Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Builders forecast housing shortage for Galway!

Options
  • 03-02-2011 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭

In a surprising story in this weeks Connacht Tribune

The Construction Industry Federation claims there are roughly only 1000 houses vacant or under construction in Galway. And so forecast a chronic housing shortage in the near future(up to 2016) for Galway.

Whereas, last August The National Institute for Regional and Spatial Awareness (NIRSA) estimated oversupply of roughly 7000 homes in County Galway.

I'am amazed at how the counting of something as physically large as houses, can result in two vastly different numbers.

Obviously the CIF have their only agenda, but the massive difference in the claims of either body as to the amount of vacant housing stock, does pose the question of whether or not Ireland is as f*cked economically as we've been lead to believe.

The property bubble has always been touted as a major contributor to the collapse of the Irish banking system.

And I'am guessing that a huge over supply of property nationwide and the associated long time it takes to sell these properties, would be viewed negatively by international financial markets.

So with all the above in mind, do you think that there is a chance that Ireland's domestic economy is not in as bad shape as we are lead to believe.

Is it further proof of the unnecessary shafting the IMF bailout plan will mean for us all?.

P.S. I don't have a house to sell.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I read a figure of 25,000 houses nationally, which was quoted as being "one year's supply".

Since we have net migration and therefore decreasing demand, that would require at least 25,000 houses to be fall down spontaneously in the next year.

Regardless of how many empty houses there might or might not be, we're still skint.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

as someone who lives in there, what galway needs is new roads lots of new roads!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from after hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

Are 1 refering to galway city and the other county? Id say there is a huge oversupply of houses an hours drive from galway that no one will ever buy, and only a small oversupply in the actual city.

2 Houses near me in the city that have been an the market since just before the property crash sold recently. Yes the asking price had dropped severly since they originally went on sale but at least its something happening

• Registered Users Posts: 24,067 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

If they used Lego to build all of those ghost estates, they could have transferred a few to Galway, but they just don't think do they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

What is amazing is that these parasites are allowed to get press releases reported uncritically in any form of media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

I clearly remember the figure of 200,000 plus vacant houses been quoted by various national bodies.

I was involved in the construction industry, and at the time hearing that there was such a massive number of empty houses lead me to believe that there would be no construction employment in the long term.

Those reports obliviously also placed a huge stress on not just people who worked in the industry, but also anybody who bought in to the property market.

The market was definitely way over heated and over valued. But if its true, putting out figures that over estimated the vacant houses stock by a factor of 10, clearly had a negative effect on how the international markets viewed Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Builders claim they need to build more houses? Shocker!

If the CIF said the sky was blue, I wouldn't believe them. They talked up the market, priced it out of the reach of the normal person then for two whole years denied that prices were dropping. Even now they're full out it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

Obliviously the CIF have their own axe to grind.

But the difference in the figures: 1000 vs. 4000, come on both side must be falsifying data.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

The CIF!! lol!

Fianna Fail mouth piece if ever i saw them

• Advertisement

Have a look here www.ghostestates.com spooky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Well I nearly fell off my chair when I saw the title to this thread.

Is the Construction Federation having a laugh is it?

Now enough with messin', there's better places to be spending the few quid left then MORE VACANT HOUSES.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

when they say 'houses' do they mean Flats.

Advertisement