Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shooting ranges

Options
  • 03-02-2011 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭

just curious,are there any shooting ranges/schools in the Munster area.For someone that has very limited experience of shooting a rifle.I was asked by someone lately.I remember hearing of a range in Fermoy Co.Cork but not sure if someone with a basic hunting rifle would be allowed to use the facility.If there are,would instructors be available to instruct the new shooter.If there are I might also take advantage of the place and get some practice in.Hoping to hear from you all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Savage93

Ballyhoura in Co. limerick also

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

transit260 wrote: »
    ..........I remember hearing of a range in Fermoy Co.Cork but not sure if someone with a basic hunting rifle would be allowed to use the facility..............

Be sure to ring ahead and when on the phone tell them the caliber. Some ranges are limited by the caliber of rifle they can have on their range. For example it may only be certified to shoot .22lr rifles. If this is what you have grand. If you have a .243 make sure they know before traveling because if they cannot accomodate you it will be a journey for nothing.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

There's An Riocht in Castlemaine, Kerry aswell - think they can cater for most calibres

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

Bananaman wrote: »
    There's An Riocht in Castlemaine, Kerry aswell - think they can cater for most calibres

B'Man

Is anyone here a member, i never knew it was there until recently.

Has anyone heard that knocknagoshel are opening a rifle range, I was back there saturday seemed to be a lot of work going on

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭transit260

thanks guys,i'll look into that and see whats what.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

as far as I know you will have to join a range/club in order to shoot and not just turn up for practice.
    Balyhoura in limerick is 400 per year and 50 for insurance so you have to think about that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

Bananaman wrote: »

B'Man

membership used to be 300 euro per year, you can shoot center fire out to 300 yds and rimfire and centerfire pistols out to 50

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭transit260

erm just lost interest,theres a recession on in the south east im afraid.Thought i could pay for a days use,like green fees on a golf course like:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

4gun wrote: »
    membership used to be 300 euro per year, you can shoot center fire out to 300 yds and rimfire and centerfire pistols out to 50

Are you a member, i would love to join a range, but midlands is too far to drive, an riocht would be about an hour from me which wouldn't be too far.

Id say a fella could learn a lot from a range

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shanmoll308

Hey Guys
    Why not head up to An Riocht on the 2nd of April as the LRRAI boys are holding their first shoot of 2011. For a small fee on the day you can become a member of the LRRAI and you can take part any time they are holding a shoot there.

shanmoll308.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Are there any ranges (Limerick Region or within 100 Kms) that take absolute novices, with no experience of firearms. It would be for just to bring someone along and let them fire off a few rounds from firearms already on the range?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 hillbilly jack

The LRRAI shoot is on saturday 31st march in castlemaine, come before 9am for registration,
    All newcomers are welcome and will be partnered with experienced shooters who will look after them , its all good friendly competition, great crack and a good day out in general

• Registered Users Posts: 34 gunisfun

jap gt wrote: »
    Is anyone here a member, i never knew it was there until recently.

Has anyone heard that knocknagoshel are opening a rifle range, I was back there saturday seemed to be a lot of work going on

he is well he was the last time i asked him but i dono if he has ran into trouble or what

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Thread is a year old. Any posts before mrsoundie's are most likely answered already. Check the dates of the posts you respond to.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

mrsoundie wrote: »
    Are there any ranges (Limerick Region or within 100 Kms) that take absolute novices, with no experience of firearms. It would be for just to bring someone along and let them fire off a few rounds from firearms already on the range?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Knochnagoshel shooting grounds outside of Killarney take walk-ins for clay pigeon shooting and 50m prone, standing and benchrest rifle. Have a gander here http://www.knocknagoshelshootinggrounds.com/. 35euros for an hour all included. (clays, ammunition, guns, instructor).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭guns4fun

munster target shooting club/ used to be ballyhoura and now under new ownership based in Killfinnane co limerick..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

mrsoundie there's Fermoy Rifle Club, out at Ballydague Fermoy. It's 48 miles from city south and takes about and hr to drive it. Last 10 miles are a bit windy!

You'll find them here @ http://www.fermoyrifleclub.com/index.htm

contact James Murphy first before you go down there. I'm sure they'd like some notice of new people turning up.

LB6

Advertisement