Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When flashes blow

• 03-02-2011 8:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭

Not as interesting as the title might suggest - My flash gun just kicked the bucket. It's been making a light 'pop' sound for the past week and finally gave out a loud bang tonight and died.

Can anyone explain why this happens? It was a cheap unit, if it was a Nikon I'd be well pee'd off. Is this common? I only have it 5mths.

Also, can you recommend a very cheap but half decent flash? Preferably a model not prone to blowing up for no apparent reason.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Is it not still under guarantee? or maybe it was an e bay china sort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

The latter, unfortunately. I got hit by customs on it too. I can't even remember if there was a warranty with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

What model was that?

Yongnuo-460

Never gave me any problems until very recently. There are newer versions by the same company and a lot of people use them because they are nice and cheap. But, if this one blew like that ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭zerohamster

Its usually just shoddy flash tubes that they have in them that blow.

Also not too cheap (got one for €214) but the Nissin Di866 is a lovely model that I would recommend checking out and it has great features and a very high GN.

• Advertisement

That's a lot more than i want to pay right now :(

Why are the Nikon models so mad expensive too? the SB-900 is about €400! I know they'll be fast recycling, powerful and a lot more reliable, but that is mental pricing.

Ah I see, then may I suggest looking at the Sigma DG 530 which is about €108 or the Nissin Di622 which is roughly the same price. They are supposed to be good for automatic use on camera etc... but not so much so for off camera stuff because of a lack of manual control.

I know its as expensive as a low end SLR, its the same as with lenses...you pay for the brand and the quality control is that bit higher then say sigma or others but you pay a lot extra for those properties.

I think I only used the flash on camera twice, before I bought a cord and then the triggers. I have a light stand/umbrella and usually fire it from that. Thinking on it now it did get knocked over once a few weeks back [the trouble with small kids eh]

I don't mind manual flash or lack of zoom or anything fancy, just a simple controllable light that will fire from across a large room. I'll look into those models, cheers.

Ah I see, yeah they should work with cord and triggers no problem and possibly still with TTL (Im not sure though). In saying that I have heard that its much better to have manual control for off camera flash which is why the Di866 is pretty good.
    Yeah even a small fall with one of the chinese models can put the flash tube on its last legs so that could have been the cause of it being louder and then blowing.

The handy thing about those models is the TTL for on camera and off camera for simpler uses (be careful to look for the respective model for Nikon so it has I-TTL).

I know the Yongnuo let me down, but it did get a knock, so I'm looking at a later, faster version:

http://www.amazon.com/YN-560-Speedlight-Flash-Canon-Nikon/dp/B004GZLFHM/ref=pd_ts_e_44?ie=UTF8&s=electronics

Bit tight at present and I had hoped any spare cash was going towards the macro lens I wanted, but ... this is now priority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

If you are getting a new one go for one with manual control. Honestly makes a huge difference, I never use ttl, always set my flash manually to control the amount of light I use.

I almost had a heart attack today when my newly repaired flash made that popping sound but I think it may be down to the d200, as soon as I put it on the d300 it was working perfect again no popping sound at all.

The yongnuo units only work in manual. At least the cheaper units. The 560 recycle time is an impressive 3 seconds. A lot of pros use them as back up and additional units apparently. I like to control the light too. I'm using a D90 now, it never gave me any problems on the D200. If you're getting the popping sound too it might be on the way out! Mine was doing it for a week or more before blowing.

I had a Yokozuna 560 before. I made a thread on here, if anyone remembers. I dropped my Metz 48 AF-1 for Olympus, so wanted to get a new flash. Though this time, for my Canon.

I got the Yokozuna, and it was dead within 30 minutes of light use. That was enough to put me off that brand for the rest of my life. Too much hassle sending it back to Hong Kong and such (though in fairness, the seller was excellent and refunded my shipping costs without me even having to ask).

I eventually (last week) bought another Metz 48 AF-1, this time for Canon. I'm very pleased with it. I just like the Metz one, and although my only 'off camera' experience so far, is triggering it with the Olympus pop-up flash, it hasn't failed to fire once (and when I first got my Metz, I went really overboard with continuous firing and such, I'm surprised I didn't burn it out straight away, but even today, after a drop that broke it's foot mount, it's still ploughing away without a bother).

My only complaint is that when it's in Slave mode, you can't adjust the power. This means that it takes about 30 seconds of fidgetting to adjust the power in slave mode (exiting slave, adjusting power, re-entering slave). Out from that, I love it.

I ordered some of the wireless triggers on eBay that you linked to before, Cagey, and I hope to have them early next week, so I can try my luck with off-camera flash.

But anyway, the short version of my post is that I highly recommend Metz. I've only had light use of the Yoko Ono that died on me, and have only held, but not actually used, a Canon 580 EX II, but I like Metz, and will most likely stick with them for good.

My biased, Yongnuo-despising, advice: Save for a better brand. Even if you don't go with Metz. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

The Yongnuo 560 gets a great review from the strobist site last august. A note on the recycle time - an impressive 2 seconds on NiMh's but 10 pops on the trot and it will head into cool down mode which takes a number of minutes - this, being one of few flaws.

If you're getting the popping sound too it might be on the way out! Mine was doing it for a week or more before blowing.

