Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Symbian ^3 Firmware thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

jeremyr62 wrote: »
    Same with O2 branded E71. Don't think it ever got a software update from O2. I debranded it after waiting about 6 months. Unfortunately it's a bit more complicated to do this for the N8 and it isn't permanent either AFAIK.

Correct

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

PR 1.1 is now available for O2-branded N8s (Product ID: 059D360).

Also, for Mac users, there is now a pre-release of the MacOS X Software Update tool available from Nokia Beta Labs
    http://betalabs.nokia.com/apps/nokia-software-updater-for-mac

You'll need to sign in, but your Ovi Store account name and password will work here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭g0g

Anyone got any more news on new firmware for N8? have rooted around a few Nokia blog sites and can't see anything. Is the next update we're getting this Anna thing?

Anna this month, then Belle before year's end.

Bell has a lot more visible UI changes than Anna. Here are some pics (Click!). The flip-clock is very reminiscent of HTC Sense, but the notifications panel is right out of Harmattan/MeeGo.

All current Symbian3 devices (From N8 onwards) will get all future updates in this series.

and here's eight minutes of the same Belle running on an N8

YouTube

If the guy had put blu-tak under the phone, it'd look a whole lot more responsive. As it is, he's barely touching it, in case it slides off the table :)

Right-o, time to bump this thread... :)

Symbian Anna (PR2.0) is now available via Ovi Suite, or Nokia Software Update (if you use a mac)

Most product codes seem to be available, but some of the operator locked Irish phones may take another couple of days. My phone is a SIM-free UK product code (059C5Q8), and the update was available this morning for it.

You won't see this update on the phone yet; you need to conenct it to your PC/Mac and update it that way. The download is about 140 Mbyte...

(Note, if you are using one of the Nokia "Midnight" themes, you'll need to change your theme to one of the new ones, also helpfully called "Midnight", in order to see the new icons)

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭jimmy_t

i think the nokia servers have completely shat the bed, cant log into to nokia ovi suite, ovi suite cant find the update, cant log into nokia beta labs, this update is obviously incredibly popular... i cant imagine why....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

Has anyone in Ireland actually managed to officially update via OVI or OTA?
    Have all codes been released? (mine is 0598986 RM596)
    Thanks

mine is 059c5q8 rm-596

it keeps offering it to me on the ovi suite front page everytime i open it but then when i try to update it says it cant connect to the service so im presuming its just hugely oversubscribed coupled with the poor updating software on ovi suite. i have the latest ovi suite i think 3.1.1.85

I've also got 3.1.1.85, but I get the same v14 firmware as before :(
    Possibly the various codes have not been released as yet

Nokia have released 60% of all the product codes today, others to follow soon.

The update is not yet available for Irish product codes. My phone has got the update, but is actually a UK code.

Anyone who has the upgrade, be sure to check again for the Applications update (there are two), which will restore QuickOffice and Adobe PDF, and update other bits and pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

KrisW wrote: »

The update is not yet available for Irish product codes. My phone has got the update, but is actually a UK code.

Anyone who has the upgrade, be sure to check again for the Applications update (there are two), which will restore QuickOffice and Adobe PDF, and update other bits and pieces.

I got the upgrade.(same uk code) went to install anna 1/2 and 2/2 through ovi suite and it wouldn't work. seems to be working ota after restarting phone. portrait qwerty swype is v nice.
    I noticed you said it was about 140mb. it was 270mb that i downloaded. i had 1.2 previously installed. Actually the anna updates won't install. Keeps saying installation failed. Any ideas why?

Any idea when it is likely to become available? Alternatively, is there a site where one can check?

My ovi suite would not cooperate at all for me on two different laptops, one xp 32bit one w7 64bit so i tried the Nokia Softare Updater from betalabs on the w7 64bit laptop and it wouldnt work so i tried it this morning using the NSU again on the 32bit xp laptop and it did work no problem, it didnt show me the new post anna updates though so i had to go back to ovisuite for them and it handled them no problem. Anna finally, it seems to be very good so far, portrait qwerty is so nice to have. What can the microsoft communicator be used for? sfa for the average person im presuming?

"Communicator" originally came only with the E7; I think it's for Microsoft Exchange. Handy for business users.

Shazam is preinstalled in Applications > Music. I know it's free from Ovi, but it's there anyway.

