Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OK to silicone seal under door?

• 03-02-2011 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

In the current driving rain, I have some water coming in under this door and spreading under the flooring. I am wondering if it would be OK to run a bead of silicone sealant along where the door step meets the floor? or would it cause other problems?

attachment.php?attachmentid=146399&stc=1&d=1296757399

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

You can if you wish, but it wont solve the problem.

The door is - or should be set into the step / screed for a few mm, sealing around the bottom wont stop dampness comming in, as it likely you have no dpc membrane or storm channel outside at the step, where it should be

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

It would be better to run the seal outside rater than inside if that is possible to stop the water from getting in at all. If that is not possibe I suppose inside might be the next best think

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Thanks folks, any quick fix will do, its a very rare issue, only happens when wind is certain direction and stormy.
    I will do it from outside as suggested above. Will silicone adhere to concrete do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Just had a thought, what if I were to put a lip of concrete along the outside tapered up to the door step? What do you think, would this be a better solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

dnme wrote: »
    Just had a thought, what if I were to put a lip of concrete along the outside tapered up to the door step? What do you think, would this be a better solution?

Make sure there is a decent drip on the out side of the door and the locking system is engaging correctly. You can get a drip with a blade that hangs down that will solve that, when the wind and rain is driving it will push the blade against the lip of the frame stopping all the water coming in. Exitex do them, you can order in your local DIY store

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭studdlymurphy

I would seal it and then put in the concrete might be a better job

Advertisement