Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Symbian ^3 Firmware thread

Options
  • 03-02-2011 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭g0g

Anything great expected for N8 other than a better web browser? I'm not saying I don't like mine the way it is otherwise, but would love some new gadgets!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Nothing for my unbranded / unlocked N8 either.
    maybe a dumb question - isn't there a way to change the country code (as with N97) so it gets the standard EU country code (and possibly quicker updates)?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Click that "conversations" link again for a clarification.

C7, Unbranded: rolling out now, country by country.
    N8 and C6-01, Unbranded: rolling out from Monday 7. February, country by country

Branded phones will get the update a little bit after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Branded phones will get the update a little bit after.

That would indeed be a pleasant change. I'm not holding my breath on past experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭g0g

I'm seeing an N8 (am on Vodafone) update available there now but my battery's too low to do it!

• Advertisement

My N8 is completely unbranded and NOT simlocked (bought from VF though).
    Firmware 013.016 available (7.2Mb).
    Tried OTA update - downloaded, but failed on install. Said update not compatible with my phone. WTF :confused::confused::confused:
    maybe it doesn't like OTA....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

nothing on my sim free N8

• Registered Users Posts: 6,005 ✭✭✭kirving

No Update for Meteor Locked N8 :(

Update:
    Went home and connected my N8 to OVI Suite 3.0.0.290
    Found the firmware and updated it no problem.
    Interesting thing - when I checked OTA, it gave me a download of 7.2mb for the PR1.1 update. When I got it via OVI, it was 176Mb!!
    Installation was very quick.

Phone appears smoother and quicker. As far as I can tell (limited tests) there isn't anything new on the application side.
    Italia wrote: »
    My N8 is completely unbranded and NOT simlocked (bought from VF though).
    Firmware 013.016 available (7.2Mb).
    Tried OTA update - downloaded, but failed on install. Said update not compatible with my phone. WTF :confused::confused::confused:
    maybe it doesn't like OTA....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Phone appears smoother and quicker. As far as I can tell (limited tests) there isn't anything new on the application side.

No new apps. One thing you will notice, you can now call in portrait, YAY :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭jeremyr62

Updating through OVI gives you a complete firmware image whereas the OTA is just the changes, which is why it is much smaller. I'll be doing it through OVI just to be sure, if it ever arrives for O2 branded N8s.

Most of you probably know this already but a useful resource site for all things Nokia and Symbian is All About Symbian.

http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Tried downloading through Ovi Suite, but the download stopped shortly after starting with an error message, that the download couldn't be completed. Mine is an unbranded vodafone model.
    Among the updates were an Ovi Map update and a DAB radio app.
    Anyone beside Davy manage do update?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Tried downloading through Ovi Suite, but the download stopped shortly after starting with an error message, that the download couldn't be completed. Mine is an unbranded vodafone model.
    Among the updates were an Ovi Map update and a DAB radio app.
    Anyone beside Davy manage do update?
    i updated my phone ota,no problem,dab radio app can be downloaded
    from ovi store,had a look at ovi suite..no extra dl thru it.
    but when i tried to use ovi suite it said there was a update
    for ovi suite.did you update it?
    just update your phone ota,you wont miss out on anything.
    it is only a minor update after all

I updated Ovi Suite before I updated the phone, so I don't know if that makes a difference.
    Not so worried about this update but the more important ones going forward.
    Also, excuse my ignorance, but whats OTA?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭jeremyr62

OTA=over the air

If you have a functioning Ovi maps and Ovi store then I think OTA will be fine. However if you have done a hard reset at some point then critical bits of the QT libraries get deleted. Using Ovi suite to download the full firmware image MIGHT restore these. I can't confirm this as my N8 is back at fonemenders...

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. Maps and Ovi store work fine on the phone and I've never done hard reset, so hopefully future updates will go without a hitch.

my N8 just kicked the bucket, black screen with the menu key light on.

whats the best place in dublin to get it looked at?

Unscrew the 2 small screws on the end and pop the battery out. Wait 10-15 sec and then pop it back in. Should start as normal.
    There is a good tutorial on google on how to do this.

repairs: If you don't want to go this route, take it back to where you bought it. If you bought on Adverts/ ebay/ web, you might have a problem. You can try your provider (you will pay) or take it to fonemenders (I'd say this is the last resort.)
    One other way you can sort it out, is to contact Nokia support directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

that happened to mine too last month. It came back after about an hour. backed everything up immediately, hasn't happened since. hold the on button down for 20 seconds, i heard this can do something. i didn't do this, i didn't know about it at the time.

dr ro wrote: »
    hold the on button down for 20 seconds, i heard this can do something. i didn't do this, i didn't know about it at the time.
    this is what i done and it sorted it out, thanks for the heads up.

next problem, ovi suite is still saying there is no update availible for my unbranded N8

Unscrew the 2 small screws on the end and pop the battery out. Wait 10-15 sec and then pop it back in. Should start as normal.
    There is a good tutorial on google on how to do this.

repairs: If you don't want to go this route, take it back to where you bought it. If you bought on Adverts/ ebay/ web, you might have a problem. You can try your provider (you will pay) or take it to fonemenders (I'd say this is the last resort.)
    One other way you can sort it out, is to contact Nokia support directly.

Twaddle. Just bring it in to any official Nokia repair center.

Why twaddle?

If you take it to Nokia (or any other place) and you have no proof of purchase, you will pay.
    If, and its not a guarantee, Nokia decides that because the phone is new on the market they will do it for free - fair play. But that is entirely at their own discretion. No proof = pay. Works like that everywhere.

I've had exactly the same thing - my Intel quad core processor packed in (3yr warranty as standard). I bought it at a bargain price from a shop in London that was going bust, just under 2 yrs ago.
    I can't find the receipt (its somewhere in my files) so I called Intel directly. They offer a warranty service, so I gave them serial number and explained everything nicely....
    Guess what? Very very polite but...No proof, hard luck. Call us back when you have proof of purchase.
    long_b wrote: »
    Twaddle. Just bring it in to any official Nokia repair center.

Why twaddle?

If you take it to Nokia (or any other place) and you have no proof of purchase, you will pay.
    If, and its not a guarantee, Nokia decides that because the phone is new on the market they will do it for free - fair play. But that is entirely at their own discretion. No proof = pay. Works like that everywhere.

I've had exactly the same thing - my Intel quad core processor packed in (3yr warranty as standard). I bought it at a bargain price from a shop in London that was going bust, just under 2 yrs ago.
    I can't find the receipt (its somewhere in my files) so I called Intel directly. They offer a warranty service, so I gave them serial number and explained everything nicely....
    Guess what? Very very polite but...No proof, hard luck. Call us back when you have proof of purchase.

Nokia do warranty by IMEI, no proof of purchase necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

how do you know if the n8 is branded. i got mine the first day it went on sale.
    i'm with vodafone

• Advertisement

cena wrote: »
    how do you know if the n8 is branded.
    It's branded if there is network operator specific logos on the phone, boot screen etc..
    Only an issue if they have also put an operator specific version of the software on.

Advertisement