Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo World, anyone been?

Options
  • 03-02-2011 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Hope his is the right section.

Just wondering has anyone been to Nintendo World in New York and what did they think, the store doesn't look that big on their site.
    Anyone been to any other Nintendo specific shops worth visiting?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Meh, it's OK. Some cool tshirts and the like but nothing special. If you're nearby - and you probably will be, pretty sure it's right next to the Rockerfeller Building and the other main areas - it's worth a gander as there's some decent stuff there. But wouldn't think you're missing out on anything particularly special either, unless there's a game launch or anything on.

Still wear my Zelda tshirt though!

Pokemon store in Japan is the only other specificaly Nintendo store I've been to. Not a big Pokemon fan, but if you are you'll probably find a plush toy of your favourite Pokemon wearing a funny hat or something :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I was there last year and I'm glad I went. It is pretty small and didn't have as much cool stuff as I expected but it was good. It is a glorified Nintendo shop basically but you can find some nice items to buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I've been to the Nintendo Store in New York, it's a bit small and expensive but they have some really cool merchandise and t-shirts. It also has a kind of museum vibe with various retro consoles and bits of Nintendo history dotted around in display cases. It's definitely worth a visit if only for a look around.

I was also at the Pokémon Centre in Tokyo, and I'm a big Pokémon fan so I was in heaven. It has every kind of Pokémon merchandise you could imagine under one roof and the stock updates constantly (it was all new Pokémon from Black and White when I was there).

Also in Tokyo I went to the Square-Enix Character Goods Showcase which was filled with Final Fantasy/Dragon Quest merchandise, emphasis on the Dragon Quest. Like the Nintendo store it has a mild museum vibe with a special area set aside to display some super-expensive models.

Finally, and it's not a shop, but if you're ever in Tokyo I'd also recommend going to Luida's Bar. It's basically a tiny bar/restaurant themed on Dragon Quest. The waitresses all wear Dragon Quest outfits, the food is all shaped like Dragon Quest enemies, there are swords, slimes and other decorations all over the walls and counter plus it constantly plays music from the different Dragon Quest games. I visited it and the Pokémon centre on the same day - best birthday treat ever!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I went to Nintendo HQ for the lulz a few years back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,478 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I went to Nintendo HQ for the lulz a few years back.

The Kyoto one? I was half tempted to go, but according to internet accounts its a nondescript office building with a Nintendo sign :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

The Kyoto one? I was half tempted to go, but according to internet accounts its a nondescript office building with a Nintendo sign :pac:

That's exactly what it is. You can go into the reception and there's a Nintendo shop, but that's it. Years ago you were able to tour the building but not anymore.

Kyoto itself is far more interesting than the dull building tbh :pac:

Advertisement