Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bank of Ireland car loan

Options
  • 03-02-2011 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

Hi I've a 1.5 years left on a 5 year car loan (fixed rate). I really want to get rid of this loan a early but can't afford to clear it completely. Is it possible to increase the monthly payments on a loan like this or am I stuck with it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

what did the bank say when you called them

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

I missed the customer service hours (closed at 17.30). So I thought I'd tried posting to see if anyone had knowledge of this. I will try to ring tomorrow but thought I might get some tips??

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

It will come down to whether they're prepared to change your agreement and whether there is a penalty for paying early (or making the change).

Do some maths and work out whether it is worth it after you've had a chat to the load provider.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

I had a similar loan up to recently.
    They wouldnt accept any extra payments over the term of the loan.
    I cleared it off just before christmas (13 mnths left), think I saved about 40/50 in interest payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

I had a car loan with them a few years ago and rang to see if paying it off early would save me anything. It didn't i had to pay the full loan off as if it lasted the full 5 years.

I will never get another loan of them like that again the credit union is far better imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I have a car loan from BOI where I can clear it off for slightly less than the full amount, but I can't pay it off before half the term has passed, at which stage I've already paid most of the interest. As you get closer to the end of the term, the savings in paying it off early are lessened. A year out, there's probably no saving or just a few quid.

The best thing to do is to put extra money aside each month and then use that to clear the loan early.

Advertisement