Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SERIOUS ISSUES with Triax ST-HD537 Combi - Buyer Beware

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

i have the box and i have no problems with . the epg could be a little better. but good

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

have one spare room and working ok,few fixes needed like guide etc

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Orson100

liamo50 wrote: »
    HiThere,
    Anyone out there got a channel dump file for the Triax ST-HD537 Combi .

Thanking all on advance

Liam

Hi Liam, you've prob sorted this by now but attached find my channel backup file.

For those unfamiliar with process:

1. Unzip contents to root of USB key (mine was standard FAT32-formatted).
    2. Insert key in USB socket at rear of HD537.
    3. Cycle on HD537 | Menu | Information
    4. Key in not-so-secret code 1475
    5. Restore from USB option. (Backup option here also).

I presume the restore works, I have not tested, just ripped the attached backup for a friend just now.

For those enquiring re general performance of the box, I have come across no further issues other than those expressed earlier re EPG limitations/bugs.

Orson

has anyone problems tuning in BBC four

• Registered Users Posts: 35 paulfitzg

I have one of these boxes. Nearly sure I have the latest firmware. The epg seems to be an issue. On Irish channels I get current and next programmes but the rest are sporadic, get a couple of days listings for some and very little for others. On the satellite channels I get current and next for some channels but no listings (even current program) for others.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Regards

Paul.

very same issue with ;me tried ringing them up using the number on the box it just rang out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 barzer82

jamescc wrote: »
    very same issue with ;me tried ringing them up using the number on the box it just rang out

Hi Guys

I have made contact with Triax Uk and there has been an issue with there phone line so this would be why you would have not got answer, it should be fixed this week they tell me, I got an e mail address for them with any problems that I had for there range of set top boxes, I got a reply with a query I had, so this should help.

stbsupport@triax.co.uk

barzer82 wrote: »
    Hi Guys

I have made contact with Triax Uk and there has been an issue with there phone line so this would be why you would have not got answer, it should be fixed this week they tell me, I got an e mail address for them with any problems that I had for there range of set top boxes, I got a reply with a query I had, so this should help.

stbsupport@triax.co.uk

i asked triax uk epg and guide question and also about updates,was told simular,i asked again where will updates for this box be as they arent showing last update on any triax site for hd537,havent got a answer yet

• Registered Users Posts: 5 liamo50

Thanks for that Orson will give it a try.

Liam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

paulfitzg wrote: »
    I have one of these boxes. Nearly sure I have the latest firmware. The epg seems to be an issue. On Irish channels I get current and next programmes but the rest are sporadic, get a couple of days listings for some and very little for others. On the satellite channels I get current and next for some channels but no listings (even current program) for others.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Regards

Paul.

This could be the self same issue of duplicate Event IDs being used by RTE in the EPG data which is messing up your receiver's display of the schedule. See http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056320157

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Can the Satellite Strength and Quality % on the Information page on this box be trusted?
    Setup a box and tuned in dtt channels today, the pre-loaded satellite channels have no picture break up issues or anything but the max strength i have seen is 75% and quality 50%?
    No obstructions to dish and pretty well aligned and lnb skew should be ok too although not with a professional meter unfortunately.

Thanks for any info

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Orson100

Can the Satellite Strength and Quality % on the Information page on this box be trusted?
    Setup a box and tuned in dtt channels today, the pre-loaded satellite channels have no picture break up issues or anything but the max strength i have seen is 75% and quality 50%?
    No obstructions to dish and pretty well aligned and lnb skew should be ok too although not with a professional meter unfortunately.

Thanks for any info

I have perfect picture and sound on my sat channels, and last time I checked I had 0% strength and quality (no bars at all). While I believe it takes a while for STBs in general to track and report the signal strength and quality, I think there's an underlying problem with the functionality on this box. My brother-in-law's 537 is reporting 99/95 or similar, but with no disernible difference in picture/sound quality to mine. In this context, I would consider the 537 strength/quality indicator to be as useful as a chocolate teapot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭odyboody

Put one of these in yesterday. No problems encountered and wonderful picture.
    I chose this box because the Ferguson box now has 50 pages of problem queries.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

odyboody wrote: »
    Put one of these in yesterday. No problems encountered and wonderful picture.
    I chose this box because the Ferguson box now has 50 pages of problem queries.:)

The Ferguson thread has 2000 responses of people looking for all kinds of functionality! Like most new boxes there were initial issues with it which according to posts have been solved.

