Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bet you dont know a male who is shorter than his natural mother?

• 03-02-2011 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭

Apparently this is true albeit not 100% but dam close,basically it is almost genetically impossible for this to occur,and when I rack my brains to think of one single exception to the rule,I cannot find one, A son can occasionally be the same height as his natural mother,but hardly ever smaller than her. A daughter can of course be taller than her father.

Go away and think about that now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Slow day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

My neighbour is shorter than his mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

My neighbour is shorter than his mother.

Yeah but he's only 6!

Apparently this is true albeit not 100% but dam close,basically it is almost genetically impossible for this to occur,and when I rack my brains to think of one single exception to the rule,I cannot find one, A son can occasionally be the same height as his natural mother,but hardly ever smaller than her. A daughter can of course be taller than her father.

Superb paradox.

I always thought something that wasnt 100% true was false.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Bjorn Bored.

orourkeda wrote: »

ah that just an anomaly,proves why its not 100%,but seriously do you personally have any relatives who break this rule,but ya dont:pac:

needless to say it applies to when the son is FULLY GROWN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Complete bull crap.

Harvey is much shorter than his mam, Katie Price !(for the mean time)

ah that just an anomaly,proves why its not 100%,but seriously do you personally have any relatives who break this rule,but ya dont:pac:

No. But I'm 6' 3. How many women do you know who are 6 ft 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,710 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I remember being told about this many years ago, and like you, I cannot think of anyone that I know that is shorter than their mother. Wanna' include dwarves?:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

needless to say it applies to when the son is FULLY GROWN

and excluding primordial dwarfism and wee man lookalikes

Exactly! proves my point, a fully grown male will Always be taller than his natural mother! see?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Exactly! proves my point, a fully grown male will Always be taller than his natural mother! see?:)

Its due to the fact the majority of women are smaller than their partners.

If a woman was 6'1 and the man was Danny De Vito, The likleyhood is that they will have children - male and female smaller than her but taller than him, with the female siblings being shorter than the male.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

There's a rule?:confused:

Another FF travesty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

because i don't know or actually seen any siamese twins... all of'em on the telly aren't real?

i know lots of farely short blokes. all of'ems mothers are shorter?

o_O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I know 3.

A family living at home had a mother who was 6'3" married to the Da who was about 5'7". 3 boys and one girl all grew up to be in the 6' to 6'2" range. The girl was the tallest. But none of the kids were taller than their mother.

snyper wrote: »
    and excluding primordial dwarfism and wee man lookalikes

Why?

Is that because they happen to be smaller than their birth mother by any chance, therefore rendering the premise of this thread utterly incorrect.

No Snyper thats simply not the case,the boys will be taller!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

My friend is 21 and 5'9" and his mother and sister(19) are around 6 foot.

Very rare though I suppose.

****, maybe he got mixed up at the hospital?

No its true I tell ya,if anyone thinks they know of one its best to see if that mother is their NATURAL mother,bet she isny,anyway gotta run!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

You haven't seen Galway's KD

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1225197/Meet-Emma-Cahill-Britains-tallest-schoolgirl-towers-teachers-size-14-feet.html

do you reckon this girl will be smaller than her sons if ever has any. perhaps she will but would you bet on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,948 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

dilallio wrote: »

First person I thought of too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

dilallio wrote: »

Who?

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭seafood dunleavy

Do midgets conceive midgets?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I know a guy who is shorter than both his natural parents. His mother is no longer with us, though. Why would it be "impossible", knowing what we do about genetics e.g. recessive traits? :rolleyes:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Yore Ma for starters! :D

Sorry! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Father 174 cm
    Mother 176 cm
    Brother 175 cm
    Me 186 cm

What height is the postman? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

peasant wrote: »
    Father 174 cm
    Mother 176 cm
    Brother 175 cm
    Me 186 cm

Yeah but your ma prolly had heels on! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Complete bullsh/t! One of my brothers is about 2 inches shorter than my Mother, he's about the same height as my Father. Another brother is taller than both of them.

nibtrix wrote: »
    Complete bullsh/t! One of my brothers is about 2 inches shorter than my Mother, he's about the same height as my Father. Another brother is taller than both of them.

It is not bull****. It is very rare that a normal (as in non midget/dwarf) fully grown and mature male will be smaller in height than his natural mother. Very rare. I know of nobody.

Of course there may be some instances, but I would say it's a very small percentage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Height is influenced by nutrition as well as genetics.

This is why the Japanese are getting taller. Or so I've read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I know one.

I don't think it's been mentioned, but one very obvious example is Wiliam and Harry. Diana was tall for a woman, probably 5'10" or so. Both boys are at least two to three inches taller, despite Charles only being about 5'9" or thereabouts...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Hurricane-Dean

One of my good friends is shorter than his mother and his 4 brothers, 2 of who are younger than him :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Donal Og O Baelach

Lumen wrote: »
    Height is influenced by nutrition as well as genetics.

This is why the Japanese are getting taller. Or so I've read.

Nah. I saw three of them yesterday. They're still very small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

MY dad 5.6 (tallest in his family)
    My mother 5.4 (smallest in her family)
    Me 5.5 (female)
    My brother 5.3 and 3/4 (age 32) he was 1 foot smaller than anyone in his class when he was at school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Superb paradox.

I always thought something that wasnt 100% true was false.
    That's an oxymoron, not a paradox.

Advertisement