Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clocked Car I just discovered I have bought one

• 03-02-2011 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I bought a car about 3 months ago from a dealer in the Cork area, they are a member of SIMI which is the site I used to check out my car, and on the report for my car it clearly shows that when my car was imported from England that 43,000 miles disappeared off the clock! It was 96,000 miles before it left England and the Revenue clocked it at 40,000 when it arrived here.
    What can I do about this Or can I do anything at all?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You'll get better advice in the Motors forum, so I'm going to move it there.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

Find it strange that a dealership would overlook this to be fair, i would expect every car traded in to have a hpi/motorcheck done for their own benefit at least. Garage i used to work in insisted all sales staff got a printout for every trade in no matter how old. Very lax for a dealer let something like this slip through without being acknowledeged, hope you get something sorted !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Why did you buy it when you seen the report that showed a difference in the mileage..:confused:

-Corkie- wrote: »
    Why did you buy it when you seen the report that showed a difference in the mileage..:confused:

I reckon that for whatever reason he's doing the checks now :)

RoverJames wrote: »
    I reckon that for whatever reason he's doing the checks now :)

Oh. That is like closing the stable door when the horse is in the next parish.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭the_barfly1

Where did the other 13k miles go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

You bought it via the SIMI website www.beepbeep.ie?

'Buy with confidence from SIMI dealers you can trust'!?! :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mantaman

drive.it wrote: »
    I bought a car about 3 months ago from a dealer in the Cork area, they are a member of SIMI which is the site I used to check out my car, and on the report for my car it clearly shows that when my car was imported from England that 43,000 miles disappeared off the clock! It was 96,000 miles before it left England and the Revenue clocked it at 40,000 when it arrived here.
    What can I do about this Or can I do anything at all?

Have you spoken to garage about getting your money back?

Can anybody get that history check done, thought it was for SIMI members only?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 drive.it

I didn't see the report till today, bought car over 2 months ago...
    Only got access to the system today
    I know its silly to be checking afterwards but to fair i thought buying from a SIMI dealer would have been somewhat safe.

mantaman wrote: »
    Have you spoken to garage about getting your money back?

Can anybody get that history check done, thought it was for SIMI members only?

Haven't talked to them yet going in on Saturday to them.
    I work for a Dealer and had access to the system today and said I'd check to see my own reg. didn't expect to find this out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

I would'nt assume there is a fault with the dealer straight away, could be an error with the report too.

Where did the other 13k miles go?

yes yes I miss calculated! 40,000 or 50,000 miles both as bad as eachother

I didn't see the report till today, bought car over 2 months ago...
    Only got access to the system today
    I know its silly to be checking afterwards but to fair i thought buying from a SIMI dealer would have been somewhat safe.

SIMI isnt worth the paper it is written on OP. Bring it back to them with the report.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Motorcheck

Feel free to PM me the reg and I'll check it against our mileage register.

SIMI isnt worth the paper it is written on OP. Bring it back to them with the report.

What you mean by this? Surely by being a dealership they have some responsibility of selling me on a clocked car which they didn't check up on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I know a lad who bought a car from a dealer that was written off in another country, nevermind clocked! When he questioned them, they ignored him. Then he consulted a solicitor. Seemingly, in the contract there is a clause that you must go to arbitratrion before court. So he did that, won his case against the dealer, and the dealer folded up his business. Yerman never got a penny. Now his own solicitor is suing him for costs! The mind boggles!

Surely by being a dealership they have some responsibility of selling me on a clocked car which they didn't check up on?

Seems as you work in dealer can you not ask some of the sales lads or management at work and see what they reckon ;)
    They should be able to set you straight in fairness before you approach the garage who sold you the car.

I went to dealer yesterday and showed them the report, owner was not in so he said he will call me first thing Monday morning.
    I hope they sort me out right away otherwise it will be name and shame time!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

If they're SIMI they should have access to http://www.carhistorycheck.ie/, and by rights they should be checking each car using it before selling it on.

Ask them why didn't they check it, tell them you want to hand the car back, whatever you want to say. If they knew about it they don't have a leg to stand on, if they didn't know about it they should be willing to come to an arrangement with you.

Either way you're the one who's been wronged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

-Chris- wrote: »
    If they're SIMI they should have access to http://www.carhistorycheck.ie/, and by rights they should be checking each car using it before selling it on.

Ask them why didn't they check it, tell them you want to hand the car back, whatever you want to say. If they knew about it they don't have a leg to stand on, if they didn't know about it they should be willing to come to an arrangement with you.

Either way you're the one who's been wronged.

Should that show up details of UK mileage/damage? hire purchase? etc

• Advertisement

It'll show mileage at date of import, so if it was clocked there it won't show it, but if it was clocked here it would.

*IIRC, it's been a while since I've used it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭manta356

If you get no satisfaction from the Dealer,you should report the matter to the Gardai.The Dealer may say he didn't know if it happened before he got it,but as he's in the trade he has better access to these checks than you have.
    Your Contract of sale is with the Dealer.It is his responsibility to ensure that the Car he sold you was fit for purpose.As he is a member of Simi,you should also bring it to their attention.
    If the Report is accurate,it means that the Car isn't what it was supposed to be.This could mean that there could have been Fraudulent behaviour between the Selling of the Car in the Uk and your purchase.
    At the end of the day your Contract is with the Seller.

Merch wrote: »
    Should that show up details of UK mileage/damage? hire purchase? etc

The SIMI check shows history from new even if imported from UK.
    They have no excuse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 665 ✭✭✭madmac187

If you connect the car to a diagnostic will it not come up straight away, I thought, that the mileage has been reset???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭wee truck big driver

had a car checked and it said that the milage was suspect but didnt say why it was an english car and had a full history certifying mileage i even phoned them and they confirmed

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Doesn't the simi check show a history of previous checks done? If it could be determined that the dealer did a check pre sale then thats all the proof you need, as afaik the offence is the knowledge of selling a clocked car rather than the clocking itself.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

manta356 wrote: »
    If you get no satisfaction from the Dealer,you should report the matter to the Gardai.The Dealer may say he didn't know if it happened before he got it,but as he's in the trade he has better access to these checks than you have.
    Your Contract of sale is with the Dealer.It is his responsibility to ensure that the Car he sold you was fit for purpose.As he is a member of Simi,you should also bring it to their attention.
    If the Report is accurate,it means that the Car isn't what it was supposed to be.This could mean that there could have been Fraudulent behaviour between the Selling of the Car in the Uk and your purchase.
    At the end of the day your Contract is with the Seller.

Car can be clocked, and still be fit for purpose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Friend of mine has bought a clocked car that was a cat write off in a private sale. A UK 320D there's a few issues with the cars electrics, sensors and another few bits.

Does he have any come back at all, or is it a case of buyer beware etc.

Also what would happen if he was in an accident, would the insurance company pay out on a car which was written off in the UK. Not sure what type of write off exactly.

JJJJNR wrote: »
    Friend of mine has bought a clocked car that was a cat write off in a private sale. A UK 320D there's a few issues with the cars electrics, sensors and another few bits.

Does he have any come back at all, or is it a case of buyer beware etc.

Also what would happen if he was in an accident, would the insurance company pay out on a car which was written off in the UK. Not sure what type of write off exactly.

He has no come back if it was a private sale (possibly, if he could prove the seller knew it was clocked he'd have a better chance).

He needs to contact his insurance company to know what their reaction will be.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry for slow update but i recieved my money back in full last week!
    They tried to get me to take another car, but I stood strong and insisted on my money back!

I'm delighted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Well done.

Advertisement