Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

babies temperature

Options
  • 03-02-2011 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

hi all, my son is 4 weeks old, and i was just wondering,whats the ideal temperature for a baby?? i read on a pampers email that i got that to contact your gp if your babies temperature was above 38.5 or below 37.5!! but the few times i checked my sons it was always about 36.6 or so,,, does this mean his temp is too low??? confused about this one,, any help would be great thanks.........

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I don't think that's right. The mean human body temp is 37 but it varies between individuals. My son's normal temp is 36.5.

I like to consult the Dr. Sears site on this kind of thing as it's thorough.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t082100.asp
    WHAT TEMPERATURE CONSTITUTES A FEVER?
    Normal temperature – 97 to 99 degrees (36 to 37.2 Celcius).
    Low-grade fever – 99 to 100.9 degrees (37.3 to 38.3 Celcius).
    Common fever – 101 to 103.5 degrees (38.4 to 39.7 Celcius).
    High fever – any fever over 103.6 degrees (39.8 Celcius).

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jackben

hi das kitty,thanks for your reply, i was thinking it couldnt be right,dont no what i was reading on the pampers email i received!! thanks for the info on the temperatures, its good to no this...cheers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭rylie

A good tip we were told is to take your baby's temperature when they're well, all kids have a slightly different "normal" temperature so it's handy to have that to compare when they're not well.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jackben

hi rylie,, thanks thats a good idea alright,i check his temp nearly every second day so i can keep an idea of his `normal temp`. thanks for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I am a toddler with a temp of 34 degs and cant find out why!

• Advertisement

ddddddd wrote: »
    I am a toddler with a temp of 34 degs and cant find out why!

Do you mean you have a toddler with this temperature?

Have you tried more than one thermometer?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bryan23

Hi I'm just looking for some advice.
    My son is 6 months old his temperature was 38.9 when he woke up this morning I gave him calpoll and it brought it down abit but a hour later its straight back up to 38.9 should I go straight to A&E.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

bryan23 wrote: »
    Hi I'm just looking for some advice.
    My son is 6 months old his temperature was 38.9 when he woke up this morning I gave him calpoll and it brought it down abit but a hour later its straight back up to 38.9 should I go straight to A&E.
    Thanks

I would drop into gp if calpol and nurofen didn't get it below 39.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Also just as an FYI my mother in law works as a nurse in a childres hospital and she says the human body temperature raises as the day goes on
    hence doctors get a lot of calls in the evening about temperatures

3DataModem wrote: »
    I would drop into gp if calpol and nurofen didn't get it below 39.

Thank you I will bring him to my gp. was just highley worryed and my gp was not open until 9am thanks for the reply

• Advertisement

Do you have access to a nurseline that you can call for advice? Most of the health insurance companies have one as part of their policies.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

High temp not responding to Calpol or Neurophen usually signals an infection somewhere..

I would have baba stripped off under a fan.. and 'house call' the Doctor if surgery is closed tbh.. Best of luck.

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Do you have access to a nurseline that you can call for advice? Most of the health insurance companies have one as part of their policies.
    Thanks for reply have brought him to my gp he's on antibiotics and to keep him cool and continue with callpol thanks every one for the replys

Advertisement