Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Roy Keane to Sheffield Wednesday?

• 03-02-2011 4:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭

Odds falling dramatically on Roy to become the new Wednesday boss. Never thought he's get another crack at the whip so soon, tbh. He seems like a busted flush to me. Thoughts?

Blah blah traitor blah blah Saipan blah blah Haaland blah blah thug etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,431 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

O here we ****ing go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Gary Megson was favourite earlier on,I reckon these stories of odds dramatically falling on such and such becoming next manager are generated by the bookies themselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hope it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Would be surprised anyone would give him a job given his managerial history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

I hope he gets it and succeeds. Depends what the expectations of the club are. He done a decent job at Sunderland. Struggled at Ipswich but didn't help himself there by promising playoffs / prem lge. I still think he has it in him to become a good manager. He's still young for a manager. Provided he keeps learning from his mistakes and accepts his shortcomings and works on improving them then I reckon he will be back in top flight football on merit in the next 4/5 yrs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

kraggy wrote: »
    Would be surprised anyone would give him a job given his managerial history.

In fairness he did take the Sunderland team from second bottom of the championship to getting automatic promotion to the EPL. He never got them relegated either and brought Ipswich to a carling cup semi final. Although i would say that his record in the Transfer Record is very poor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Not sure what to think about this tbh. Irvine had to go imho anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

I think he took on too much too soon. Everyother prem manager has served their time. He got there way to quick and was never going to do better then that first season and i dont think he had the experience to handle the budget he got.

As said earlier surprised to see him back so quick from a club perspective and his own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

You'd miss his press conferences all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

Gillington wrote: »
    Gary Megson was favourite earlier on,I reckon these stories of odds dramatically falling on such and such becoming next manager are generated by the bookies themselves

It actually takes very little to move those markets. A couple of hundred quid on something would make the odds tumble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Where are you seeing these odds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think he needs to find a good number 2, somebody with a better eye for transfers. As a man manager though, he seems to get the best out of his teams by in large.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,416 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Odds falling dramatically on Roy to become the new Wednesday boss. Never thought he's get another crack at the whip so soon, tbh. He seems like a busted flush to me. Thoughts?

Blah blah traitor blah blah Saipan blah blah Haaland blah blah thug etc.

That's an interesting conclusion to make! Based on his work thus far I'd say he's solidly average as far as available Football League managers in England go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Some club will always be desperate enough to take a gamble on Keane because of his history in the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

If Taylor had agreed to come along to him he would still be at Ipswich i think, he really does need an experienced and proven number two to help advise him in his early management career

he has had some success and some failure as a manager thus far, he is far from the finished article, he is a decent manager right now. I think a move to a League 1 club, without huge expectation could be the making of him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Hope it happens.

Why? Why do you hate Wednesday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

And so his slide down the divisions continues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

dsmythy wrote: »
    And so his slide down the divisions continues.

Has he tried Bohs yet? Or is that too high a level for him!? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭MickShamrock

Has he tried Bohs yet? Or is that too high a level for him!? :D

He should just return to where it all started...Cobh Ramblers! And work his way up as manager, just like he did as a player! :pac:

Why? Why do you hate Wednesday?

I don't rate Keane as a manager and this will be another opportunity to prove me right/wrong. Wednesday will either benefit from the egg on my face or be collateral damage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Too risky for him I think. They're only 5 points above relegation, a few bad results and it could be a disaster for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Rob113

Too risky for him I think. They're only 5 points above relegation, a few bad results and it could be a disaster for him.

I think it would be a good move for him. Him coming in should give the players enough of a morale boost to put together a few results and keep themselves up. Look at the effect Daglish has had on lpool. A couple of seasons scrapping for mid table security in lg1 is just what he needs tbh. He needs to serve his time in the lower leagues and work his way back up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

As long as he stays away from crap United,Sunderland,Ipswich and Ireland players in the transfer market he'll be okay

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,314 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I think it would be more managerial experience before he gets his hands on United!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I don't rate Keane as a manager and this will be another opportunity to prove me right/wrong. Wednesday will either benefit from the egg on my face or be collateral damage.
    Go on then break down why you don't rate him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

Great player but not sure about his managment, he would be better taking a break for a while until the summer before rushing back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I'd like to see it happen.

As a Sunderland fan, I'll always be grateful for what Keane has done for my club. He took a club destined to go the way of a club like Sheffield Wednesday and dragged it by the scruff of it's neck to promotion. He transformed the whole dynamic of the club from top to bottom, even simple things like players always having to dress professionally (suit and tie) on matchdays were a big difference in comparison to what we had become before he joined. He did spend a lot of money in the Premier League, but in fairness if you don't spend money you don't last long up there and although his transfer record was hit and miss, he made some good signings (Gordon, Jones, Malbranque, Richardson, Cisse). I dare say the likes of Cisse would have laughed off Sunderland unless Keane was there.

