Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon 450d & Speedlight 430ex combo.

• 03-02-2011 4:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I have only just started using the ext. flash in a serious manner and have hit a snag. I need to use the AV setting to get the desired DOF in an indoor situation.
    On setting the apeture I assumed the flash would take control of the speed and or report any adjustments. This does not appear to be happening and even changing the ISO to a higher reading does not alter the indicated speed. With the flash attached to the camera I attempted to reset all the camera and flash settings but when I go into built-in flash it tells me it cant do it because the ext flash is connected and when I go into the ext. flash it tells me I cant do it because the ext. flash is not connected. Have I got a faulty flash or camera or just me, help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

woodchip wrote: »
    I have only just started using the ext. flash in a serious manner and have hit a snag. I need to use the AV setting to get the desired DOF in an indoor situation.
    On setting the apeture I assumed the flash would take control of the speed and or report any adjustments. This does not appear to be happening and even changing the ISO to a higher reading does not alter the indicated speed. With the flash attached to the camera I attempted to reset all the camera and flash settings but when I go into built-in flash it tells me it cant do it because the ext flash is connected and when I go into the ext. flash it tells me I cant do it because the ext. flash is not connected. Have I got a faulty flash or camera or just me, help appreciated.

Hiya, I always put the camera in manual mode when using external flash and put the flash in TTL mode. Give it a whirl and see if it solves your problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

It only really works properly in Manual, or SP, So if you know what Apperature you need, then decide on your shutter speed so long as its under 1/200th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 woodchip

Thanks a million guys I think you have solved the problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

With camera in manual mode try shutter at 1/160 and aperture at f5.6,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

And to allow more ambient exposure, just drop the shutter speed but not too low or you'll get ghosting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

kelly1 wrote: »
    Hiya, I always put the camera in manual mode when using external flash and put the flash in TTL mode. Give it a whirl and see if it solves your problems.

Same here. I used to have a 450D and 430EX (now a 40D and 580EXII). It depends on the constraints indoors as well. I usually use some where between 1/60 and 1/80 and try to keep ISO as low as I can (but it usually ends up somewhere around 320-500). Leave the flash on ETTL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 woodchip

Appreciate all your imputes guys , thank you

Advertisement