Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stormy Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Canvasser wrote: »
    All Crowe's loose posters are being picked up by volunteers as we speak i'm informed. I say the work shy labour crowd will leave theirs lying around the place for weeks, similar to how they were slow taking down posters after the locals. lazy feckers.

Hmmm, with a username like that and coming into a thread on the storm to slag off Labour, I'm guessing you're a party hack for Fianna Failure... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Anyone know when there giving the windy to die down?

And anyone know what the M6 is like for crosswinds,I can feel the car on a almost windy-ish day,Not sure if i wanna find out today!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

M6 is ok, just drove up to Dublin this morning. It is windy but just stay around 120 and you're careful when passing cars you should be ok. When you go through Athlone you'll see the wooden screens protecting houses from motorway noise have blown down or cracked in many places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Coast road open again both ways and without problems:)

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

i hear those big posters that are flying around the place are costing the td,s 7e each to get printed. it was said on tv3 news last night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

swe_fi wrote: »
    M6 is ok, just drove up to Dublin this morning. It is windy but just stay around 120 and you're careful when passing cars you should be ok. When you go through Athlone you'll see the wooden screens protecting houses from motorway noise have blown down or cracked in many places.

Cheers, will be heading up later on this evening so good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Zzippy wrote: »
    Hmmm, with a username like that and coming into a thread on the storm to slag off Labour, I'm guessing you're a party hack for Fianna Failure... :rolleyes:

More likely that he's a Fine Gael supporter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Canvasser wrote: »
    All Crowe's loose posters are being picked up by volunteers as we speak i'm informed. I say the work shy labour crowd will leave theirs lying around the place for weeks, similar to how they were slow taking down posters after the locals. lazy feckers.

Can I just call you on this as well, Canvasser. Your post history is all election-related, and it's all anti-Blueshirt, anti-Commie, anti-workshy, anti-anything-that's-not-Fianna-Fail.

I have a fair idea what your agend is, but your post had nothing to do with the storms, only begrudgery at other political parties and viewpoints.

You're doing Fianna Fail no favours with that attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Ruire

markesmith wrote: »
    Can I just call you on this as well, Canvasser. Your post history is all election-related, and it's all anti-Blueshirt, anti-Commie, anti-workshy, anti-anything-that's-not-Fianna-Fail..
    Because obviously being Fascist, Communist (in the worst sense, like nationalising I-dunno-maybe banks and such), and/or utterly lazy are things unknown to Fianna Fáil... ;)

Anywho, as regards the storm, walking around Westside and Salthill has been nigh-on impossible all-day. I could see the cars bobbing from side-to-side down Rahoon Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭barryd09

ANY chance Galway Bay FM will be blown away?Or at least have the 1950's cobwebs blown off it?Oh its not that windy?Damn!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 mybabydoll

It has being crazy down the Prom looking out my appartment window and it looks fab but wouldn't dare walk outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

mybabydoll wrote: »
    It has being crazy down the Prom looking out my appartment window and it looks fab but wouldn't dare walk outside.

Yeah, it looks fantastic, but I wouldn't take a currach out in it! Was nearly blown into Arabica at the Aquarium this morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

It's quietened down now. Stupid crazy weather keeping me in the house.

Posted on the Galway Advertiser Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Posted on the Galway Advertiser Facebook page.

Oh FFS.
    Will future vids of this man include ice walking, train dodging and ballet on the Cliffs of Moher??

Great capture of the storm itself though, but I have no time for those who could endange the health of others if they need rescuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Did he make it out alive?

My mates and I would do the same thing during the first big storm of the year when we were young lads. It's a rush. Wouldn't have the balls to do it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

I think I have seen that fella down in Blackrock before.

If it is the same guy, on the days I've seen before he took a long time to jump in of the pier and does not strike me as either a strong swimmer or an athlete.
    To me he comes across as somebody trying to conquer a fear of heights.

Regardless if he is or not, it is a totally stupid idea to go swimming in those conditions. If the smallest of things went wrong for him while there, the emergency services would need to be called out, putting the lives of many people in danger.

What an idiot.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

To me he comes across as somebody trying to conquer a fear of heights.

It does kind of look like that, but he was holding on because of the wind, I'd imagine, so that he didn't get blown in before he had gauged the risk or whatever, before he was ready to go in. I was out in it on Thursday and I really did need to brace myself for the strong gusts...it was crazy!

