Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SERIOUS ISSUES with Triax ST-HD537 Combi - Buyer Beware

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Digital Satellite TV

Tony wrote: »
    They also said the ferguson 120 was a terrible box but are now selling them.:)

Most of the issues are now resolved on the ferguson ariva 120, so that's why we decided to stock it. Simple as that.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Simple as that.......

Thats not what you wrote at the time but anyway .........:)

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 10 adunne123

Hi All,
    sorry for the confusion about TV trade. But if there is a lot of issues we should know before we buy most of us are up to date on thch jargon and if some thing looks good on a web site and video demos are fine thats all we have to go with.
    So any way which is the best combo unit to buy that will work.
    Regards Anto:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

I have had no problems with Triax combo only problem is the ridiculous tuning scenario.

Ferguson combos are also the same ridiculous tuning to get rite. Both boxes can be flashed with a USB pen which are handy for us installers once you have them rite, but the ferguson box does not have MPEG5 which is a serious letdown so I wont be recommending them to any1.

Steve you need to get this right as you have used the wrong term on more than one occasion. Its MHEG 5 which is the middleware (software) related to teletext and interactive menus . MPEG5 (MPEG is a transmission codec) does not exist yet , MPEG 4 is the current standard. The ferguson box was never designed for the RTe standard so I really don't see how you can describe this as a "serious let down" .

steveon wrote: »
    but the ferguson box does not have MPEG5 which is a serious letdown so I wont be recommending them to any1.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I've used both boxes and I find both of them grand. Both had some issues ironed out early on. There's still a few quirks, but on the whole, they're OK.

I'll be curious as to what chassis the new Triax model will use... Maybe an updated 537, or 527... or something totally different.

Steve you need to get this right as you have used the wrong term on more than one occasion. Its MHEG 5 which is the middleware (software) related to teletext and interactive menus . MPEG5 (MPEG is a transmission codec) does not exist yet , MPEG 4 is the current standard. The ferguson box was never designed for the RTe standard so I really don't see how you can describe this as a "serious let down" .

My apologies Tony...and thanks for pointing out

byte wrote: »
    I've used both boxes and I find both of them grand. Both had some issues ironed out early on. There's still a few quirks, but on the whole, they're OK.

I'll be curious as to what chassis the new Triax model will use... Maybe an updated 537, or 527... or something totally different.

As long as they give me an easy way of compiling a proper channel listing I will be happy, definetly in wait for this but cant wait to see the outrageous price they will slap on it as per usual..

• Registered Users Posts: 10 adunne123

Hi all.
    What do you think of this TV will it work for saorview, :)
    SJ32DMBB/18194/500

http://www.did.ie/Product/HANNSPREE-32andquot-FULL-HD-LCD-MPEG4-

byte

adunne123 wrote: »
    Hi all.
    What do you think of this TV will it work for saorview, :)
    SJ32DMBB/18194/500

http://www.did.ie/Product/HANNSPREE-32andquot-FULL-HD-LCD-MPEG4-
    Completely off topic, but yeah, the TV and radio stations will work.

However, I think it's this model that has issues with MHEG5, so no digital Aertel, or possible future services that may use MHEG5 middleware.

Considering the Walker 32" is about the same price, and is Saorview-approved, that is the TV in that price range that I'd recommend. Also, the Walker can playback video files via USB port, as well as record from Saorview via USB, which I don't believe the Hannspree can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭kelbal

Hi Guys,
    Hope you don't mind me jumping in at the end of this discussion - but I'm just trying to get an 'up to date' assesment of the Triax 537. Is the box still head-wrecking, as outlined with the first post? Would you recommend buying it? The main things are obviously reliability of signal and reliability of recording harddisk. Also being able to order channels as I wish would be nice.

thanks in advance

There is a new model due out from Triax so mite be worth waiting on as it mite be saorview approved, there is currently no Saorview approved PVR.

There is a new model due out from Triax so mite be worth waiting on as it mite be saorview approved, there is currently no Saorview approved PVR.

Yes I hear from Armstrongs that it has been submitted for approval.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭pms7

Got one from TV Trade with their 320G HD. Both working great. I had put off buying due to reading about problems. The "Now / Next" info on the sat channels doesn't always work, but see you can set a manual record, which I didn't think you could do.

