Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The number of allocatable IPv4 adresses just dropped to zero

• 03-02-2011 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭

So that's it ,we ran out of IPv4 about an hour ago.Several RIRs are expected to run out of RIR IPv4/8 addresses before the end of september 2011.What's next?Roll out IPv6?.I heard windows xp is not supported altough I haven't checked.
    Free Pool of IPv4 Address Space Depleted
    IPv6 adoption at critical phase
    Montevideo, 3 February 2011 – The Number Resource Organization (NRO) announced today that the free pool of available IPv4 addresses is now fully depleted. On Monday, January 31, the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) allocated two blocks of IPv4 address space to APNIC, the Regional Internet Registry (RIR) for the Asia Pacific region, which triggered a global policy to allocate the remaining IANA pool equally between the five RIRs. Today IANA allocated those blocks. This means that there are no longer any IPv4 addresses available for allocation from the IANA to the five RIRs.

IANA assigns IPv4 addresses to the RIRs in blocks that equate to 1/256th of the entire IPv4 address space. Each block is referred to as a “/8″ or “slash-8″. A global policy agreed on by all five RIR communities and ratified in 2009 by ICANN, the international body responsible for the IANA function, dictated that when the IANA IPv4 free pool reached five remaining /8 blocks, these blocks were to be simultaneously and equally distributed to the five RIRs.

“This is an historic day in the history of the Internet, and one we have been anticipating for quite some time,” states Raúl Echeberría, Chairman of the Number Resource Organization (NRO), the official representative of the five RIRs. “The future of the Internet is in IPv6. All Internet stakeholders must now take definitive action to deploy IPv6.”

“This is truly a major turning point in the on-going development of the Internet,” said Rod Beckstrom, ICANN’s President and Chief Executive Officer. “Nobody was caught off guard by this, the Internet technical community has been planning for IPv4 depletion for quite some time. But it means the adoption of IPv6 is now of paramount importance, since it will allow the Internet to continue its amazing growth and foster the global innovation we’ve all come to expect.”

IPv6 is the “next generation” of the Internet Protocol, providing a hugely expanded address space and allowing the Internet to grow into the future. “Billions of people world wide use the Internet for everything from sending tweets to paying bills. The transition to IPv6 from IPv4 represents an opportunity for even more innovative applications without the fear of running out of essential Internet IP addresses,” said Vice President of IANA Elise Gerich.

Adoption of IPv6 is now vital for all Internet stakeholders. The RIRs have been working with network operators at the local, regional, and global level for more than a decade to offer training and advice on IPv6 adoption and ensure that everyone is prepared for the exhaustion of IPv4.

“Each RIR will have its final full /8 from IANA, plus any existing IP address holdings to distribute. Depending on address space requests received, this could last each RIR anywhere from a few weeks to many months. It’s only a matter of time before the RIRs and Internet Service Providers (ISPs) must start denying requests for IPv4 address space. Deploying IPv6 is now a requirement, not an option,” added Echeberría. IPv6 address space has been available since 1999. Visit http://www.nro.net/ipv6/ for more information on IPv6, or your local RIR for information on how to get address space.

Notes to Editors

About the Number Resource Organization (NRO):
    The Number Resource Organization (NRO) is the coordinating mechanism for the five Regional Internet Registries (RIRs). The RIRs – AfriNIC, APNIC, ARIN, LACNIC, and the RIPE NCC – ensure the fair and equitable distribution of Internet number resources (IPv6 and IPv4 addresses and Autonomous System (AS) numbers) in their respective regions. The NRO exists to protect the unallocated Internet number resource pool, foster open and consensus-based policy development, and provide a single point of contact for communication with the RIRs. Learn more about the NRO at www.nro.net/media.

About the Regional Internet Registries (RIRs)
    The five Regional Internet Registries (RIRs) that make up the NRO are independent, not-for-profit membership organizations that support the infrastructure of the Internet through technical coordination. The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) allocates blocks of IP addresses and ASNs, known collectively as Internet number resources, to the RIRs, who then distribute them to users within their own specific service regions. Organizations that receive resources directly from RIRs include Internet Service Providers (ISPs), telecommunications organizations, large corporations, governments, academic institutions, and industry stakeholders, including end users.

The RIR model of open, transparent participation has proven successful at responding to the rapidly changing Internet environment. Each RIR holds one or two open meetings per year, as well as facilitating online discussion by the community, to allow the open exchange of ideas from the technical community, the business sector, civil society, and government regulators.

Edit: windows XP is supported

How to install and uninstall IPv6:

To install IPv6 on your Windows XP computer, follow these steps:
    Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
    At the command prompt, type netsh int ipv6 install and press the Enter key on your keyboard.
    Close the Command Prompt window.