In any case, the guy is nuts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

stupidity

It does kind of look like that, but he was holding on because of the wind, I'd imagine, so that he didn't get blown in before he had gauged the risk or whatever, before he was ready to go in. I was out in it on Thursday and I really did need to brace myself for the strong gusts...it was crazy!

In any case, the guy is nuts.

Just to clarify my previous post.

Assuming its the same person that I'am thinking of.
    My point was that even on fine days with a calm sea state this fella takes an age to jump of the pier. This is what leads me to believe: that he is doing this to face his fears and not due to the fact that he is an extreme sportsman!.

Stepping out of your comfort zone is admirable, but considering this guy's general demeanour and physical shape, its IMO that the risk he is taking entering the water by jumping of the pier (in these extreme conditions), far exceeds his ability to cope with the dangers involved.

The likelihood that others (the emergency services), would have to enter the water in such terrible condition because of his guy's actions is considerable. And so his actions are both reckless and thoughtless.

I swim at Blackrock daily. And some of the most enjoyable swims, are on those days with a bit of a swell/chop in the water.
    However I don't go in swimming, if I feel that the sea state is such that there is a substantial chance that I may not be able to deal with the danger, and would then require somebody else to put their own life in danger saving mine, because of my own stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Christ, there is a very small minority of Galway people who are a special kind of stupid when it comes to storms and diving/windsurfing, etc. You'd think that being so close to the sea, we'd know how much damage it can do. People need to understand that even if you're a strong swimmer, the ocean is always going to be stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Get over yerselves FFS.

It was an on-shore wind, he was only going to get blown into the beach. People swim in bigger waves every day at surfy beaches. I volunteer with more than one emergency service too, so don't give me the 'but he's endangering the lives of others...' crap either

Granted, its not the smartest thing to do, but I see pedestrians do more stupid things on a daily basis like walking out infront of cars etc.

Now, if he'd of jumped in on the west-end of the tower, he'd have been smashed up against the tower, but he didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Yeah. Getting his noggin smacked on a rock by a wave would do him no harm and leave him in a grand state to splish to the ladder.:rolleyes:

you're right though about pedestrians and drivers doing gloriously worse s*it than this though, we just didn't get a vid up of that to comment on today.

For the record, I personally was speaking less about a pro going in to rescue him, and more about an I'll equipped (drunk, who knows?) mate or passer by jumping in and being the hero, then drowning. This I KNOW happens. In less stormy conditions than this too. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Kind of storm related, picture of car in flames whilst parked in a flooded Toft Park.
    180714_10150098642141941_323864916940_6037502_759125_n.jpg

Kind of storm related, picture of car in flames whilst parked in a flooded Toft Park.

The irony!! (I know, I know... electrical and all, but still very funny)

Imagine explaining that to the insurance? Flood damage & Fire!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Calling geekychick :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056169394

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Get over yerselves FFS.

It was an on-shore wind, he was only going to get blown into the beach. People swim in bigger waves every day at surfy beaches. I volunteer with more than one emergency service too, so don't give me the 'but he's endangering the lives of others...' crap either

Granted, its not the smartest thing to do, but I see pedestrians do more stupid things on a daily basis like walking out infront of cars etc.

Now, if he'd of jumped in on the west-end of the tower, he'd have been smashed up against the tower, but he didn't

Very surprising response. A couple of baffling points to be honest.

Firstly it wasn't a true on-shore wind.
    The wind was coming from the south west. A true on-shore wind in relation to this particular beach would need to come from the south, i.e. perpendicular to the coast line.

Your point about the on-shore wind is irrelevant anyhow, as the nice sand beach you claim he would get blown on to is a relate small target area surrounded on each side by a rows of very large boulders.
    Made even harder to reach, given the cross wind pointed out above.

More surprising is your annoyance about peoples concern for the emergency services well being.

99% of the time when emergency services are called out to a incident, that incident is an emergency. And danger is very much a feature of emergencies, so it is obvious to follow on that the lives the emergency services will be put at risk in these operations.
    So I find when you said:
    I volunteer with more than one emergency service too, so don't give me the 'but he's endangering the lives of others...' crap either
    a bit confusing, can you elaborate your point?
    Are you saying that those weather conditions were optimal for a rescue operation?