Yes I hear from Armstrongs that it has been submitted for approval.

Thats good to hear Tony now I await to see their outrageous price as a result lol....

Thats good to hear Tony now I await to see their outrageous price as a result lol....

Yeah :) Hopefully we will be surprised

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Liam Good

I have a Triax SD-537 and am having issues with the picture dropping for a few seconds, quite often. The aerial is outdoor with a masthead amplifier and directed towards Mt Leinster. I am near Abbeyleix. Also issues to recording programmes where some of the recording is missing, recording to a 1TB WD HD with external power. The signal strength is 97% signal quality is 80%. Any ideas what is going on? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Liam Good wrote: »
    I have a Triax SD-537 and am having issues with the picture dropping for a few seconds, quite often. The aerial is outdoor with a masthead amplifier and directed towards Mt Leinster. I am near Abbeyleix. Also issues to recording programmes where some of the recording is missing, recording to a 1TB WD HD with external power. The signal strength is 97% signal quality is 80%. Any ideas what is going on? Thanks.

Oh that just happens to be one of many major issues with that box being sold for €170 in retails. Sensitivity of the tuner. Black Screens ? Yeah ? Signals dont just disappear now do they, they may pixelate, stutter or freeze, but black screens, come on Triax!

Bring it back. I did.

I have a CTECH 5000C+ and a Ferguson 120 Combo. Neither have this issue or any of the other annoying traits of this box ( which I already posted).

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭pms7

Wondering..., what teletext do you have now with the non MHEG5 boxes, and what teletext will you have when analogue siginal turned off ?

I have the Triax, sometimes, says couldn't record because no signal ?
    Can get a bit mixed up remembering where it stopped on playback.
    I hate the digital teletext, the picture is taking up too much space, and it is slower than old one. And this is supposed to be an upgrade?!
    At least I can still use the old one for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

ye i get that sometimes but only on the timer when recording from the terrestrial side, but still think it is a good box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

will there be any more updates for this box as triax are a waste of time asking them

personally i think it might be a waste of time , but i could be proved wrong

STB wrote: »
    Oh that just happens to be one of many major issues with that box being sold for €170 in retails. Sensitivity of the tuner. Black Screens ? Yeah ? Signals dont just disappear now do they, they may pixelate, stutter or freeze, but black screens, come on Triax!

Bring it back. I did.

I have a CTECH 5000C+ and a Ferguson 120 Combo. Neither have this issue or any of the other annoying traits of this box ( which I already posted).

Checked the Saorview website and should have had my aeriel directed towards Kilduff, not Mt Leinster. After redirecting it, problem seems to be solved, and that is using the yellow tip uhf aeriel, not the recommended green tip C/D aeriel. So I think anyone looking for a combo stb with MHEG5 should not dismiss it out of hand. Works for me, at least so far.

Liam Good wrote: »
    So I think anyone looking for a combo stb with MHEG5 should not dismiss it out of hand. Works for me, at least so far.

Yes Liam I must say that I did like the MHEG5 element of it. The box locked up on MHEG to many times though requiring a hard reset. The channel change is slow. The only way of editing the channels is via the remote. It cannot be used for any other satellite other than 28.2. It would not recognise a USB3 drive to record. It does not support media file formats (boxes half the price do).

I liked everything else about the box. Mind you I love messing with things that are broken. My missus hated the box.

Certainly hope that the Triax combo box that gets certified shortly is a lot better troubleshot.

Certainly hope that the Triax combo box that gets certified shortly is a lot better troubleshot.

That's if it gets certified. I hope it does but they were very confident last time out and we all know what happened.

Yes Liam I must say that I did like the MHEG5 element of it. The box locked up on MHEG to many times though requiring a hard reset. The channel change is slow. The only way of editing the channels is via the remote. It cannot be used for any other satellite other than 28.2. It would not recognise a USB3 drive to record. It does not support media file formats (boxes half the price do).

I liked everything else about the box. Mind you I love messing with things that are broken. My missus hated the box.

