Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Symbian ^3 Firmware thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

anyone on meteor got pr 1.1 yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

dr ro wrote: »
    anyone on meteor got pr 1.1 yet.

On e-mobile (same thing), nothing so far :(

The update is there now through the software update function (not device update which is strange), but its telling me to connect to the computer to update. Won't be till this evening for that i'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Ye they could do it. It can be done easy enough once you know how. I didnt bother waiting for 1.1 to be released for my model, just flashed it myself.

• Advertisement

You will have to flash it each time an update is released, its not changing the product code of the handset. Its not something I would suggest to do if your not confident and familiar with the method. You can end up with a paperweight.

Ye seems to be the only release so far. The generic are still on V12.3

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

On eMobile, but with an unbranded, unlocked N8. Got the update notification last night.

OTA update wasn't availlable. Instead, I got a message to "Install using PC".

Faster screen rotation,
    Fixes bug where MMS messages can't be manipulated from outbox
    Portrait-mode dialler

Didn't notice anything else. Phone may be a little faster than before, but it was hardly slow on 1.0 either.

Browser is still exact same version as before (7.2).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

I've an unbranded emobile Nokia N8. I downloaded the firmware update last night via Ovi Suite on the PC. A rather large download at 176mb, and you can read about the tweaks it makes elsewhere online, but I have to say, I haven't noticed any difference whatsoever. So I wouldn't be in a panic about receiving this update. I already have the games it supposedly installs on your phone.

Best thing I did to my phone yesterday was downloading the battery monitor app - really good, and seems a very accurate gauge of the power left, to the nearest %. Much better than the battery indicator on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

If you havent got it yet check now I just got mine...

New version of nokia has just been released. No more need to uninstall nokia big screen anymore before install.

Download HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Nokia have released the official timetable for PR 1.1 for the N8

http://discussions.europe.nokia.com/t5/Software-Updates/Official-Nokia-N8-PR1-1-Software-Release-Schedule/td-p/923407

Meteor peeps, it'll be ready by the end of this week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

Davy wrote: »
    New version of nokia has just been released. No more need to uninstall nokia big screen anymore before install.

Download HERE

can i download it from the phone wireless

cena wrote: »
    can i download it from the phone wireless

No, via cable im afraid

Ok cool, must have changed, I thought bubbles was cable only

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 8 justmaybe

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this but ye seem to know ye'er stuff so might be able to help me. I got my new Nokia C7 yesterday and spent hours putting all my music, photo's etc on it and very happy with it - except- When I play my music on the head phones the "voice command" gets activated and I can't find where to disable it. This only happens when the head phones are attached, never when it's on speaker mode. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Small update today for the quick search. I installed it via the SW update app

As of 22 feb:

Ireland 0598980 Published
    Ireland 0598986 Published
    Ireland 0598997 Published
    Ireland 0599001 Published
    Ireland 0599006 Published
    Ireland 059C607 In creation
    Ireland 059D360 In creation <-- O2
    Ireland 059D7X4 In creation
    Ireland 059G3C2 In creation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭g0g

Can someone explain in laymans terms what all this PR1.1 etc stuff means? I'm on Vodsfone and gfot an update of some sort i nthe last few weeks. It's what's being listed here the catching up of the other networks on that little update or are we talking about this big update with the 50 features etc etc!?

The "50 Features" update is PR2.0, expected by 31. March.

This thread, so far, is talking about PR1.1, which is a bugfix and maintenance release of the firmware that came with the phone (which itself was called PR1.0)

The problem with these updates is that the networks have to sign-off on the software updates. Some of them are notoriously bad at doing this. I'm lucky that my N8 has a generic, non-operator product code - I got the 1.1 update within three days of release. My wife's O2-branded handset is still waiting, three weeks later.

As worse example, I just debranded my wife's old phone, a Nokia E66, off O2, and found that it had missed at least FIVE major software updates, the most recent of which being December 2010. The firmware went from 100.x.x to 500.x.x. People say Nokia don't support their handsets, but as far as I can see, they seem to be doing it -- it's the network operators who don't let customers install the software.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭jeremyr62

Same with O2 branded E71. Don't think it ever got a software update from O2. I debranded it after waiting about 6 months. Unfortunately it's a bit more complicated to do this for the N8 and it isn't permanent either AFAIK.

Advertisement