Also which specific services do you volunteer for?

Would you of been involved in the actual rescue of this guy, if the ES were called out?

What form of operation would rescue have taking on?
    You have more or less said the rescue operation would be risk free, or at least not a big deal.
    Given the extreme weather condition's I'am interested to hear how this would occur.

Very surprising response. A couple of baffling points to be honest.

Firstly it wasn't a true on-shore wind.
    The wind was coming from the south west. A true on-shore wind in relation to this particular beach would need to come from the south, i.e. perpendicular to the coast line.

Your point about the on-shore wind is irrelevant anyhow, as the nice sand beach you claim he would get blown on to is a relate small target area surrounded on each side by a rows of very large boulders.
    Made even harder to reach, given the cross wind pointed out above.

More surprising is your annoyance about peoples concern for the emergency services well being.

99% of the time when emergency services are called out to a incident, that incident is an emergency. And danger is very much a feature of emergencies, so it is obvious to follow on that the lives the emergency services will be put at risk in these operations.
    So I find when you said:
    I volunteer with more than one emergency service too, so don't give me the 'but he's endangering the lives of others...' crap either
    a bit confusing, can you elaborate your point?
    Are you saying that those weather conditions were optimal for a rescue operation?

Also which specific services do you volunteer for?

Would you of been involved in the actual rescue of this guy, if the ES were called out?

What form of operation would rescue have taking on?
    You have more or less said the rescue operation would be risk free, or at least not a big deal.
    Given the extreme weather condition's I'am interested to hear how this would occur.

A SW wind would have blown the person in question onto the beach, therefore I stand by my point. A S wind, which you suggested would be ideal, would infact blow the person onto the rocks, causing the fella potential damage

It is not my interest to blabble to strangers on an Internet forum where I volunteer.

The best 'emergency service' here would be a lifeguard. All it would take is a strong swimmer to swim out... what... 35 metres? and haul his ass back in.

As I stated earlier, the guy is hardly genius-of-the-year, but hardly darwin either. The water was quite sheltered to the E of the tower, i've often swam in a lot worse for fun. By the logic in the above few posts, surfers etc. are idiots too, considering they do be out in lot worse water conditions than that 'lumpy' sea

[/QUOTE]
    A SW wind would have blown the person in question onto the beach, therefore I stand by my point. A S wind, which you suggested would be ideal, would infact blow the person onto the rocks, causing the fella potential damage

You're still missing the point that the direction of the wind, weather on-shore or not, isn't the only force acting on a body in the water at blackrock.
    I disagree that even if the wind was blowing truly onshore towards the beach, the swimmer would find himself transported towards the beach should he get into difficulties.
    You have not factored in whether the tide was rising or falling, and at which point of the cycle the tide was at?.
    Also what about under currents?. Even today,on a calm day there was a strong tow in the water at blackrock.

It is not my interest to blabble to strangers on an Internet forum where I volunteer.

In fairness it was yourself that mentioned your involvement with the rescue services, and you did so, in what I read as, a condescending tone.

That sentence is belittling the previous posts, prior to yours.

Now that's fair enough if you are an authority on emergency rescue services/operations and would be actually involved in a rescue of this hypothetical type.
    But if your just a regular joe soap like most of us on here, then please don't ridicule other posters.

Forgive my probing, but seeing as you brought up your involvement, can you tell us if you would of been called upon to take to the water should an emergency of arose on the day in question.

The best 'emergency service' here would be a lifeguard. All it would take is a strong swimmer to swim out... what... 35 metres? and haul his ass back in.

And this in your opinion would of been relatively risk free?

As I stated earlier, the guy is hardly genius-of-the-year, but hardly darwin either. The water was quite sheltered to the E of the tower, i've often swam in a lot worse for fun. By the logic in the above few posts, surfers etc. are idiots too, considering they do be out in lot worse water conditions than that 'lumpy' sea

The water surrounding the pier was not sheltered. If you are aware of how the base of the pier is constructed you would know why the water there is not sheltered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭aido179

Keen, Im not the biggest fan of johncleary but jesus drop it! Your fighting the tide...he is quite right.

now to be on topic: Did anybody see the carnage in the docks? its a relatively sheltered area but there were a number of boats (badly tied tbh) wreaking havoc!
    Also I freaking love the wind like that. So much energy!

Advertisement