Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

connecting tv and sky

• 03-02-2011 4:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hello,
    I have run 7 coax cables from my sky dish to my utility room
    I have then run coax cables from my utility room to the rest of the rooms in my house.

Can anyone suggest a rack/ patch panel/amplifier setup that I can put in place in the utility room please?
    I have also run cat6 cables to every room in the house.

Thanks in advance,
    Eddie

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Randyleprechaun

You'd need to explain exactly what you want your setup to do before anyone will be able to recommend anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭murphyep

Initially, I just want to get my sky plus setup in one room..but I would like to be able expand it to other room after and possibly be able to stream movies from NAS box to other rooms using the cat 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

All you need to do with the co-ax cables is to join the required cables as needed. For one sky plus box, pick 2 cables from the dish and joint them to the 2 cables going to the one room you require. Tape or connectors will suffice for jointing. As more boxes are required, do the same thing again.

I'm not sure how many cat6 cables you have, but a small patch panel may be best for termination. Is that all you will want the cat6 cables for down the line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

what set up have you at the dish? as in how many direct feeds have you to independent LNBs you can get an octo LNB

http://www.satellite.ie/acatalog/Octo__Eight_output_LNB_for_sky_mini_dish.html

they you could couple the type F connectors and have a direct feed to each room, or are you looking for something that will involve one sky plus box and IR blasters allowing you to share one subscription around the house so that you have share sky sports and movies, the cat6 cables can be handy for this, I think thorsman have a unit that they use in pubs, stops IR flooding. I think it was Phibsboro electric who sold it. there will be cheaper units for this now though, but possible still from thorsman

either way I think this is for the HE forum, it's great that you have all the cables in place, you will be able to do what ever you want. I alway like the coax and CAT6 cable load up options, you'll get better advice here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭murphyep

thanks for the replies folks!

The dish will be installed this saturday..I will be installeding
    an octo LNB on the dish

I will be installing a sky hd box in the living room initially
    another sky+ box in the bedroom which will be freeview.

I am looking for would like to have the sky box in one location
    and distribute everything from there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

If you want to use the living room as the centre point, then you will need 3 cables going for the utility to the living room (ideally you should have 5). 2 for the the dish and 1 to feed back around to the other points.

If you only have 2 cables going to the living room, then your only option will be to use the utility as your centre point and uses magic eyes for the remotes in the various rooms.

Advertisement