Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barebones Laptop Help Needed

Options
  • 03-02-2011 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I am looking for a potential barebones laptop case. I am hoping to be able to keep the components from my current laptop.

I bought this machine 4 years ago http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/Rock_Xtreme_CTX_Pro_XCTX-PRO-T72-ESP/version.asp
    At the time it was marketed as a gaming desktop replacement.
    I have been trawling the net for a potential case, but have found they are hard to come by.

I have experience of upgrading desktops, when it comes to laptops I am a noob and was hoping someone here could point me in the right direction.

My current state laptop, linked above has many issues related to its case:
    -keyboard broken (using USB keyboard)
    -Screen Hanging off
    -Disk drive inoperable
    -Can't turn on wireless due to broken keyboard
    -Power input jack broken (jack disconnected from circuit board)

As you can see all the issues are related to the laptops case. It seems a waste to throw away all the components which in my opinion still make a decent system. I would like to keep the components particularly the graphics and hopefully CPU, wireless, RAM and even the HDD.

I have since bought a Gaming desktop, so I will be using this machine as a general use secondary system. I don't want to spend too much max budget E400.

What do you guys think?
    - Is it worth even thinking of this, or should i just buy a new system
    - are the components worth keeping, compared to the newer stuff
    - Where can i buy a barebones laptop
    - can i simply switch components in a laptop, (gpu,cpu)
    - could i consider a second hand system and the move components

Thnx in advance.

Advertisement