Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website spell checker

• 03-02-2011 7:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭

Ok this may be a tricky one but here goes.
    I have a website that comes in several languages, Chinese, French, English, ... The default language is English with a DB with other languages for when user sets their language to something else.

What I'm looking for is a tool that will crawl the website (it's a big one) and look for word strings against a dictionary.
    This way I hope that when set to Spanish the crawler will find phrases in English (that haven't been translated yet) or spelling mistakes in Spanish.

Does such a tool exist? I've been looking a while but thought I'd put a thread here if someone knows of one already.
    Free if possible but I have a budget.

Oh and this website isn't available from the internet (yet) so tool cannot be scanning over the net.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

You say "tool" but I'm not sure if you want an application you can simply point at a root url an sit back or an actual tool you could use to create such a application. If it is the later you are after perhaps Lucene might interest you. As in
    http://sujitpal.blogspot.com/2007/12/spelling-checker-with-lucene.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The former actually, being the lazy git I am :)

I found a few instructions how to build a tool with Ruby/Java and spell check that way - but I'm hoping to simply find a website spell checker application that uses a custom dictionary so I can use it in other languages than just English.
    Also it has to work offline.

Ok, what I've found so far (in case someone else might need it).

InSite
    Checkdog
    Aspose.Spell
    HTML PowerSpell - selected Cool Tool of the Day, July 8, 1997!
    Spell Checker in Website Analyzer
    SpellO
    UltimateSpell

My recommendation:
    - Inspyder InSite with spell check
    Looks good, has several languages and also custom dictionary to add business words
    Can log in while spell checking.
    Also checks for broken/bad links.
    $60
    Creates report.
    At this price I can buy it even if it's only used very occasionally.

Other tested:
    - SpellO spello.codeplex.com
    Not very feature rich but work in progress.
    Support US, UK, DE, FR, ES, MX
    $Free
    No report but is quite easy to use.

- Microsys Website Analyzer with spell check.
    Not user friendly, could still work

- Checkdog
    Online spell check service, no use to me as it cannot scan internal servers

Advertisement