Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Symbian ^3 Firmware thread

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Hmm interesting countdown here.

Belle getting released already.....?!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭KrisW

Looks like. It appears that the 600, 700 and possibly the 701 will be launched on Wednesday. All three will be running Symbian Belle.

600 is the mid-range model; 700 is the thin one.

701 is rumoured to be a bump to the C7, and may use the same casework. If so, no bad thing; the C7 is still a nice design.

For those who like to fret away their days, there was a seven week period between the "on-sale" introduction of the X7 and E6 (first week of July), and the first Anna updates for existing phones.

Nokia's firmware updates must be run by Dublin bus: you wait all year for one...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,027 ✭✭✭✭cena

Can you no longer update the phone through the wifi. My n8 tells me too connect too the pc.

Yeah that's a main thing with it....its to increase stability!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭g0g

anyone know a summary benefits belle gives over anna? Also anyone find boards mobile site displays tiny at normal font? Using N8 btw

• Advertisement

Belle provides a new UI, and a new browser (7.4; Anna uses 7.3). The Belle browser appears to use GPU acceleration, so is much faster than previous versions when scrolling.

Look at the videos to see the new UI. There are plenty around, but this is probably the best of them: YouTube

Unlike Anna, there doesn't seem to be major functional changes under the hood in Belle. Most people will think that Belle is the bigger update, though, because the new stuff in Belle is very visible.

There will be more technical info available after tomorrow's launch of the Belle-equipped phones.

Put Belle on my phone today!!

Very nice...haven't played around with it much but obviously it'll be better when officially launched as all the main apps will be supported properly!

Takes a bit of getting used to the new layout but so far I like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Italia

I know we've only just had Anna, but is there any indication (even if guesstimate) of when Belle is going to be released?

In other words is it worthwhile to upgrade to current Belle versions or wait until it is released in (for example) 2-3 months time?

If I do upgrade to Belle on the officiale Anna release, will the current version be upgradeable to the final? If not, can it be uninstalled and revert back to Anna?

They've said Q4....so take what you want from that!! Could be October 1st....could be December 31st....but knowing Nokia it could be March! :P

• Company Representative Posts: 5,310 ✭✭✭Adverts.ie: Eddie

kmart6 wrote: »
    They've said Q4
    2012 :D

• Advertisement

If I do upgrade to Belle on the officiale Anna release, will the current version be upgradeable to the final? If not, can it be uninstalled and revert back to Anna?

No, and Yes, in that order.

You should never apply an official update if you're on an unreleased version. Installers are only tested based on upgrading an official release to another official release. It might work fine, but there's a chance that the installer will leave unstable software (from the pre-release) on your device.

If you do flash your phone, you should re-flash it with Anna when Belle is officially released, then get the Belle update through official channels.

Belle should be here within 60 days of the 600,700,701 getting into people's hands. That's how Anna worked out.

Advertisement