Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Think I have a Virus

• 03-02-2011 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hi folks, hope youse might be able to help me out

I think I have a virus on my laptop.

I'm not getting any error messages but while streaming video/radio on the net e.g. RTE, 4 ondemand or today fm the feed is stalling. Webpages are also very slow to load. Also the DVD player on the laptop is freezing and I've been having another problem or two e.g. yesterday eve it took over 5 mins to empty about 10 files the recycle bin.

So far I've run a full scan using McAfee and a full scan using Malwarebytes AntiMalware. I've also downloaded Avast just for the purpose of running a scan in case they might detect anything that the others don't but still no joy.

About 3 weeks ago before going on holidays I downloaded some music from isohunt I've used them once or twice before so wasn't too worried about virus but since coming back from holidays at the weekend I've noticed the problems.

Anyone got any suggestions for further action

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭MASTER...of the bra

Did you run your scans in safe mode with System restore turned off? Try one of the online virus scanners, here are two of them.....Trendmicro and Eset. (I think you can run these in safe mode with networking, not 100% sure if you can).

Defragment your drive if it's old.

Give CCleaner a go.

The recycle bin taking so long to empty might mean a prob with your hard drive (possibly) if the above steps don't help try this Seagate Diagnostic tool. It might be compatible with your drive.

If it's an old computer you might be better off just re-installing windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 studentgrant

Is your computer running slowly? Or what leads you to think your computer is infected?
    Try defragging the hard drive.
    otherwise
    Failing hard drives / or bad sectors can be a common cause for your computer to run slowly.
    Try running scan-disk on your hard drive tick the two boxes to attempt to repair bad sectors

Finn
    www.waterfordcomputers.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Garry17 wrote: »
    So far I've run a full scan using McAfee and a full scan using Malwarebytes AntiMalware. I've also downloaded Avast just for the purpose of running a scan in case they might detect anything that the others don't but still no joy.

Have you installed Avast on the PC as well as McAfee?

I know your computer is already running slowly but having two antivirus programs running at the same time will bring your PC to a crawl.

As with the above advice - run CCleaner available @ http://downloads.cnet.com

Normally Malwarebytes would show up something, but CCleaner will delete your temp internet files and clean up your registry so it's worth running imo

If that doesn't help much there are other programs available to you but I wouldn't recommend using them until you've fully established that it is a virus and not a hard drive issue

Advertisement