Shouldnt be, it was only the second use since a service, wires replaced and new bulbs. Haha Im going to be a paranoid wreck now.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    The Yongnuo 560 gets a great review from the strobist site last august. A note on the recycle time - an impressive 2 seconds on NiMh's but 10 pops on the trot and it will head into cool down mode which takes a number of minutes - this, being one of few flaws.

I've read few reviews, some great, some experienced similar to KKV. Seems you can be very unlucky and get a duff one. Not sure what to do now. Knowing my luck in general. Sounds the job for me and a very attractive price. I've only bought gear from Amazon once, any idea on their return policy? J.I.C

I have a lens up for sale atm, had a few offers, trying to get much as I can for it. If it sells soon I may go for a better model, if not, I might just have to hope for the best on a good copy of the 560.

Shouldnt be, it was only the second use since a service, wires replaced and new bulbs. Haha Im going to be a paranoid wreck now.

When you hear a 'pop' check the flash head for a vague burning smell, that's what i was getting from mine before it busted, I'd say it got a crack when it fell and that was growing every pop.

When you hear a 'pop' check the flash head for a vague burning smell, that's what i was getting from mine before it busted, I'd say it got a crack when it fell and that was growing every pop.

Thanks, will do, didnt hear any pop on the d300. Will take it out tomorrow and take a few pics and see if it happens again.

Ah I see, then may I suggest looking at the Sigma DG 530 which is about €108

Where did you see this model for that price? It's €199 in conn's. Just checking a few options out here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Where did you see this model for that price? It's €199 in conn's. Just checking a few options out here

The Vivitar 285 would be another option if you just want a manual flash.

Any idea on the recycle time on those?

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews1463.html

Some strange user reviews on there:

"My new Vivitar 285HV exploded and spewed smoke 5 minute into testing."

:/

• Advertisement

Sorry about that, I looked up the sigma again and couldnt find it for anywhere near that price. I checked the exact link of the one I had bought (and returned to buy the Nissin Di866) and it had risen to £166 :O

This is the cheapest and best priced one I could find around here (nikon version).

Dont forget thought if you want manual control these wont be the flash for you and you probably be better with the yonguo. The reason I went for the Nissin Di866 is because it can do everything the canon 580 EXII can do with GN60 and a lovely LCD that makes everything so nice to set up and easy with lots of different modes that are worth looking up.
    I got mine for €188 from a seller in Italy that would seem dodgy on ebay only accepting bank drafts but is actually completely legit and its a lovely flash!

The Di622 is available in camera exchange for €150. Worth it?

The Di622 is available in camera exchange for €150. Worth it?

Defo go the extra €60 and get the Di866 if you can, Check out the reviews of it. I have the Canon mount (E-ttl) version and Ive gotten to use it a couple of times but its really a nice flash and very easy to use with plenty of functionality.
    The Di622 is similar to the sigma 530 DG ST with the lack of manual controls but the Di866 has some very usefull modes for off camera use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

what manual controls are missing, i have one anc you can set power etc manually

one thing you have to be careful of is that you need to do a mod to fire them with most of the wireless triggers

Does the Di622 have controls on the back? I was looking at one back in the summer and I thought it was only an auto model from what I had seen.
    I must be getting mixed up with another model so :S sorry about that.

I've been reading around, and any model I've looked into has it's good and bad user reviews. The Di622 doesn't seem to like any cheap triggers, which is what I have. Also, a lot of people complaining about it going to sleep if left alone for more than a few seconds!? And you have to wake it up by pressing a button on the unit. That has to be a right pain!

The YN-560 is looking like no more a risk than the others, and it's loads cheaper. If I order through Amazon uk I'm covered in case of faults right?

might be a bit late but just spotted this Di622 for Nikon on adverts if the guy's sale falls through.

Seen that alright, cheers. But I ordered the YN-560 yesterday after a lot of searching. If that ad had been up at the time I'd have been first in, as I was keeping an eye out, always miss a good bargain :mad: But ... as said, i have heard that model doesn't like cheap triggers.

Fingers crossed I get a good unit! Thanks for all suggestions, in the end I had to go with the cheapest option. Worked out about €70, and some of the reviews I watched on youtube compare it directly to the 580ex? in terms of build quality and power/options. I'm not sure which Nikon it would compare to. But it's about 1/5th the price of the SB900.

My 560 finally arrived this morning. After being held by customs ... Just watch that if you think ordering through Amazon.co.uk is any different to ebay. Cost me an extra €19, pushing it close to €90 overall.

So far so good, this thing is lightning fast, recycles in about a second on new batteries.

It's better built than the 460, The head is wider, it's got 24-105 zoom, and beep when ready function [which is not very useful as it's so quick to recharge, at least on full batteries] The new battery compartment door is much better too. The old one hung loose when open, and felt very fragile. This one has a more solid slide and pop open hinged door, much like the memory card slot door on a dslr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Just watch that if you think ordering through Amazon.co.uk

Was it sold to you directly from Amazon.co.uk or via a 3rd Party seller who sells via Amazon.co.uk?

I've never had any customs issues when buying goods directly from Amazon.co.uk

My missus ordered it for me, she pretty much typed in the make and model I asked for into amazon.co.uk and bought through what looked like the usual description page. She got an email with the tracking number shortly after, showing that it was dispatched from HK. I knew as soon as she said it that I was going to get stung yet again. Last time on the older model of this flash, bought through an ebay seller.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Defo not bought direct from amazon.co.uk so.

I'll get her to check later, They wont be getting a good rating from us that's for sure.

Advertisement