Did the title of this thread not make you think your comments about another box were a tad ironic!!!

For some reason an episode of Fr. Ted where Dougal is in the cockpit of an aeroplane looking at this button, came to mind.

dont-press-the-red-button.jpg

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭mdfire

STB wrote: »
    The Ferguson thread has 2000 responses of people looking for all kinds of functionality! Like most new boxes there were initial issues with it which according to posts have been solved.

Did the title of this thread not make you think your comments about another box were a tad ironic!!!

For some reason an episode of Fr. Ted where Dougal is in the cockpit of an aeroplane looking at this button, came to mind.

dont-press-the-red-button.jpg

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Odessa

The Triax warranty for two years may be ok as far as that goes but the combi box had one major drawback- its provided with an empty socket where there should be a WORKING LAN built in.The Ferguson Arriva combi model 220 has this built in and does not seem to have the teething problems of the Triax.Its a better investment price wise I believe.I am considering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭seanwindle22

byte wrote: »
    @Orson100

I can only go on personal experience, but there's a HD537 hooked up at work, running 24/7.

It seems that the DTT issues have been resolved (DTT doesn't seem to stutter and dropout anymore, which was easily noticeable on RTE NN scrolling text).

I cannot comment on the recording aspect of it - have never had time to test this feature.

There has been both hardware and firmware changes. The hardware change was minor (can't remember exactly what was changed, but someting minor like a few resistors) and the firmware was changed from 3.4.1 to 3.8.1

Getting hold of newer firmware updates on this box seems to be the biggest issue now. Triax websites don't mention this STB's existance at all, let alone offer f/w updates.

The only update so far that I had access to was 3.4.1 which was sent to me via supplier. It's a simple case of copying files to USB pendrive, inserting in the STB, and let it do the rest (it recognises f/w on the drive and immediately starts updating, then rebooting).
    hello
    wondering if you can help i am looking ti buy a triax combo box now do u know if they have resolved the issues explained here. also do u know where i can get the software for the channel line up instead of trying to sort out the channels after doing a scan. any help would be great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 barzer82

You can get the channel line up from a company Electroplus in Dublin, These guys sorted me out! There is a way to sort yourself but does take a few hours to do , Menu, Information, then press 1475 and modify channel list, but Electroplus have it already done. There number is 01 4196240

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

I've had one of these boxes installed at home in Donegal and so far it has been hassle free for me at least.

I am impressed with the MHEG 5 functionality in it. Digital Aertel on RTE 1 & 2 is fast and the BBC Red Button text works perfectly and drives multi screen channels perfectly.

On the down side it took me a couple of hours to sort the channel list and there is only now and next on the satellite EPG but for simplicity and speed I have to say I'm impressed.

The acid test of how simple it is to use was to hand the remote to my Dad who is very non technical when it comes to these things - he found it easy to use.

• Advertisement

wonder is there a new firmware update comming out ,have the 3.8.1,too address the issue where it gives details now and next programs,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭ponyirl

hi all,
    i installed one of these for a customer the other day and low and behold the Irish dtt channels started this freezing and dropping out sometimes not returning for over an hour without switching off and back on the receiver, so.. i contacted my supplier who suggested looking over the system in the house which i didn't install originally turns out the signal level on my meter turned was only noise coming from a wolsey 4 way booster in the crawl space and the aerial also located in the attic had been surrounded be 50mm kingspan insulation during an upgrade to the insulation in the house thus no signal at all coming in .i suggested to the client that the only way was to put up a new aerial outside which i did and the analog signal is now perfect but the lovely triax hd537 is still dropping out . very unhappy customer needless to say and a slightly red faced me for the way things panned out .

any how has and one located the latest firmware for this box i've tried the triax website lots of updates listed but nothing listed for the hd357

any replies help greatly appreciated thanks all

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I think you should just send it back to your supplier, in favour of a box that works.