Well, as I said , I am happy with it for now. I expect more stbs will come on the market in the next year, and ideally I would like one with media file support, but as there is nothing currently available that ticks all the boxes for me, the Triax will do for now. I do intend to get another box for the bedroom, but as I live in a three storey house with very thick walls, my plan is another box and aeriel somewhere in the future. The Triax will probably then become the one I use in the bedroom. Having said that, I have found all the information here really helpful, and will continue to drop in and check for new boxes coming on the market and any other updated information, it is a one stop shop for Saorview info.

If Triax are bringing out a new combo box, I will certainly have a good look at it, and if it ticks all the boxes, I will definitely consider purchasing. Any idea when it is likely to be available?

Best thing about Saorview in my opinion is the fact it is free, and I now think a lot of the programmes on RTE etc. blow BBC and UTV out of the water, long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 fg70

Hello all,
    could anybody please help me with my problem with Triax ST-HD 537,when i set my recording for a set time it works well and no problems,but if the program goes over time i miss the end of the program,this week Vincent Browne goes over time by 30 mins and I am missing out all the time,can some one please help me.
    thanks for all the help.
    fg70

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 m_olly

What a pile of ****e ! I have read the whole 22 pages of this thread with regard to the triax 537. THe first post dating back to Feb this year and with all the twoing and frowing this STB is nothing short of muck.

I do however admire the endeavours of people on here that have endlessly kept us up to date of their efforts in keeping us tuned in with regard to the Triax 537.

LT You are to be applauded with all the info You have supplied.

Briefly

I am currently a UPC customer and I am cancelling soon hence me coming on here researching my next move. There is no Combo box out there that is capable of serving the public or their expectations with regard to MPHEG which is a pity.

The talk that this box has been sent of for Saorview certification is welcome - But Dont be fooled ! At best this will take up to 6 Months from a specification and or reliability point of view before Saorview approve. At this point leaning towards 2 boxes instead of Combo at least 2 boxes are certifiedand proven.

This is 2011 not 2001 Shame on Triax and their Research & Development centre on the 537 :p

byte

Probably best waiting now to see what new Combi Triax have in the works, which is in for certification. Not out til January, though, apparently.

• Advertisement

Thank you for your reply,i hope you will find my experience instructive.
    I got a Triax box and ST-HD 537 which gave me nothing but heartache,it turned all green when i was recording and I lost all my channels,got pissed off with it and that was only after 1 week ,so i got replacement with a opticum X7 and its a dream its perfect and its a Combo box,it works great.and I would highly recommend it.hope this is helpful to you.cheers fg70

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

We are using an LG TV for main DTT and out of Sub Sky HD box for UK HD/Sat.

We also have a media PC running plain XP pro, DVBviewer with MHEG5 plug in and it has 2 x DVB-S2 PCI cards and a dual tuner DTT USB stick. The red button video streams on BBC crash (but do amazingly select and play). All the current RTENL MHEG works inc the Out of hours message on RTE-jr etc.

I might get a domestic Ka-LNBF once Saorsat goes live as we have a 4 sat in by 16 receiver out Multiswitch. A quad or Quattro isn't needed for multiple tuners or Multiswitch. The plain single output should be fine.

Anything else we will hold off on till Autumn 2012.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 P.C.B.

Read through all of the threads on this box but decided that it was the only one that suited me so I said that I would give it a try with the promise from DID that if I had any problems I could return it and get an immediate refund. Pain to set up but channels fine . My problem is that the remote seems to have some of the same frequency's as the tv. When I use the Green button the tv switches off and when I press the across button the tv switches its input source and many more. Any Help

Please take my advice and get refund or go for the Opticum X7 box instead its a great box with no prob,trust me on this issue the Triax box and ST-HD 537 box is a big pain in the u know whats,get rid of.
    cheers hope this is helpful .
    Frank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

the only thing the triax has going for it is MHEG5
    I agree the opticum is a great box, looks to be a quality box too with a nice display.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hivas9

Have this box a few days firmware 3.8.1 and trying to work through issues mentioned earlier.
    1st. As regards switching channel time very slow, have set it to lowest 3 seconds. Can it be set to zero?

2nd. In AV Settings mine doesn't have 1080p only: 576p, 720p, 1080i. Is this the same for everyone else?

