Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cutting your own Hair

• 03-02-2011 6:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭

Alright lads I've been thinking about this one for a while and I was just wondering does anyone else do it and have they any advice as to what hair clippers would be a good buy?

It seems you can buy a fairly good set for the price of 3/4 haircuts, I know the first few cuts on your own could end up a bit dodgy but I wouldn't be going for anything too fancy, just your run of the mill number 5 or 6.

Not sure if this should be in fashion and appearance or not but that forum seems to full of women and well there's a vast difference between our haircuts and theirs!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

One or two of my friends shave their own heads with a clipper.Something like no3 or no2.It's looks neat but if I wanted hair longer than that I'd just go in and get it cut somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

I shaved (1/2/3 blade at different times) mine myself from 17 to about 23/24.

I found short hair more comfortable and easier to manage, especially when playing a lot of sport.

I think I went through 2 clippers in that time, both from the Babybliss for men range. The last one I had bought in Argos i think, about 30 euro give or take and pretty good quality. They will do a good job and last a while so i would recommend them.

A number 5 or 6 seems pretty long for an all over cut you do yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

I use a Wahl razor, have had the same one for about 10 years now
    Weekly 0 blade cut so can really go wrong
    As most dry cuts cost about a tenner and a good razor cost about 40-50 quid I save a fortune
    Just keep it clean and oiled

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Timothy Bryce

i use a scissors and cut back the bush once a month. if you put a bowl on your head it will help you achieve some degree of symmetry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

if you put a bowl on your head it will help you achieve some degree of symmetry.

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You all have hair?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Hill Billy wrote: »
    You all have hair?!
    I presumed it was hairy backs ;)

I have done it since I was 16 or so, have saved a fortune, I am pretty good at tapering, though I do a blade 1.5 all over these days, got so good mates would get me to do theirs with tapers etc (WTF is with barbers always shaving the feck out of peoples sideburns)

There are lots of videos on youtube with tips, for leaving it long on top you can just hold your free hand against the scalp to stop it going up too high. Keep looking in the mirror after a few goes you just know when to stop. It is far easier to give a close blade all over than a longer one.

I know have a wahl professional balding razor which is amazing, I use it on my face too as it goes so close and only takes under a minute to do the full face. I got it from this seller http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150442737645&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123
    it only comes with a 1.5 and 0.5 blade, but standard wahl ones fit it and you can get spares on ebay. My previous one was a wahl bog standard one, but lasted a good 18 years and still works, could do with new blades, which you can also get on ebay. The pro one is a joy to use though, highly recommend it.

In argos you can get ones designed for doing your own hair, they sort of slip on your palm like a glove and you can go in any direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Yeah I'm a miserable fcuker too, I've been using a WAHL for about 15 years now, no problems just a drop of Baby oil on the blade now and again and then your suckin diesel. I use a no 1 back and sides and thin the top with thinning scissors

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

WAHL here too :) Use it more to keep my beard down. But, weather permitting, I like to shave my head as close as it'll go. Had this baby for maybe twenty years now? (Ha, ha haa! Barber go fcuk yeself!)

Only one problem; Few weeks ago, I was stripping my hair off ~ on impulse. It was getting too long despite the cold weather ..... Clippers stopped working! Mid Cut! :eek:

Jesus wept! Half a head of #1. Half hairy as a Dogs backside. Tufts left here and there. Thank god I only go near people once a week and wear a hat when ever I'm not in bed.

I'm thinking of suing Wahl for PTSD. That and having my mate PHSL as he fiddled with the screw on the side and finally got my clippers working again :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Ive been cutting my own hair since 87
    I can do any style I wear and I'm always happier than I was when they used to deck it up. Back in the day you couldn't get clippers si j learned with sissies and these yokes http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Manual_hair_clippers.JPG

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,589 ✭✭✭baldbear

I cut my own hair the other night for the first time. I think it looks grand, the other half will tell me her opinion tomorrow!

I bought a Philips qc5170 from Argos for €29 even though website says €35...It has a rotating head so it's handy.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4426051/Trail/searchtext%3EPHILIPS+HAIR+CLIPPER.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

baldbear wrote: »
    I cut my own hair the other night for the first time. I think it looks grand, the other half will tell me her opinion tomorrow!

I bought a Philips qc5170 from Argos for €29 even though website says €35...It has a rotating head so it's handy.

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/4426051/Trail/searchtext%3EPHILIPS+HAIR+CLIPPER.htm

I have those clippers myself for around 2 years now and still working fantastically well. I usually do a 0 all over (Just clippers, no combs attached) and occasionally a 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

lads, if you can afford it buy the WAHL one..

