returns. Do not send anything back to us on your own accord; we arrange the pickup of all our goods by our own distribution network."

The company in question are telling me that because I am not in UK I have to pay for the item to be returned, even though there is nothing on their website as regards buyers outside the UK having to pay for a return delivery. Where do I stand on this? Thanks.

K

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

if you return because the item is faulty or damaged etc then it is up to the seller to pay postage courier etc but if a change of mind or return during the cooling off period then the customer can be liable for return costs and a restocking fee in some cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

foggy_lad wrote: »
    if you return because the item is faulty or damaged etc then it is up to the seller to pay postage courier etc but if a change of mind or return during the cooling off period then the customer can be liable for return costs and a restocking fee in some cases.

I'd agree to some extent foggy_lad

However, I just got off the phone with the European Consumer Centre who advised that under the Distance Sales Regulations, if a consumer decides to return the item within the 7 day cooling off period then he/she is entitled to a full refund and should not incur and restocking fees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

A restocking fee is separate to the return cost. There should be no re-stock fee.

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/FAQs/Online-shopping/6_The_cooling-off_period.html
    Q21. Do I have to pay for returning the product if I change my mind and cancel via the “cooling-off” period?

Yes. Normally you will have to pay the cost of returning the product. However, no restocking fees or administration costs can be deducted from the amount being refunded to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

kkelly77 wrote: »
    I'd agree to some extent foggy_lad

However, I just got off the phone with the European Consumer Centre who advised that under the Distance Sales Regulations, if a consumer decides to return the item within the 7 day cooling off period then he/she is entitled to a full refund and should not incur and restocking fees.

yep - full refund, but its for you to return the goods at your expense.

The sender is probably doing you a favour, as once they collect the goods, its their responsibility. Whereas if you send the goods back via an post or other means, it must arrive in perfect condition in order to get the refund.

As for cost of the return, as others have said, its a cost you have to pay unless it is faulty.

Advertisement