3rd. When watching old format programs in 4:3. The manual says to leave box set to 16:9 (Screen Size) if you have a widescreen TV but when an older program comes on say for example "only fools and horses" it has the black bars each side and " WIDE" button on remote doesn't work in this setting so kind of pointless then! Means you have to go into Settings and change Screen Size, unless there's some other way?

I've found this thread very informative and hope a few of these issues could be resolved with a further firmware upgrade. Any info on these issues much appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭ruffmut

Has all the issue's been sorted with this box now as I see it advertised in the DID electrical christmas catalogue as Saorview approved.

http://www.did.ie/content/Christmas-Brochure-2011/934

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭PressTheButton

ruffmut wrote: »
    Has all the issue's been sorted with this box now as I see it advertised in the DID electrical christmas catalogue as Saorview approved.

http://www.did.ie/content/Christmas-Brochure-2011/934

Well spotted ruffmut. Here is the advert from above brochure:

picture1mu.png

Strange. Saorview approval not yet confirmed here: http://www.saorview.ie/products-retailers/saorview-approved-product-listings/triax/

Anybody know if it actually got approved or is it an error by DID?

byte

If there is supposed to be a successor to this box for launch early next year, then surely Triax would not bother trying to approve the HD537...

The Saorview Approved bit stuck to the ad might be an error, maybe it was meant for a TR112 Saorview box instead.

Heard about the new model coming out actually. hopefully it'll be much better than the ST HD 537

• Advertisement

byte wrote: »
    If there is supposed to be a successor to this box for launch early next year, then surely Triax would not bother trying to approve the HD537...

The Saorview Approved bit stuck to the ad might be an error, maybe it was meant for a TR112 Saorview box instead.

Oh no its DID's mistake. They have been under the illusion that the box is certified for some months now.

Infact the Manager in the Wexford shop told me they were certified. I assured him he was incorrect. His stickers on the boxes told him otherwise.

They are not certifed. I have said it before and I will say it again, I hope they don't certify this box with software patches. Sony are already asking and being asked questions on how their "EX" range managed to pass Terracom's bench testing and were accordingly Saorview certifed despite having serious issues with displaying 7 day epg and extended EIT data in its country profile for Ireland.

has anyone noticed when watching BBC one hd , that if you pause it during live play, and start it again after a few minutes. the audio description will come on and not go off. It happened to me on Saturday while watching a programme. it is not the first time that it happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Johnsat

The only way you can give that receiver if you have the channel list pre arranged! if some1 asks me does it record i say NO!! great picture on HD is the only plus!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

Records fine for me using a USB memory stick. Maybe the firmware version is an issue?

Thank you for reply but thankfully I got rid of the ST HD 537 and got opticum X7 and no such problems with this box and im using a USB memory stick as I was with the other S++t of a box ,but as I said this box is great no snags with it,but thanks anyway.

rlogue wrote: »
    Records fine for me using a USB memory stick. Maybe the firmware version is an issue?
    ye i have no problems recording. try to pause live play. then start it after a few minutes. and see if audio description comes on and will not go off. only noticed this on bbc1hd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Does the Opticum X7 allow for two channels to be recorded at once? Or does anyone know where I can download the manual for it?

I think the channels have to be on the same transponder.

Email satworld they will probably have a manual for it, they are the distributors for opticum in ireland.

http://satworld.ie/product-info.php?Opticum_HD_X7_Combo_Satellite_Terrestrial_Receiver-pid184.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I have this Triax HD 537 box, I cant get RTE , TV3 , TG4 at all, it was there up to a week ago and started skipping and freezing, now its not doing anything, all the sat channels are fine, i have the aerial going to another room and its fine there for RTE etc so I dont think its the aerial.

Any ideas anyone??? Its a pain in the neck as Im after shelling out 180 approx for all this stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Galway

Max Powers wrote: »
    I have this Triax HD 537 box, I cant get RTE , TV3 , TG4 at all, it was there up to a week ago and started skipping and freezing, now its not doing anything, all the sat channels are fine, i have the aerial going to another room and its fine there for RTE etc so I dont think its the aerial.

Any ideas anyone??? Its a pain in the neck as Im after shelling out 180 approx for all this stuff.

Maybe you should have read the posts of the forum before. I had one on loan from a supplier in the summer, needless to say I did not hold onto it for more than 24 hours... a total nightmare.

• Advertisement
Advertisement