I got one (for work at the time) in 1987 and my brother has been using it for years.. still works perfectly.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

Have used various clippers over the years and this is the best one i've tried. usually go for a 2 or 3 all over and this gives the most even trim methinks.

would not for one of the cheapo clipper as often the blade setting slips when cutting and you can end up with a tighter cut than desired :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I picked up a razor in TK Maxx years ago and have been using it since, i think its Nicky Clarke. It cost me €20, saved me hundreds. I normally use a Gillette Fusion on my head once a week, if it gets too long i use the razor first to take it down to a 0 and then shave it with the Fusion.
    Havent paid for a haircut in 6 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Bought my second set of clipppers last year, about 10 years after buying my first. Usally do a 1-4 all over depending on mood. Have probably only been to a hairdressers/barbers about half a dozen times during that period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

Just make sure u have the next day off work and dont do it late at night. First time i done my own hair it came out disastrously patchy, Ended up calling in sick the next day and going to the barbers for them to 'fix it'.
    Bit of practice tho and you end up saving a fortune.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

First time I shaved my head it was grand... just did it there again a few weeks ago, pretty dodgy result :P Going to go to a barber today to fix it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Can you get a blade 0 cut with those? It says it can just checking to be sure?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭cat_rant

Funny that Op says girls hairstyling is different.... I have a short pageboy type haircut. Was very busy the last few weeks and couldn't get to the hairdressers. So used the BF's Wahl clippers. Number 8 on back took about 1 inch off and trimmed the top. Really happy with it and have been getting lots of compliments about my new hair cut. ;)

Hair cuts as a girl is like 5 times the cost for guys in most salons. As far as I know he has the Wahl for like years and has never had a bother with it.

I probably saved myself about 35- 40 quid.

And got the look I wanted without the * where you going on holidays love?*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I use a babyliss thing with no combs once a week. Not as much to shave off these days, but been doing it for 10 years now so saved a fortune

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Got meself a pair of clippers a while back and I am gonna start cutting my own hair, fed up spending money on something tat I could do myself... I guess I can't go wrong with a number 4 all over right?

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    I guess I can't go wrong with a number 4 all over right?
    Worst that can happen is the clip on it falls off and you get a bald patch. To stop this you hold your fingers on the plastic bit. My professional wahl one has white plastic blades and they clip on much more securely.

The lower the blade the easier it is to shave evenly and quickly. I have a blade 1.5 which is great. It would take me nearly twice as long to do a 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 PaddyW

Been shaving my own head using a blade 0 for about the last ten years. I was in London recently and forgot my shaver so dropped intoa barbers and got him to do a nice, tight cut. He made a great job of it, half tempted to start getting someone to do it for me now. Or else I'll have to learn how to master using the Fusion on it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

rubadub wrote: »
    Worst that can happen is the clip on it falls off and you get a bald patch. To stop this you hold your fingers on the plastic bit. My professional wahl one has white plastic blades and they clip on much more securely.

The lower the blade the easier it is to shave evenly and quickly. I have a blade 1.5 which is great. It would take me nearly twice as long to do a 4.
    Did it yesterday and besides missing a few stray hairs it went grand, was a bit nervous so it took me a while, but no more barbers for me!

PaddyW wrote: »
    Or else I'll have to learn how to master using the Fusion on it!
    The balding one I mentioned is really good, closer than a zero on a normal clipper, like a 5 o clock shadow when done on my face.
    rubadub wrote: »
    I now have a wahl professional balding razor which is amazing, I use it on my face too as it goes so close and only takes under a minute to do the full face. I got it from this seller http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150442737645&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:GB:1123
    it only comes with a 1.5 and 0.5 blade, but standard wahl ones fit it and you can get spares on ebay. My previous one was a wahl bog standard one, but lasted a good 18 years and still works, could do with new blades, which you can also get on ebay. The pro one is a joy to use though, highly recommend it.

Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    Did it yesterday and besides missing a few stray hairs it went grand
    If you go to fast it can miss hairs, maybe get somebody else to do your crown too as hair can be all over the place and you need to go at it from all angles, try and remember which way the person is having to go. Another trick if having a 4 or longer is to fan your fingers out and grab the hair between them close to the scalp, then your your other hand to pat along the top of your hair trapped between the fingers to feel for any uncut areas. I like to start around the sides and go right up onto the top, then clear the top from front to back. People forget that the blades are set a good bit back from the front of the plastic clip on blades and so usually do not go up high enough on the sides.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

I would also advise getting a pair of clippers with ceramic blades. You don't have to oil them which saves you loads of hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Can anyone recommend a clippers that can be used on or off the mains.I dont want a fully cordless one.I was told you can get clippers that can be used on or off the cord.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I never let my barber do my fring when i get my hair cut as they never do it properly so i do it myself with scissors. Once i got it badly wrong and had to go around with a messy look for a few weeks to try and disguise it but other than that it works out fairly well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

The trick with cutting your own hair is to get the edges right.
    If you can get an even finish around the ears an across the back of the head it'll look good, get it crocked an everyone will think 'home haircut lol ' some will even say it to your face, rude bastards. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I tried clipping my own hair a few times in the past with a cheapie clippers that was gotten from lidl.That didn't go too well and it was forever leaving patches and just plain not cutting.I recently got a wahl clippers and there is no comparison.It has already paid for itself.I clipped it at a n04 all over once a week for 3 weeks and its still going strong.I'm might try a no3 next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 CosyAcorn

I picked a decent one (20 quid down from €35) up from Argos a few weeks ago and have been giving myself a nice blade 2 all over since. In around the ears and the back of my neck can be a bit tricky but getting better at it.

My brother saw it and asked my to give him a Mohawk. So he folded up an old bit of newspaper into a strip as wide as he wanted the Mohawk and held it to the top of his head while I cut the sides with a blade 1. Worst. Mohawk. Ever. But at least it wasn't my hair :)

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I'll take it all off myself because dandruff is near impossible to get rid of.Head & shoulders plenty of it.Taking it all off is easy but a normal haircut must take some effort ...get a relative save a tenner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 johnwatt

Always seem to get uneven cuts, so I end up still cutting my hair a few days later, just go to a cheap barbers.

Advertisement