He does have his flaws (pinning a first team player who questioned his tactics up against a wall and telling him ''to be the first to take me on'', slapping Dean Whitehead amongst others) but he was brought up in the Brian Clough school of management which rightly or wrongly is long gone at this stage and modern players won't react to that style anymore.

Personally, I think he'd go to any club, have a great impact for six months and then start to fade as players become tired of his style and perfectionist personality.

As someone has alluded to, he'd be better served with a more experienced number 2, but Keane wouldn't have anyone other than a yes man as his number 2 as that's just the man he is.

To some it all up, I can't see him being successful at any one club over a sustained period of time, especially not at any Premier League or Championship club as the modern player at that level won't respond to his Brian Clough management for long, however, I wish him the best of luck in the future as it's impossible not to have respect for someone who took us from the bottom of the Championship to this:

All the best, Roy!

^^^Fair play Paully.

Just out of interest, would you say Keane was more of a hit or miss with Sunderland fans in general, or would most people look at the way he left the club?

^^^Fair play Paully.

Just out of interest, would you say Keane was more of a hit or miss with Sunderland fans in general, or would most people look at the way he left the club?

Definitely more of a hit mate.

Every Sunderland fan is grateful for what he did for the club and although some are still bitter about the way he walked out, more are appreciative that he knew he had taken the club as far as he could and left without staying around waiting to be sacked so he would be payed off, whilst also giving us plenty of time to turn the season around.

The thing a few Sunderland fans are annoyed with is the large amount of average players (Healy, Murphy etc) who were given long and lucrative contracts and who because of this have proved very, very difficult to shift out of the club, but apart from that his time at Sunderland is looked upon very favourably by the fans.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    Definitely more of a hit mate.

Every Sunderland fan is grateful for what he did for the club and although some are still bitter about the way he walked out, more are appreciative that he knew he had taken the club as far as he could and left without staying around waiting to be sacked so he would be payed off, whilst also giving us plenty of time to turn the season around.

The thing a few Sunderland fans are annoyed with is the large amount of average players (Healy, Murphy etc) who were given long and lucrative contracts and who because of this have proved very, very difficult to shift out of the club, but apart from that his time at Sunderland is looked upon very favourably by the fans.

That's good to hear. We were over for weekend in Newcastle and Sunderland happened to play Bolton in game they lost 4-1 which proved to be Keane last game and I remember the fans at time were not happy with team, so was best for him to leave when he did.

On seperate note SOL is lovely stadium and had good bit criac with fans after.

That's good to hear. We were over for weekend in Newcastle and Sunderland happened to play Bolton in game they lost 4-1 which proved to be Keane last game and I remember the fans at time were not happy with team, so was best for him to leave when he did.

On seperate note SOL is lovely stadium and had good bit criac with fans after.

Aye, things had gone fairly sour at that stage mate but luckily things turned out alright in the end and we've been progressing ever since :)

Cheers mate, yeah we're always decent craic us Sunderland fans ;)

eagle eye wrote: »
    Go on then break down why you don't rate him.

Ugh, do I have to? It's been said a thousand tines before by more than just me so maybe hit the search function instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

In fairness he did take the Sunderland team from second bottom of the championship to getting automatic promotion to the EPL. He never got them relegated either and brought Ipswich to a carling cup semi final. Although i would say that his record in the Transfer Record is very poor.

Bottom? In fairness he took over a few weeks into the season. The way some people hype it yid think they were bottom at Christmas and managed to win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,684 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

n305377.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Bottom? In fairness he took over a few weeks into the season. The way some people hype it yid think they were bottom at Christmas and managed to win!

I saw them the last game before Keane took over that season, at Roots Hall, and they were absolutely pathetic. Southend United crushed them and whilst it was still early days I think a lot of the credit for the turnaround that season has to go to Keane.

• Advertisement

They lost their first six league games (and had been beaten in the League Cup). They were an absolute shambles when he took them over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

oh Christ, i don't think i could handle Sheffield Wednesday being called 'Roy Keane's Wednesday'.

but i think he's a solid Championship/Football League manager, so he'd be an ok appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    They lost their first six league games (and had been beaten in the League Cup). They were an absolute shambles when he took them over.