If what I'm told was right, it's more than software that fixed these boxes - there was a small component change internally too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Lads, got one of these on trial today from the electrical shop in town.

Plugged it in to replace our old Sky box so there's a feed coming from that Sky installed dish and another feed coming from the old aerial on the roof that we have been using to tune in RTE.

Did a first time installation as was recommended to do and no sign of any of the Saorview channels. Did a terrestrial retune and still no luck. Any ideas?

Also, the EPG is showing "No Information Available". Any way to sort this out?

Software version is V3.8.1
    Hardware is V1.1

Sorry for diving in at the end but this is a bit of a monster thread so hoping someone might have answers for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

What kind of terrerstrial Aerial do you have in regard to receiving the RTE? You will need a UHF aerial to receive Saorview channels.

I found that the EPG only works properly when both the terrestrial and Satellite channels are present and then the clock also works on the epg when switching channels.

wonder is there another update for this box outside of these updates
    3.8.1 software
    1.1 hardware

• Advertisement

Dont think so as of yet thats the latest one Ive seen.

last time i was in contact with triax,they said there was a update coming,didnt say what it fix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

wonder is there another update for this box outside of these updates
    3.8.1 software
    1.1 hardware

Where can this sofware version be downloaded?
    Thanks

Where can this sofware version be downloaded?
    Thanks

came with box.but triax said be on there site which its not,did you there support agent in dublin

Triax's website always has and always will be there biggest let down...always put me off using any of their equipment as I like to be able to easily update any firmware and channel listings....its a shame.

• Advertisement

i know few installer who always said triax where good but they dont now,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Fat_Fingers

This mess reminds me of DARKBOX HD Rev 2008. Man, did i get it in the neck back then for been early adopter. Receiver promised so much and delivered nothing. And soon after support also vanished..
    That was one expensive lesson for me.
    I would say if you purchased it recently bring it back and change it for something good, even if you have to pay more.

Id agree with you KelticKnight...I love Triax products, they are great innovators but Inever liked any of their satellite equipment, the reason Is the support for them is rubbish and most boxes are simply cheap generic boxes with their name on them, televes have also started going down this road using comag made boxes and putting their own name stamp on them.

Company's such as Televes and Triax should be well up there in the world of technology but they struggle to compete on price which is why they throw their name on the generic stuff which is a shame as in the long run it has done nothing but tarnish their names in my opinion...

I have yet to come across a good combo box, I don't like the Ferguson combo as it doesn't have MPEG5 support which is a shame and guarantee that next year there will be countless people coming on here complaining about it., the triax one has it's problems biggest one being to tune it properly.. but otherwise it is nice as it has the red button functions of the BBC and rte terrestrial channels. I have a triax box here for the last 10 days with my own channel list running, I have disabled the Power save modes and since then have had absolutely no problem whatsoever but I havent tried the recording to USB functions.

Well I picked up one of these.

One word - frustration.

The idiot who released this should be made use one of these boxes.

And releasing a USB backup for channel settings by allowing flashing of non volatile memory is fecking useless to the end user for editing channel lists.

Its going back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69 ✭✭glenkeo

Hi
    I have one of these boxes for a while now I have a problem with the time, it seems to be on day light saving or something for the Irish channels , the epg shows the time 1 hour behind the nine o clock news on at 8 to 8.35, the other channel (more 4 etc ) show the correct time. It affects the record function, when you set a program to record and switch stations the timer moves an hour back. Also from time to time the picture is dropped for a few seconds every few seconds until i switch to stand by and back on again.
    (If this has been covered already sorry)

I noticed myself that the time only works when the terrestrial aerial is inserted, so it mite be worth while unplugging the box completely for a few minutes and then rebooting it, also go in and disable the standby energy savings, after I done both these things I've had no other problems whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tektronix

Would any kind soul have the usb channel list file for Cairn Hill for the Triax ST HD-537 ?.
    Regards .
    P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pprendergast

Hi, my triax st-hd 537s (I got 2) are working well EXCEPT for recording. I was able to record find on a 1mg usb stick, but when I bought brand new Iomega prestiget 750meg external hard drives, the system doesn't recognise them. Triax said 1. They don't understand why it doesn't work and 2. reformat FAT32 (which can only be done when you partition the drive and lose (750-35) megs of space, and by-the-way, still doesn't work. Any ideas?

