Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with choosing guitar pick-ups?

Options
  • 03-02-2011 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hey guys I was hoping somebody could help me with choosing a new set of pick ups for my guitar(PRS SE Mikael Akerfeldt) I generally play in Hard Rock/Metal styles (Judas Priest,Metallica,Megadeth,Iron Maiden,Black Sabbath etc. etc.) but I also play certain softer things (GNR,Nine inch nails,Nirvana,Foo Fighters but nothing really lighter than that). So I welcome any suggestions on any type of pickup but I also ask that if you are suggesting a pickup type you could tell me where you think the best place to be it would be and get it re-wired? Cheers to anyone who comments.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Your best bet is to have a look at the pickup manufacturer's website and check out sound samples. Some brands which spring to mind are DiMarzio, Seymour Duncan, EMG. Their websites will usually have wiring diagrams if you fancy doing it yourself? It's pretty straight forward, just a bit of soldering really. Though take it to a guitar shop if you're not happy and they should do it, or should be able to recommend someone who will.

Before you do any of that though, what amp are you using? Most your tone comes from the amp, so there's not much point in spending an arm and a leg on pickups if you use a poor amp, you won't hear the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Somewhere between rock and metal is the SH4 for the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

Emgs are great for metal but i find theyre too sterile & no warmth for anything else
    duncan jbs are really good for passive pickups, I find them too harsh with 500k pots so for me its a 250k tone pot & a.047 uf cap
    its all down to personal taste though

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Takemyscars72

Im currently amp-less but I intend on buying a Line 6 soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭darrenw5094

Check out the Peavey Vypyr range before the Line 6 thing.

The Seymour SH-4 is a good all round pickup for rock to metal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

If you got the notes,Bareknuckle nailbomb set.

If not, Duncan jb and 59(alternatively a Dimarzio distortion and air norton)

Patricide wrote: »

Bareknuckles eat Seymours for brekkie. I have Bareknuckle Mule's in an LP Goldtop and they are the business alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

I have an active EMG 81 in by strats bridge, the overdrive is amazing! however, its very hard to get a decent clean tone of it. one of my mates has passive 81s in his guitar, clean tone isn't the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

Duncan jb and 59 is a nice combo. The 59 in the neck is a bit nicer than what they recommend with their packs which is the sh2n.

Bareknuckles eat Seymours for brekkie. I have Bareknuckle Mule's in an LP Goldtop and they are the business alright.
    Yeah, only downside is they cost a good chunk o change. Seen a pair second hand going for 120 though and they were calibrated with covers too.

• Advertisement

Yeah, only downside is they cost a good chunk o change. Seen a pair second hand going for 120 though and they were calibrated with covers too.

Where?:)

My bad, just realised its 140...and its sterling.

but here : http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/gear-sale/657792-fs-bare-knuckle-nailbombs-uk-eu.html

Advertisement