And after he got a massive kitty to play with. Obviously not to spend in August but cmon, plenty of teams have recovered from a chronic Autumn and Winter, Spurs for example. Even Liverpool are half on the way.

And after he got a massive kitty to play with. Obviously not to spend in August but cmon, plenty of teams have recovered from a chronic Autumn and Winter, Spurs for example. Even Liverpool are half on the way.

And when it happens a change of coach and bringing in a manager who can do a good job is a huge part of why!!

Keane did an exceptional job that year. A decent job the following year. Was struggling the third year, and underachieved for two seasons with Ipswich. Overall he's done okay relative to the swirling mass of 100+ guys who get offered Football League positions.

I don't know why you want to take his initial work with Sunderland away from him. You have more than enough Ipswich material to work with if you wish to denigrate his managerial abilities.

I think every Roy Keane thread should just be locked from now on.

As we always go back to same things and people seem to find it hard to forgive even though he and Mick have moved on, people hear cant.

• Advertisement

Rob113 wrote: »
    I think it would be a good move for him. Him coming in should give the players enough of a morale boost to put together a few results and keep themselves up. Look at the effect Daglish has had on lpool. A couple of seasons scrapping for mid table security in lg1 is just what he needs tbh. He needs to serve his time in the lower leagues and work his way back up.

You can't even compare the two. The problem with Wednesday is scrapping around in League 1 is not their aim, they want promotion and that's why they sacked their manager. Keane will be under pressure to reach the play-offs if he takes over and with no money to spend I wouldn't trust him at all and Keane himself should know his limitations at this stage.

i'm all for it

the club has been going nowhere fast for the past 2-3 years, might give us a shot in the arm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

I always love to see Roy Keane managing a club (besides united, in case he ****s it up).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Gary Megson is the new manager.

He didn't have a massive kitty to play with in the Championship at all.

He made some very astute signings, both permanently (Yorke, Edwards, Connolly, Wallace etc) and on loan (Evans, Simpson, Nyatanga etc). He spent about £5.5m altogether that season.

To put that into perspective, WBA spent over £8m in the Championship the following season, as did Sheffield United. Charlton spent over £7m.

He spent a lot of money in the Premier League, but I'd argue that he had earned the right to do that with his excellent transfer business in the Championship, and there's not many teams these days that survive up there without spending money.

By all means have a go at his Premier League management with Sunderland if you feel that's necessary, but there's absolutely no basis to criticising his achievement in getting us promoted from the Championship.

I suspect you don't really know how much of a bad way Sunderland were in before Quinn, Drumaville and Keane got involved.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Gary Megson is the new manager.

ah ffs

Keane didn't get a massive kitty, but players had already been bought before he joined. He took over an very good team which a lot of people forget.

Keane didn't get a massive kitty, but players had already been bought before he joined. He took over an very good team which a lot of people forget.

A very good team? Give me a break mate. I watched that ''very good team'' get relegated with a then low record of 15 points the previous season in the Premier League.

The players who had been bought (most of them were free transfers) before Keane came where Kenny Cunningham, Arnau Reira who played 50 minutes for the club, William Mocquet who played even less. Two decent players were signed, Darren Ward who was the goalkeeper that season and Tobias Hysen, a very good winger. So, that makes two players who were already bought before he joined that were anyway decent at all.

The first team under Keane was,
    Ward

Simpson Evans Nosworthy Collins

Hysen Yorke Whitehead Wallace

Connolly Murphy

So that makes a total of two players who were already bought before he took over, and 4 (including the two that Quinn signed) that were already at the club.

It was hardly a ''very good team'' that he took over mate, considering 7 of the starting team were brought in by Keane himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Megson was supposed to be on talksport yesterday but the miserable bollix wouldnt wait on the phone, it was a very long wait in fairness, 60 seconds :rolleyes: and he put the phone down, the lads went through him for a shortcut for the rest of the show. "Sven can wait, steven gerrard can wait, *insert other famous name here* can wait but gary megson? , far too important to wait" lol.

daithijjj wrote: »
    Megson was supposed to be on talksport yesterday but the miserable bollix wouldnt wait on the phone, it was a very long wait in fairness, 60 seconds :rolleyes: and he put the phone down, the lads went through him for a shortcut for the rest of the show. "Sven can wait, steven gerrard can wait, *insert other famous name here* can wait but gary megson? , far too important to wait" lol.

I don't really like Megson and there has to be a good reason why he doesn't last long at clubs (ie, he's not very good and the same could be said of his playing career).

I can't seem him lasting long there, he'll miss out on promotion this season and be floating around mid-table next season when he'll be sacked in November/December.

• Advertisement
Advertisement