For other Triax problems, people might find this website useful
    http://www.tvtrade.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 safariking

Hi, my triax st-hd 537s (I got 2) are working well EXCEPT for recording. I was able to record find on a 1mg usb stick, but when I bought brand new Iomega prestiget 750meg external hard drives, the system doesn't recognise them. Triax said 1. They don't understand why it doesn't work and 2. reformat FAT32 (which can only be done when you partition the drive and lose (750-35) megs of space, and by-the-way, still doesn't work. Any ideas?

pprendergast, i have the same issue as you. I was abou to buy a western digital passport 500GB usb hard drive in PC world but they said it probably would not be compatible. How can I find out what 500gb hard drive is compatible ? did you sort out your issue
    thanks

• Advertisement

safariking: No solution yet. Triax emailed said they are still looking for a solution. Iomega disk drive people asked to find out how much power is in the Triax's USB port. No answer yet.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Like with most satellite receivers, I'd recommend external drives that come with their own power supply, and not rely on USB power.

safariking: No solution yet. Triax emailed said they are still looking for a solution. Iomega disk drive people asked to find out how much power is in the Triax's USB port. No answer yet.

Its 5v phantom power.

USB3 drives are normally good if you dont want a powered drive. However, they dont work on ALL sat boxes.

is there another update for firmware and software coming out or is that it for this box

is there another update for firmware and software coming out or is that it for this box

These boxes have serious glitches, god help anyone who buys them. I actually got one, messed with it for two weeks and gave it back.

Pro's

MHEG5 "works" on both DVB-T and DVB-S. But it crashes too regularly and locks the box up. Infact a lot of stuff works off MHEG5. The interactive red button works off the BBCs. The freesat transponder reacts with this well. Infact if it wanted to, it could load the 7 day epg from that transponder.... it loads and loads but a key bit of the API is missing.

I liked the GUI display.

Cons

-Channel change very slow.
    - No extended programme information (an easy fix btw).
    -Sensitivity of dvb-t tuner bad.
    -No channel editor. Only way of backing up channel list is through backing up non volatile memory files not channel lists that are editable on a pc.
    -Does not support Diseq. This box is only suitable for 28.2.
    -Expensive price point.

The sad thing is that this box will I fear be shortly certified.

These boxes have serious glitches, god help anyone who buys them. I actually got one, messed with it for two weeks and gave it back.

Pro's

MHEG5 "works" on both DVB-T and DVB-S. But it crashes too regularly and locks the box up. Infact a lot of stuff works off MHEG5. The interactive red button works off the BBCs. The freesat transponder reacts with this well. Infact if it wanted to, it could load the 7 day epg from that transponder.... it loads and loads but a key bit of the API is missing.

I liked the GUI display.

Cons

-Channel change very slow.
    - No extended programme information (an easy fix btw).
    -Sensitivity of dvb-t tuner bad.
    -No channel editor. Only way of backing up channel list is through backing up non volatile memory files not channel lists that are editable on a pc.
    -Does not support Diseq. This box is only suitable for 28.2.
    -Expensive price point.

can't get program details off territorial but can on sat channels
    how you know this box will get certified

• Registered Users Posts: 10 adunne123

Hi I was going to by one from these guys, they say they are the dogs Bol*** yous dont seem to impressed Glad I did not purchaes.
    http://www.tvtrade.ie/triax-st-hd-537-satellite-combo-box.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

They also said the ferguson 120 was a terrible box but are now selling them.:)

adunne123 wrote: »
    Hi I was going to by one from these guys, they say they are the dogs Bol*** yous dont seem to impressed Glad I did not purchaes.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

The guys in Armstrongs wholesalers seem to think that a new model has been submitted for certification.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Digital Satellite TV

adunne123 wrote: »

We never said they were the dog'd b*******. We gave a fair assesment in both the videos and text on the site. It's up to the buy to read the features and limits and then they can make their own mind up for themselves.

Advertisement