The next batch of product codes goes out "the end of next week" according to Nokia

Anyone who's already got an N8 with the Anna upgrade; there's a camera update to be announced early next week according to Nokia's camera guy, Damian Dinning (tweet here.

Just got my update to Symbian Anna (v022.014). My phone is RM-596 598986. :D:D:D
    I had checked with OVI suite as well as SW update and found nothing . On an off chance, I then decided to try NSU.... lo and behold there was the update. All 248Mb of it. Installed it without any issues (about 30min). I didn't see the 2nd part of Symbian Anna that everyone was talking about, so I tried the 31 August date trick and found it under 'sw updates'. Installed on. Gave me a new OVI suite and Communicator.

Haven't had an opportunity to play around with anything - just too tired. (I've been up for work since 4:30 this morning). I'll post more tomorrow when I've had an opportunity to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

Update worked for me this morning - looks ok - must investigate the Communicator app a bit more - so far so good.

Kilsmum

• Advertisement

Ok had a chance to pay around a bit.and picked up the first issues....:(:(

- I had read about some problems accessing the phone Settngs so Itried accessing it on mine - confirmed 100%. Function was completely frozen to the extent that the phone hung as well. I rebooted and this time was able to access the phone settings.

- Under the 'Themes', I noticed that all the default N8 themes were gone and only the Midnight themes remained (I was using midnight theme Acqua before the update). I saw this morning that loads of others have reported the same thing in the Nokia forums.

- Under the screensaver, only the Big clock and the Nokia Sleeping screen are left - the others all gone.

- I'm not sure whether the themes issue is involved here, but I did not get the new Anna icons and I don't see any way to enable them either.

- The Bluetooth symbol that appears in the top right corner of the home screen is very faint compared to before the update.

Any suggestions or similar experiences?

Italia wrote: »
    Ok had a chance to pay around a bit.and picked up the first issues....:(:(

- I had read about some problems accessing the phone Settngs so Itried accessing it on mine - confirmed 100%. Function was completely frozen to the extent that the phone hung as well. I rebooted and this time was able to access the phone settings.
    I had the same problems opening Applications Manager the first time I updated, but I'm not sure if this was before I applied the "Anna Applications" updates. Problems have gone away now.
    - Under the 'Themes', I noticed that all the default N8 themes were gone and only the Midnight themes remained (I was using midnight theme Acqua before the update). I saw this morning that loads of others have reported the same thing in the Nokia forums.
    Yes, the new, Anna, Midnight themes ("Silver, Copper, Blue, Green") are now the default.

- Under the screensaver, only the Big clock and the Nokia Sleeping screen are left - the others all gone.
    Can't remember what the others were, as I never used them. There's a new version of Sleeping Screen out, by the way.. you should
    get it
    if you don't have it already.
    - I'm not sure whether the themes issue is involved here, but I did not get the new Anna icons and I don't see any way to enable them either.
    Change your theme to Midnight Silver, Midnight Blue, Midnight Copper (not the one on your E: drive) or Midnight Green.

Personally, I liked the "Midnight Rose" theme from the X7, so I've got that now. (Download a copy of it from here: http://iceman.sepia.org.ua/ICEthemes/Midnight_rose.sis)
    - The Bluetooth symbol that appears in the top right corner of the home screen is very faint compared to before the update.
    That's correct. It means that Bluetooth is on, but hidden from searches.
    When your phone is visible to others over BT, the icon is white, and "boldface"
    Any suggestions or similar experiences?

One tip:
    Go to Application Manager and delete "Conversations Server" and "Conversations App". This will fix two problems:
    1. shortcut icon for "Conversations" being wrong
    2. split-screen keyboard view not showing in SMS Conversations.

(Not my tip; via a post by "Asdasd" on allaboutsymbian.com )

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭jeremyr62

I have an contract O2 C7-00. Product code 0592496. No idea why it has this product code as it isn't O2 as far as I can tell. Anyway was offered an OTA update but I used NSU instead. Worked like a charm. Anna looks nice. Can't uderstand all the hate out there for Symbian. It's a v good phone OS IMO.

Another update...so far so good :).
    No further problems with Settings / Application Manager etc. The reboot obviously solved whatever stuffed up the works during / after the update.