To uninstall IPv6 on your Windows XP computer, follow these steps:

Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
    At the command prompt, type: netsh int ipv6 uninstall and press the Enter key on your keyboard.
    Close the Command Prompt window and restart the computer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

But Installing IP6 won't solve the problem and currently will increase your vulnerability to attack on Windows. Try installing IP6 on PC s all LAN and Router and turn off IP4 and tell me what works?

Don't turn on IP6 without verifying:
    • Your router supports it properly
    • Your ISP and their Edge Routers support it properly
    • They can allocate you IP6 public IPs. Otherwise where do you get an IP?
    • That your IP6 stack supports the correct IP allocation method. The first two released methods are "broken", one due to privacy as it used the Mac address as part of the IP6 address creation.

In fact advice to users of Mac, Linux and Windows having networking problems with email, browsing and ftp is usually to turn off IP6.

Also only about 14% to 16% of IP4 public IPs are actually publicly routed/used. There isn't even 1/4 of 4 Billion Public Facing TCP/IP devices in the world. Certainly not in in use at same time. Most ISPs and all Mobile Operators only allocate IPs to in use (or connected Mobile) devices, not per customer.

So over 80% of IP4 are technically available to be re-used and issued to servers or users on the Internet.

How many ISPs have run out of IPs to allocate?

The future is IP6, or a revised version of it. But "Today's" problem is that while we have been told we don't "own" and can't buy IPs, 100s of Millions (over Billion?) are inappropriately allocated and there is still no official re-allocation or trading mechanism. What have the authorities been thinking of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Don't turn on IP6 without verifying:
    Your router supports it properly
    Your ISP and their Edge Routers support it properly
    They can allocate you IP6 public IPs. Otherwise where do you get an IP?
    That your IP6 stack supports the correct IP allocation method. The first two released methods are "broken", one due to privacy as it used the Mac address as part of the IP6 address creation.

My router does not support it and as far as I can see IP6 routers have only been released last year cisco released this last year.It's pricy.I have put the same question to eircom as ALL their routers are IP4.When the big shots like facebook and google start using IP6 as a primary addressing system that's when the pressure will be on to change.Maybe they can run IP4 and IP6 parallel for a year while they're making people aware that they need to change over to IP6 supported router.

All the big MNC's had IP6 test day on June 8th 2010.So I think they'll steamroller ahead with this tbh.A bit like the digital change over only faster 3>4 years or less

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Heres a good site that tests your IP6 connectivity and gives a detailed report on what you can and cannot do

http://test-ipv6.com/#

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you add IP6 you have to keep using IP4 till you have no IP4 destinations.

So in parallel for more like 20 years than one year.
    • Your IPv4 address on the public internet appears to be 78.137.***.***
    • 12/14 tests run
    • No IPv6 address detected [more info]
    • World IPv6 day is June 8th, 2011. No problems are anticipated for you with this browser, at this location. [more info]
    • You appear to be able to browse the IPv4 internet only. You will not be able to reach IPv6-only sites.
    • Your DNS server (possibly run by your ISP) appears to have IPv6 internet access.
    Your readiness scores
    7/10 for your IPv4 stability and readiness, when publishers offer both IPv4 and IPv6
    0/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only

You will not be able to reach IPv6-only sites. Well, which site except sites that don't want the ordinary public are going to be IP6 only before everyone has IP6? None

There is no date or plan for Servers to be IPv6 only.

We do need to do something. But it involves sorting out the current IPv4 allocation mess and having an actual Migration plan for IPv6. There is no plan.

Not quite sure why I get rated 7/10!
    No IP6 on modem
    No IP6 on the separate router (though I can install it, as it's Kamikaze OpenWRT version of linux on an x86 Geode)
    No IP6 installed any device (I have some laptops / PCs for legacy applications that can't take IP6 and virtually none of our many WiFi gadgets can do IP6 at all ever).
    I'm fairly sure my ISP can do IP6 on their systems generally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭zeris

I use a IPv6 in IPv4 tunnel with HE IPv6 Tunnel Broker and score

10/10 for your IPv4 stability and readiness, when publishers offer both IPv4 and IPv6
    9/10 for your IPv6 stability and readiness, when publishers are forced to go IPv6 only

No need to wait for your ISP to provide IPv6.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

zeris wrote: »
    I use a IPv6 in IPv4 tunnel with HE IPv6 Tunnel Broker and score
    I'd go with a SixXS tunnel. HEAnet provide their Irish PoP, which would be faster than HE's London PoP.

Advertisement