I still think Nokia mucked it up a bit with regrds to the Themes. When I first purchased my N8, I got to download a series of 'Midnight' Themes (I used Aqua). With Symbian Anna, every single Theme is now called 'Midnight' with an associated colour. This makes it a bit difficult especially as there is ZERO difference between Midnight blue (Symbian Anna) and Midnight Acqua (N8 PR1) except the icons. You only find this out when you go back to the home screen. In the Themes screen itself there is no appreciable difference at all when you click the 2 options.

I already had the update for the Sleeping Screen. Really nice application and doesn't seem to guzzle the battery either.

I think Nokia provided a nice and very welcome update that solved a number of niggles (web browser for one) and querty keyboard (in portrait mode).
    The good news is that there is more to come with Symbian Belle (due in December?) and Nokia has announced that Symbian will be developed / supported until 2016...so....

Not to start a flame war with Android supporters, but if I look at the problems my friend is having with Android operating system on his HTC desire (the F word is pretty constant these days :rolleyes: )....I'm even more convinced that I got a great phone with the N8.
    I had the same problems opening Applications Manager the first time I updated, but I'm not sure if this was before I applied the "Anna Applications" updates. Problems have gone away now.

Yes, the new, Anna, Midnight themes ("Silver, Copper, Blue, Green") are now the default.

Can't remember what the others were, as I never used them. There's a new version of Sleeping Screen out, by the way.. you should
    get it
    if you don't have it already.

Change your theme to Midnight Silver, Midnight Blue, Midnight Copper (not the one on your E: drive) or Midnight Green.

Personally, I liked the "Midnight Rose" theme from the X7, so I've got that now. (Download a copy of it from here: http://iceman.sepia.org.ua/ICEthemes/Midnight_rose.sis)

That's correct. It means that Bluetooth is on, but hidden from searches.
    When your phone is visible to others over BT, the icon is white, and "boldface"

One tip:
    Go to Application Manager and delete "Conversations Server" and "Conversations App". This will fix two problems:
    1. shortcut icon for "Conversations" being wrong
    2. split-screen keyboard view not showing in SMS Conversations.

(Not my tip; via a post by "Asdasd" on allaboutsymbian.com )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭g0g

I'm on Vodafone Ireland and got the update grand today. Looks nice and will have a play around with it now! Nice being able to text with full keyboard and will have a proper look around the browser.

If you have an N8, there is a camera update available on Nokia's Beta Labs page.

- 30fps video
    - better UI
    - autofocus video if you enable close-up mode

Details here: (Nokia Conversations article). That article is worth a read, anyway; it gives a good insight into how this stuff is put together.

Download here: (Beta Labs)

Restart your phone after installing this update!

As an aside, I found another one of the "50 features" :) When you receive a file via Bluetooth, you get a single notification, and then the "Recevied Files" application opens, showing the file(s) at the top of the list. Pre-Anna, you used to get a "fake SMS" for every file received.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 sneepmo

Can't see the Anna update on Ovi and also downloaded and checked NSU but again nothing.

Does anyone know if 3 Ireland product codes for Nokia have been given the green like for the Anna update?

Current status

1. Get your code: main screen > Call > *#0000# . "Product Code: 05xxxx"

2. Open the spreadsheet attached to that post, and see if your code is listed. (Excel strips the leading zeroes of some codes in the list, so "59xxxx" is really "059xxxx")

• Registered Users Posts: 36 sneepmo

I feel like an Eels song....I'm not on that list..

Hopefully at the end of the week when the next batch is added.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Have been playing around with this update since yesterday morning, and I have to say the changes are pretty good so far;

Pro's
    Email client is the biggest notable improvement - really excellent
    Calender is good as well
    Speed of phone - much much faster - particularly noticable when scrolling down and accessing emails and selecting music tracks (I've a 16gb SD card packed with music, it is playing any ones I select at random almost instantly).
    Battery life - also improved by half a day I reckon.
    Qwerty keyboard in portrait mode is very useful (embarrassing really that its taken this long)

Cons

The theme is horrific - its predominantly black and white, even all the icons were just white in the menu screens. Installed 'Ray's' theme from Ovi store and it looks lovely now.

Browser - serious disappointment, its a bit weird to use in fact, I actually preferred the old one! I'm surprised that with all that time spent on development that was the best they could come up with?? Will continue with Opera for forseeable future.

Anyway, all in all pretty positive outcome, the con's can be overcome very easily. Installation painless as well, well done Nokia!

Advertisement